Merlin TSM-MMs OK with RWA Sig 30?

claud

Merlin TSM-MMs OK with RWA Sig 30?
« on: 7 Jan 2007, 02:53 pm »
From what I have seen of the Sig 30, its a 30wpc @8ohm amp. Minimum for my TSMs is 30wpc. This would seem to work.
I have tried CI D100s and the small Nuforce, but not that happy with either compared to my Cary V12R in triod mode. Anyone here try the Sig 30 with Merlins?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Merlin TSM-MMs OK with RWA Sig 30?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2007, 05:37 pm »
I've had the Sig. 30 here now for about a month.
I've been using it with my Mirage M-3 speakers.... http://miragespeakers.com/PDFs/classic_manuals/M/M3/M3brochure.pdf

No...their not Merlin's....but their not hi-eff either....
I like what I'm hearing....simple setup.....EA Modded Sony 7700, Paradisea dac, RWA Sig. 30, Mirage M-3 speakers.

I have tried CI D100s and the small Nuforce, but not that happy with either compared to my Cary V12R in triod mode.
What did you not like concerning these amps with the Merlin's ?

Chris

Link.......Merlin page......

claud

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2007, 06:55 pm »
Wolfie,
How you like that amp Carl did for you? You guys really know how to party in NY. What a spread for the Christmas rave!!

We did a meet with the Nuforce, CI and at the end my Cary, all in my system. I had the CI amps on loan, and broke them in since they were new. The Nuforce were Shane's and already brokein. The Nuforce sounded more like tube smoothness and even a little juicy. The CIs were very detailed and dynamic, but lacking a hair of the Nuforce smoothness. I think my system is maybe a touch too revealing for the CIs with all the silver cords, or they were not fully broke in. (click on "2 ch system at the bottom)

Then as now, I'm still looking for a nice sounding amp for my small room for Summer use. All those tubes tend to heat up my small room.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2007, 07:16 pm »
Wolfie,
How you like that amp Carl did for you?
That would be the AKSA 100N+....love it....but....I don't have it here....its been "loaned out". :?
Carl did an excellent job putting it together :thumb:....100 watts, no heat, also one you might consider.

You guys really know how to party in NYC. What a spread for the Christmas rave!!
Thanks go to PhilNYC....he knows how to PARTY !!!! :lol:

The Nuforce sounded more like tube smoothness and even a little juicy.
I had an early model here...on audition. They were ok...strong bass, but I did not prefer them....not what I was looking for.

The CIs were very detailed and dynamic, but lacking a hair of the Nuforce smoothness.
I've heard the CI's a few times...I liked them. Maybe if you add a nice tube preamp....that's how I heard them....sounded good.

Then as now, I'm still looking for a nice sounding amp for my small room for Summer use. All those tubes tend to heat up my small room.
I know what you mean....my room is 12 x 12. Good heating is ok in the winter, but sucks in the summer... :lol:

The Sig. 30 ....there's no heat....so, it would be a good choice....but why not contact Vinnie....maybe he's got a "loaner"....but he does have a 30 day trial....test it out....hear it in your system.
And ....the AKSA....that's more power-100 watts....but you do have to build it....both are good choices.... 8)

Chris

WEEZ

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2007, 01:25 am »
claud, you have a PM

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2007, 02:48 am »
From what I have seen of the Sig 30, its a 30wpc @8ohm amp. Minimum for my TSMs is 30wpc. This would seem to work.
I have tried CI D100s and the small Nuforce, but not that happy with either compared to my Cary V12R in triod mode. Anyone here try the Sig 30 with Merlins?

Hi Claud,

The Signature 30 shouldn't have any trouble pushing your Merlins, and..

... it does not even get warm, does not take up much space, and has its own sound that you might want to try!  aa

Best regards,

Vinnie