USB DAC with headphone amp for AKG 701?

brj

USB DAC with headphone amp for AKG 701?
« on: 10 Jan 2007, 05:50 am »
I just started breaking in a new pair of AKG 701s, which will be my first foray into quality head-fi.  While I wait for the 300 hour mark, I've been reading everything I can about "feeding" them properly.  What I'd like to find is a nice USB DAC with a built-in (volume controlled) headphone amp.  I'm targeting a single box solution for portability and compactness on an office desk, and USB because an office computer will be the primary source.

The problem is that most such DACs are reviewed primarily as a DAC only, and not for the quality of the headphone output.  To further complicate matters, I've repeatedly read that the 701s need lots of juice to really sing, despite their 105 dB efficiency rating.  As a result, even the few DACs that seem to be well regarded for both their DAC and headphone amp abilities may not be appropriate for the 701s in particular.

So... any suggestions or guidance?

I'd like to keep the price reasonable, say more at the $270 Musiland MD-10 level than the $950 Benchmark DAC-1 level, but I have no problems looking at used or modded options.  If a $100 stretch gets me a miracle, however, let me know!

Many thanks!

chadh

Re: USB DAC with headphone amp for AKG 701?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2007, 07:13 am »

I don't know how it works with the K701s, but the Dared MP5 has received some positive responses, looks really sweet and is available direct from the US distributor for $399.  The website is a bit light on the information though: http://www.dared.us/MP-5.htm

In contrast to the Musiland, I suspect the Dared's weakness is in the DAC.

I bet a quick search at Head-Fi would reveal people who had tried the combination.

Chad

Loftprojection

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2007, 01:38 pm »
If you didn't check this site then go there, you will find more information then you've ever dreamed of about headphones and headphone related equipment (amps and dacs)...  There you can even get some deals on barely used stuff, headphone folks buy and sell equipment almost as often as I change my underwear!  :lol:

www.head-fi.com

brj

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2007, 04:11 pm »
Chad, thanks for the MP5 suggestion.  It certainly is an attractive unit, and it looks like the amp section would certainly be powerful enough for almost any pair of headphones.  I don't mind a tube DAC in concept, but anything I purchase is going to get pushed around an office desk.  This makes me a bit leery of exposed tubes.  (I say "office" in the loosest sense... I'm one of those poor denizens of cubeville!)

LP, thanks for the link the head-fi.  I've scoured that site continuously lately.  In fact, that was where I discovered the Musiland DAC - which I list not because I've somehow determined it to be the frontrunner, but rather because it was the most recent USB DAC/headphone amp I've researched.

Any additional suggestions welcome!

chadh

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2007, 10:45 pm »
If you didn't check this site then go there, you will find more information then you've ever dreamed of about headphones and headphone related equipment (amps and dacs)...  There you can even get some deals on barely used stuff, headphone folks buy and sell equipment almost as often as I change my underwear!  :lol:

www.head-fi.com

You'd better believe it!  I just don't understand how often they change over gear.  When people talk about the "flavor of the week", they usually expect it to have a shelf life a little more than a week.  But at head-fi, you need to make the most of your moment in the sun.  Then again, people seem regularly to sell gear that's been used by multiple owners for up to 80% of the MSRP.

I'm not sure how much a used PS audio USB unit goes for, but it was certainly well received when it came out.  I think retail is around $1000, so it might be available for around $600 used (that's just a guess.  This one's available for $775, so maybe I'm living in some dream world: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218440).  I guess the Lavry Black is around the same sort of price.

Oh, how could I forget?  I used to use a Meier Corda Aria with my K501s.  I liked it, although I had issues getting the dac to play nicely with ASIO.  I prefer the sound I get out of my CIAudio VHP-1 with VAC-1 now, though, using a squeezebox as source.  When I sold the Aria six months ago, I think a got around $375 for it.  I think there are other Meier products that might fit the bill too, along with some from HeadRoom (the total bit head?).

Chad

brj

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2007, 11:49 pm »
Quote from: chadh
Quote from: Loftprojection
There you can even get some deals on barely used stuff, headphone folks buy and sell equipment almost as often as I change my underwear!  :lol:

You'd better believe it!  I just don't understand how often they change over gear.  When people talk about the "flavor of the week", they usually expect it to have a shelf life a little more than a week.

Believe me, I've noticed the turnover rate on that site!  It really complicates things for a headphone newb seeking options!  :lol:

Quote from: chadh
Oh, how could I forget?  I used to use a Meier Corda Aria with my K501s.  I liked it, although I had issues getting the dac to play nicely with ASIO.  I prefer the sound I get out of my CIAudio VHP-1 with VAC-1 now, though, using a squeezebox as source.  When I sold the Aria six months ago, I think a got around $375 for it.  I think there are other Meier products that might fit the bill too, along with some from HeadRoom (the total bit head?).

The Aria is another product I've read about, as it seemed to be one of the "flavors of the week."  Aside from the ASIO issues, was there something in particular that you felt was lacking?

I'm actually very curious about the CIAudio products, but would still prefer a single box solution for the office.

chadh

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2007, 02:39 am »

The Aria is another product I've read about, as it seemed to be one of the "flavors of the week."  Aside from the ASIO issues, was there something in particular that you felt was lacking?

I'm actually very curious about the CIAudio products, but would still prefer a single box solution for the office.

Yes, the Aria got five minutes of fame in head-fi circles.  But even Meier realised the fickleness of the head-fi community, and had another "limited edition" amp released before all of the Aria units were sold.

I didn't really have any complaints about the Aria at all.  Even the ASIO problems probably had as much to do with Foobar as with the Aria.  I'm trying to reconstruct the logic in my mind, as to why I got rid of the Aria; but suddenly things are a little fuzzy.  At that time I had two headphone amps:  the VHP-1 (home) and the Aria (work).  I decided that I never used a headphone amplifier at home, so one should go.  I couldn't bring myself to part with the VHP-1, so I sold the Aria.  In some ways, it seems like a silly choice now: the one box Aria solution was really convenient and economical.  But I decided that there are enough low priced USB dacs out there that I could keep the VHP-1 without feeling I'd made a financial mistake.

I wish I could be more informative about the strengths and weaknesses of the Aria.  But the reality is that I never even did a serious side-by-side comparison between the VHP-1 and the Aria.  All I really knew was that the Aria always sounded fine.  But there were a couple of times at home where listening through the VHP-1 completely took my breath away.  That was enough to convince me to keep the VHP-1.

Chad

cph2000

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2007, 08:44 pm »
I own both a Dared MP5 and a TMS T200mkII amps (Timester audio)- I use grado headphones. I prefer the T200, it is a very good buy, and has given me coutless hours of sweet music.
Both amps are plug-and using the standard windows driver. Both amps also doubles as a (limited - power) integrated.