LRC problem

EMC

LRC problem
« on: 9 Jul 2003, 03:26 pm »
I received my 626R’s and LRC w/ FST upgrade last Thursday just before the holiday weekend (many thanks Brian and John). I am really happy with the sound of the 626 ribbons. Simply put they make music sound beautiful. I’m breaking them in and I haven’t tweaked placement but I’m really impressed with this design.

I’m not as enthusiastic about the LRC but I really want to be. The speaker is physically impressive and based on the sound of the 626R’s I expected the same detail and clarity. The problem was seemingly no output whatsoever from the FST. The result was a boxy, highly muted in the higher frequency type of sound. Pink noise varied greatly going from left-to-center-to-right with test tones and dialogue also suffers. I tried reversing polarity of the speaker wires and this seemed to help. I began to hear some tweeter output but it is very low and out of sync with the other drivers. I’ve already gotten instructions to send the tweeter back but I’m wondering if the entire speaker shouldn’t go back as I’m thinking something else is wrong. I also adjusted the pots on the rear and turned the treble pot all the way up and it still sounds the same. Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

shokunin

LRC problem
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2003, 06:54 pm »
It's very possible that during shipping a the tweeter's fragile ribbon might have been damaged by the shipping goons, or a cold solder joint decided to remove itself from the tweeter terminals.   In either way, it appears that Brian and john are already tackling this issue with you.

I don't see the need to ship the whole speaker back to replace the tweeter, but that's just me.  Who knows what they'll do to it the second time around   :|

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
LRC
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2003, 01:23 am »
Send the tweeter back to Itone Service, 2031 Rumrill Blvd #6, San Pablo CA 94806.  I doubt there is anything wrong with the speaker itself.