Slew rates?

CE2

Slew rates?
« on: 7 Jan 2007, 10:25 am »
The Ultra hybrid series EC pre amp, Ultra bridge  are they all rated the same slew rates, like the incredible 800v/us or somewhere I think I read?  Is the OmegaStar EX pre amp, in the PAT 5 chassis I also use, the same high speed?  As I am using the PAT 5 OmegaStar EX as a bunch of extra inputs for  stuff since I did, yes use up the inputs on the Ultra Hybrid EC.  What if a new Ultra EC input selector module, where it could add say 6 or so more inputs, it would then feed the EC pre amp into one of the high level inputs,  and I could eliminate the PAT 5 ckts in the chain, just need a switcher..  And an Ultra switcher could be in teh same large chassis, to match teh Ultra pre amp..  don't know if there is any audible thing  by switching through the OmegaStar EX, then back to the EX Ultra. As I ain't really tried to discern, I hooked it all up, and played music!!! It sounds great, but maybe I is starting to get whacky, now and getting into all kinds of meaningless concerns when there ain't none.  :D :D :D :D :D 

WEEZ

Re: Slew rates?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2007, 10:43 pm »
Uhh, doesn't the EC have like (8) inputs? And your needing (6) more?  :o

wow, you must have sources that haven't been invented yet  :lol:  Seriously, I'll bet I'm not the only one curious as to why you need that many...care to expound? (There are switching boxes available from Decware, Mapletree, and others, btw).

Multiple amps; bridges; 14 sources; if I was a cable guy, I'd be soliciting your business  :green:

(And I don't know about slewing rates..but I'm sure the Ultra is more than good enough!)

WEEZ

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2007, 02:27 pm »
Once upon a time, Leonard Feldman of Audio magazine requested one of our early solid state amplifiers for review.  I think he had noticed that our advertising literature claimed an "infinite" slew factor, and his original motive was to stomp on us for false advertising.

Slew factor, by the way, (to simplify) is the ratio of the frequency at full power where a high frequency sine wave starts to distort, as compared to 20,000 Hz.  For example, an amplifier that started to screw up a 100,000 Hz sine wave would have a slew factor of 5.

We had designed our amplifiers then, and still do of course, so that no high frequency out of band single can ever cause the output to grossly distort.  Instead, as the frequency goes up and up, instead of distorting, the sine wave output simple decrease in amplitude.  Thus an accurately claimed "infinite slew factor."

Mr. Feldman tested the unit and was surprised to find that we were correct, our advertising was truthful.  The review in Audio was very complimentary indeed.

We design for this proper high frequency behaviour because the world is full of out of band garbage and when any component in your audio system chain saturates at high frequency, all audio signal entering the amplifier at the same time is lost.  You can't hear 100,000 Hz, but your equipment can, and you can hear the effects of the equipment getting in trouble at that frequency.  This of course is a major failure of IHF specifications, which assume that only audible range measurements are important.  This is one reason we are concerned about Class D switching amplifiers and their effects on the whole audio chain.  Their "sterility" we suspect comes from erasing much of the small signal detail that makes up the "spirit" of the music.  They play all the notes, but not the emotion.

Oh well, rambling again.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

martyo

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2007, 03:08 pm »
Thanks Frank, that was very enlightening. I had the pleasure of using my brothers 550 with my Carver Amazings which love all the juice you can feed them. No matter how complex the source and how hard I pushed, there was never ANY hint of straining or distress, even when I popped the speaker fuses in the 550. I can't say the same about my TFM75.

And for Weez:I have 1)DVD/CD player, 2)Vhs, still have concerts and movies I run thru the set,3)Tuner,4)Wireless Music Bridge, 5&6) 2 tape decks, 7) I like to run the TV thru the set for shows like Austin City Limits and other PBS music specials. Frank's preamps offer one more input than my old preamp and when I upgrade from the 3i I will gain an input because there won't be a phono stage. Right now I am doing some plugging and unplugging. It's the video stuff in my case.

CE2

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2007, 01:17 pm »
I use a few different SACD players, SACD/DVD-A playerwhich take up the inputs on the pre amps, FM tuner since   the CD only players I have a few, use the Ultra DAC through the Inday digital switcher, from the Ultra DAC  into the pre amp. My goal is the hook up stuff till I forget what switch does what.  Having a matching case like the EC Ultra pre amp, as a switcher, would be just that, matching in looks..

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2007, 02:35 pm »
It would be nice to build you a switcher box, but we do not have an appropriate faceplate for it and a one-off custom faceplate would be very expensive.  Are you really using all nine sets of inputs on your EC preamp?  Remember that you can use the two sets of tape inputs and the EPL inputs too for additional line level sources.

Frank Van Alstine

CE2

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2007, 07:14 pm »
I have a Philips digital  IS5021 in the EPL, I use sometimes for LPs.  Yeah all inputs I have used up.  A one time item would be two pricey for what it has to do, just be an input switcher.  I'll just keep the OmegaStar EX PAT-5 as the extra bunch of inputs.  Ya know, I didn't look close, wonder if Inday has an analog input switcher similar to the digital switcher unit, which so far has been terrific.

daveshel

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2007, 04:05 am »
We had designed our amplifiers then, and still do of course, so that no high frequency out of band single can ever cause the output to grossly distort.

Your spell checker doe snot always know what you mean  :wink:

avahifi

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2007, 09:43 pm »
Two bee ore knot too bea, that is the question.

BrianM

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2007, 09:55 pm »
Two bee ore knot too bea, that is the question.

Tube Eyeore naught tubey, Thaddeus thunk West yon.

lazydays

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2007, 05:41 pm »
Once upon a time, Leonard Feldman of Audio magazine requested one of our early solid state amplifiers for review.  I think he had noticed that our advertising literature claimed an "infinite" slew factor, and his original motive was to stomp on us for false advertising.

Slew factor, by the way, (to simplify) is the ratio of the frequency at full power where a high frequency sine wave starts to distort, as compared to 20,000 Hz.  For example, an amplifier that started to screw up a 100,000 Hz sine wave would have a slew factor of 5.

We had designed our amplifiers then, and still do of course, so that no high frequency out of band single can ever cause the output to grossly distort.  Instead, as the frequency goes up and up, instead of distorting, the sine wave output simple decrease in amplitude.  Thus an accurately claimed "infinite slew factor."

Mr. Feldman tested the unit and was surprised to find that we were correct, our advertising was truthful.  The review in Audio was very complimentary indeed.

We design for this proper high frequency behaviour because the world is full of out of band garbage and when any component in your audio system chain saturates at high frequency, all audio signal entering the amplifier at the same time is lost.  You can't hear 100,000 Hz, but your equipment can, and you can hear the effects of the equipment getting in trouble at that frequency.  This of course is a major failure of IHF specifications, which assume that only audible range measurements are important.  This is one reason we are concerned about Class D switching amplifiers and their effects on the whole audio chain.  Their "sterility" we suspect comes from erasing much of the small signal detail that makes up the "spirit" of the music.  They play all the notes, but not the emotion.

Oh well, rambling again.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Guess now I'm telling my age, but I do remember those advertisments very to this day. I also remember the slew rate, but was somewhat confused about it. Seems like I gave you guys a phone call, and you explained it to me. Then a week or so later I got an envelope in the mail that made my eyes as big as silver dollars. I learned more from that envelope than all the reviews I'd read over the previous ten years. And it all made sense!
glt