Apple TV

Christof

Apple TV
« on: 10 Jan 2007, 10:00 pm »
Just caught wind of Apples release of the new Apple TV.  What do you guys think about this http://www.apple.com/appletv/?

windwaves

Re: Apple TV
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2007, 04:35 pm »
I think it will kick a**s !!

Already ordered.

Thanks to SJ I am now TW Cable free !!!  thank you thank you thank you.

I don't expect it to be perfect at first but I don't care, it's to me the perfect product I was waiting for for a long time.

ww

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2007, 04:41 pm »
You know, I don't really understand what that thing is good for.  I cannot think of a use for it in my house, but then I only use iTunes for my songs from CD.

windwaves

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2007, 04:48 pm »
I guess that is because you don't use iTunes for video (movies, TV shows, etc, news...).  Then certainly you don't have a use for it.

In my case, instead, I use and will increasingly be using iTune for lots of video content.  With appleTV then I will be able to stream that very content to my plasma TV, regardless of where my computer is in my apt.  Who wants to watch movies on a computer screen ?  not me, at least.

There are other ways of achieving the same result but they would require your Mac to be in the vicinity of your TV, which is typically not likely.  You could have long cables (DVI) but who wants cables !!?!?!?

Christof

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2007, 05:55 pm »
Windwaves

You might be the guy to ask here.  If I had this Apple TV thing, could I use the DVD player im my Mac, and stream dvd content to my HT projector or will this device only work with iTunes downloaded material?

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2007, 06:11 pm »
I don't expect it to be perfect at first but I don't care, it's to me the perfect product I was waiting for for a long time.
it's the iPerfect iMperfect box!  Now there's an enigma!  :scratch:

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:29 pm »
Windwaves

You might be the guy to ask here.  If I had this Apple TV thing, could I use the DVD player im my Mac, and stream dvd content to my HT projector or will this device only work with iTunes downloaded material?

How would you receive the data at the HT projector?  Also, this thing only has a 40 gig hard drive.  Here are the specs:

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:35 pm »

Thanks to SJ I am now TW Cable free !!!  thank you thank you thank you.

ww

What is "SJ" ?

nicksgem10s

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:45 pm »
My best guess is Steve Jobs

Bemopti123

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:51 pm »
Call me ignorant or shoot me, but as far as I am concerned, my biggest qualm with Apple TV is the resolution of the content that is to be streamed.  Someone mentioned in 123MacMini forum, what is the point of Apple TV, if it will output out less resolution than a wireless and much more capable MacMini?  Sure it is affordable, but common, SJ and Apple, we are in the beginnings of a High Resolution and High Definition wars.  Lower resolution+Itunes+ Ipod video in any place=fine, but the same, in a house, with 42+" of HD device, brother, it will SUCK. 

Now, shoot me :thumb:

PS:  BTW, I love Mac and Apple, I have a Nano and also two Apple computers, an older 1st Gen Mini and a G4 Laptop, but Apple TV, nah.

yertletheturtle

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:53 pm »
Windwaves

i have been wanting to know this also.  The DVD would appear on the computer's own "Front Row" interface but will it therefore be available at any networked appletv?  I doubt it.  One obvious solution is to import all your media into itunes via Handbrake (rips the Video TS file and encodes in quicktime in one step).  It may be howvwer that SJ (Steve Jobs) does not want to overtly compete with DVD player retailers and manufacturers.  I have not ordered mine yet.  I personally would rather forego the 40gb hard drive in favor of a ipod dock.

ctviggen

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:58 pm »
I don't know, it does say:

Enhanced-definition or high-definition widescreen TVs capable of 1080i 60/50Hz, 720p 60/50Hz, 576p 50Hz (PAL format), or 480p 60Hz

and

1280 by 720, 24 fps, Progressive Main Profile.

That seems to imply that it'll stream some high definition.  Now, if they take a 640x480 picture, scale it to 1280 by 720 and to 24 fps, then it's going to look terrible. 

I can't quite figure out if they're sending high def signals or if they're taking low def TV signals and scaling/adjusting to high def.

But for me, this isn't what I thought it was going to be.  I was thinking more along the lines of very large hard drive, TV/HDTV support, etc.  This just doesn't seem to have any of that.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2007, 10:19 pm »
Yeah I too have wondered about this. The "reality distortion field" at a Steve Jobs speech can be pretty strong.

When I saw the video iPod I thought, who is going to sit there and watch anything on a tiny screen. Then I heard they were actually going to sell movies on iTunes and I thought, are they selling true DVD quality movies to watch on an iPod? And I thought, how long will it take to download said DVD quality movies over the internet?

I have a feeling there will be different pricing for different resolutions, and you will be limited in how you can play back the movies like you are with the music you buy from Apple.

windwaves

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2007, 04:54 pm »
Windwaves

No you would not be able to do that.  The whole concept, at least for now, of the aTV, is that it works for iTunes and iTunes only.  But that is not to say, iTunes downloaded content only.  That is, I imagine that DVDs could be ripped into formats compatible with iTunes and then yes, streamed to the aTV.  Worth the effort ?  not sure, I think it depends on the people.

windwaves

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2007, 05:00 pm »
Call me ignorant or shoot me, but as far as I am concerned, my biggest qualm with Apple TV is the resolution of the content that is to be streamed.  Someone mentioned in 123MacMini forum, what is the point of Apple TV, if it will output out less resolution than a wireless and much more capable MacMini?  Sure it is affordable, but common, SJ and Apple, we are in the beginnings of a High Resolution and High Definition wars.  Lower resolution+Itunes+ Ipod video in any place=fine, but the same, in a house, with 42+" of HD device, brother, it will SUCK. 

Now, shoot me :thumb:

PS:  BTW, I love Mac and Apple, I have a Nano and also two Apple computers, an older 1st Gen Mini and a G4 Laptop, but Apple TV, nah.

Good points, especially in terms of rsolution, however I am not sure I totally get it.  MacMini is not wireless, it's just another Mac (small) with features no different than most other macs, except a bit more limited.  The wireless we are interested here is for video/audio.

My understanding is that aTV will work up to 720p, not so bad.  SJ announced all material switched to 480p on iTunes and I did notice quite a difference.  Hopefully 720p is next.

windwaves

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jan 2007, 05:00 pm »
My best guess is Steve Jobs

man you're good !
:)

windwaves

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jan 2007, 05:03 pm »
Windwaves

i have been wanting to know this also.  The DVD would appear on the computer's own "Front Row" interface but will it therefore be available at any networked appletv?  I doubt it.  One obvious solution is to import all your media into itunes via Handbrake (rips the Video TS file and encodes in quicktime in one step).  It may be howvwer that SJ (Steve Jobs) does not want to overtly compete with DVD player retailers and manufacturers.  I have not ordered mine yet.  I personally would rather forego the 40gb hard drive in favor of a ipod dock.

yep, I think that's what it is.

Now, as to compete with DVD player manufacturers .... hey it's destiny, may be not today or tomorrow, but dudes, cd's, dvd's, are going to be history (ooops, who am I to predict the future here ?  nobody).