room set up

rwerner

room set up
« on: 10 Jan 2007, 06:54 pm »
I've set up my salk ht3's on the long wall of a rectangular room, and find that low male voices and some female voices in the lower registers sound hooty, or emphasized.  This makes for difficult comprehension in following the dialogue in movies.  Would moving the speakers to the short wall rectify this problem?  (It would require alot of muscle to move my whole system, & I'm reluctant to do so without the hope of a positve return on the effort).

rwerner

Re: room set up
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2007, 07:42 pm »
The speakers are 6 months in use, and are about 5 feet (from the front baffle) from the rear wall and 7 feet from the side walls. Amplification comes from a BelCanto Evo-i, which produces about 125 watts at 8 ohms.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: room set up
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2007, 07:50 pm »
I've set up my salk ht3's on the long wall of a rectangular room, and find that low male voices and some female voices in the lower registers sound hooty, or emphasized. 

Could you expand a little on what you mean by "hooty"?  Are voices too heavy, like there's just too much midbass (between 60 and 100 Hz)?  Or is there a nasal coloration where the voice isn't particulary heavy but just seems too forward?
Can you move one speaker to a different location, using perhaps cheap extender wire, just to see if the presentation changes for that speaker?