Sig 30 for VR4-JRs?

mfsoa

Sig 30 for VR4-JRs?
« on: 3 Jan 2007, 01:19 am »
Hi Vinnie,
Do you have any customers that use a Sig 30 for the upper module of Von Schweikert VR4-JR speakers?

Just imagining how this would work w/ my CIA D-200s on the woofers - I bet it'd be yummy.

Thanks

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Sig 30 for VR4-JRs?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2007, 01:52 am »
Hi Vinnie,
Do you have any customers that use a Sig 30 for the upper module of Von Schweikert VR4-JR speakers?

Just imagining how this would work w/ my CIA D-200s on the woofers - I bet it'd be yummy.

Thanks

Hey mfsoa,

I don't have any customers doing it this way, but I also bet it would work really well.  Would you be using an active preamp and then splitting the output to both amps?  Keep in mind that they (Sig 30 and D-200s) have different values of gain, but you can lower the gain of the Sig 30 via the built-in attenuator.  The Sig 30's gain is 29.5dB.  Looks like the D-200s come in 26dB and 32dB versions.

Best regards,

Vinnie

mfsoa

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2007, 02:33 am »
Exactly - I'd be using a zero-gain active preamp with two pairs of outputs.

With a crossover of 200 hz, (I think) the Sig30 should have plenty of juice, no?

I have the 26 db versions so the gain on the 30 is just right.

Makes one think...    :singing:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2007, 03:04 am »

I have the 26 db versions so the gain on the 30 is just right.

Makes one think...    :singing:

The Sig 30, volume control wide open, will have 29.5dB of gain, vs. 26dB of the D-200, so you probably will want to set the volume control of the Sig 30 a few clicks back from max so the upper speaker module will not be louder than the lower one driven by the D-200s.  Makes sense? 

Heck, if you want to hear a little more bass, you can attenuate the Sig 30 a little more (so the gain is slightly lower than that of the D-200s) since the Sig 30 will only be used for the upper module of the speaker.

With a crossover of 200 hz, (I think) the Sig30 should have plenty of juice, no?

Without a doubt!   aa

Best regards,

Vinnie