Gold Bybee on SB3 Digital Path - WOW!!!

95bcwh

Gold Bybee on SB3 Digital Path - WOW!!!
« on: 3 Jan 2007, 11:53 pm »
Has anyone asked Wayne to use Gold Bybee instead of the Silver for digital mod yet???

If you haven't tried it..you'd better do it..because it's one word - WOWOW!!

I need to get back to my system to listen some more.  More to come  aa

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
Re: Gold Bybee on SB3 Digital Path - WOW!!!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2007, 12:03 am »
yes and your right :o

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2007, 12:50 am »
There are only two SBs with the Gold Bybee in the digital output.

Jim in Boulder and now Barry.

This happened by "accident". I ran out of the Silver leaded Bybee that I offer as an upgrade for the digital mod.

When I went to order more, Jack Bybee told me he was also out of the Silver and offered the Gold for the same price.

I said "Fine" and ordered a couple. I installed the gold in the digital out of Jim's SB and was really amazed at the difference it made. It was the same full "analog" sound that I heard when I used the Gold in the analog circuit.

I mentioned this to Barry and he jumped on the chance to try this upgrade.

BTW, Jack Bybee now has the Silvers back in stock and there are no more "deals" with Gold for the price of Silver. :cry:

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2007, 12:56 am »
How much more are the "regular" gold? 

playntheblues

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2007, 12:58 am »
Wayne, I guess I have the gold in the analog and a silver in the digital then?  If so we need to upgrade :D  Tell me your price and turn around time :thumb:

95bcwh

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2007, 01:07 am »
ok..here's my impression of the Gold. My description is RELATIVE to the silver bybee:

The Gold Bybee gives a stronger, and more refined bass; fuller mid ranger, the high is more sparkling and impactful, e.g. there's an increase in "weight" in the sound of instrument. Soundstage-wise, the Gold seperates each intrument better, the intrument's depth and location are more defined, and hence it gives a more 3D presentation.

My description may make the Gold sounded like days and night better than the Silver.. no it's not day and night better...objectively, I will say between 15%-20% better (even this number is subjective to my personal scale, your scale may be different! :wink:)

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2007, 01:15 am »
A "standard" copper leaded Slipstream Bybee Purifier is $100.00 installed

The Silver Slipstream Purifier is $200.00

The Gold Slipstream Purifier is $250.00

I do not have any in stock at this point. I usually can get product from Jack Bybee within a week.

I am a bit backed up with power supplies and units to be modded finally showing up after the storm.

tonyptony

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2007, 01:23 am »
ok..here's my impression of the Gold. My description is RELATIVE to the silver bybee...

95bcwh, does the Gold in any way reduce the transparency or extension in comparison to the Silver? Or does it subjectively push the soundtsage either forward or back in any way?

95bcwh

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2007, 01:28 am »
ok..here's my impression of the Gold. My description is RELATIVE to the silver bybee...

95bcwh, does the Gold in any way reduce the transparency or extension in comparison to the Silver? Or does it subjectively push the soundtsage either forward or back in any way?

I don't hear any reduction in transparency. It adds more sparkles to the high. Soundstage wise it doen'st push it back or forth..it stays at the same place....but I felt that it's more holographic than the silver.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2007, 02:31 am »
 I have not heard the SB but have used the Gold Bybees in other products upon request. Last project was a pair at the input signal of some 300B mono blocs. I was not sure what to expect from gold mixed in with a 300B tube amp but ......WOW!

As mentioned, it didn't (and shouldn't) move the presentation at all but did make the background even blacker with a noise floor that ......... well, there wasn't any noise. Overall, the presentation had a bit more body without any compromize. I am considering using two pair in a speaker project currently in the works in the tweeter circuit.

I can see where these would be the cat's ---- in anything digital such as Wayne's SB. If you can swing the cost, worth it in my book.

Berndt

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2007, 02:43 am »
this could have crippling effects on my newyears audio budget.
I want a holy~smokes musica, I thought 1k was the mod ceiling, now it looks like 2k...

playntheblues

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2007, 03:01 am »
Wayne, is there any value in my used (300 hours) silver BB?

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2007, 03:44 am »
Guy,

We can work something out  :)

yo2tup

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jan 2007, 05:47 am »
Wayne,

You can fit the gold bybee's into the sb3 now?  Did the the leads change to something less stiff and fragile?

Wayne1

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jan 2007, 08:49 pm »
Jack Bybee has done quite a bit of experimenting with the leads on the Gold Bybees. The pair that are in Zybar's SB2 were made with very hard lead material. The latest Gold Bybees have a much softer gold and is a lot easier to bend.

The Gold can now be fitted in all of the SB.

ctviggen

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jan 2007, 09:49 pm »
Wayne, is this a digital only mod?  Or is it applicable to the analog portion, too?  I'm going to compare analog v. digital one of these days.  I'm hoping the analog wins so that I can get rid of my Ack Dack (to simplify my system and -- I know this is heresy -- because I'm too darn lazy to turn on and off the Ack Dack).

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 4 Jan 2007, 10:21 pm »
Wayne, is this a digital only mod?  Or is it applicable to the analog portion, too?  I'm going to compare analog v. digital one of these days.  I'm hoping the analog wins so that I can get rid of my Ack Dack (to simplify my system and -- I know this is heresy -- because I'm too darn lazy to turn on and off the Ack Dack).

Bob,

The Bybees can be used in the digital or analog mods.

Once you modify that analog section and add in the gold bybees (I say gold because that is what I have experience with) I think you can safely put away the Ack Dack. 

George

ctviggen

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jan 2007, 03:52 pm »
Thanks, George.  I have had the (at the time) best analog mods performed.  But that was a while ago, and I don't think I had an option of the gold Bybees then.   

pugs

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2007, 05:19 pm »

Bob,

The Bybees can be used in the digital or analog mods.

Once you modify that analog section and add in the gold bybees (I say gold because that is what I have experience with) I think you can safely put away the Ack Dack. 

George

I have the newer Vinnie analog mods on my SB3 and adding a slightly modded Ack! V1.0 improved things considerably.  It was really a big improvement.  It tamed the brightness in my system and truley made it analog sounding.

sonofcolin

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jan 2007, 05:44 am »
Got my digi mod SB3 with gold bybee back from Wayne yesterday. Initial impressions are already very good. Not a subtle change from the original. As I have an un-modded SB3 I'll try and find time to do some comparisons. Great stuff Wayne!