What to fill speaker stands with

TONEPUB

Re: What to fill speaker stands with
« Reply #20 on: 28 Feb 2007, 04:10 am »
What do you like to couple your speakers with?  Ive seen spikes, as well as a few
other things.  I am assuming that this is yet another method of fine tuning, depending
on the exact sound you want to go for...

EProvenzano

« Reply #21 on: 28 Feb 2007, 04:24 am »
What do you like to couple your speakers with?  Ive seen spikes, as well as a few
other things.  I am assuming that this is yet another method of fine tuning, depending
on the exact sound you want to go for...

I use blu-tack to good effect.  My monitors weigh 35lbs and the stands weigh nearly 50lbs.  With 6 quarter size spots of blu-tack between the speaker and stand, I can lift the speaker straight up and the stand stays stuck to the bottom. No matter how much I sway and wiggle the stand doesn't fall off.  Good stuff  :thumb:

Wardsweb

« Reply #22 on: 28 Feb 2007, 05:24 am »
I don't know about stands but I've used glass beads used in bead blaster for years in isolation sandboxes and even filled the walls of speaker cabinets with the stuff. Works great and is finer than sand, so it pours like water into any crevice or void.

chgolatin2

« Reply #23 on: 5 Mar 2007, 03:17 pm »
go to home depot and purchase some sand, cheap and its good however lead shot is the ONLY way to go.  I have tried both on my VR'2 speakers, sands works good but lead shot works even better imo

ssglx

« Reply #24 on: 27 Mar 2007, 04:21 pm »
I have played around alot with speaker stand fills.  My favorite is 50:50 mix of dry sand and steel balls for abrasive blasting (~10 for 5 pounds on ebay). Best balance of preserving low level microdynamics with holding down colorations. I tried lead shot, sand, cotton batting, and combinations of them all.

I also worked alot of coupling and decoupling materials and devices. The best one all around was decoupling with Vibrapods. That one achieved the great combination of warmth of tone along with great clarity.

Of course, decoupling means it now shouldn't matter what I run for a fill any more.  :D