earlmarc

6moons Moscode 401HR
« on: 2 Jan 2007, 02:08 pm »
6moons.com Review of  Moscode 401HR:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/moscode/401.html

95bcwh

Re: 6moons Moscode 401HR
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2007, 04:06 pm »
I like this review, it stick to the fact and didn't end with meaningless catchy phrases like:

"This is the best amp I have heard under XXXX price!!! blah blah blah"

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2007, 04:14 pm »
I would have liked to see them describe the sound and character of the amp more, instead of spending half the article talking about how it came to be.  Reading the review I don't come away with a good understanding of what the reviewers heard.

Also, seems to me that when Six Moons likes something, they just make up a category so that it can get a Blue Moon award.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Moscode and it is my reference amp, but an award for "for Ultimate Adaptability And Fun in the high-power hybrid amplifier category"? 

Anyway, I think the reviews in Stereophile and TAS are better written and more informative.

George

gstraley

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2007, 04:16 pm »
That had to be one of the worst reviews I have ever read. There wasn't but 2 lines in the whole review of garble that even mentions how the amp sounded. You could not tell from that review if it was even a good amp or not.

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2007, 04:19 pm »
That had to be one of the worst reviews I have ever read. There wasn't but 2 lines in the whole review of garble that even mentions how the amp sounded. You could not tell from that review if it was even a good amp or not.

I agree...I stopped reading after 3 pages because I wasn't getting the type of info I wanted from a review.  They sure went on about nonsense for quite a while though  :nono:

AB

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2007, 04:22 pm »
But it worked really well with a stack of different speakers...I think.

:|

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2007, 04:22 pm »

Trust me, it is a very good amp!!!   :thumb:

George

arthurs

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2007, 04:27 pm »
Poorly written review ----- terrific amplifier  :thumb:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2007, 04:36 pm »
I dunno, I thought they gave plenty of examples of how it drove different speakers, talked a little about what to expect from tube rolling. I thought overall it was good. Some people want to know the history of an amp, it's lineage. Some people don't.

They outline some of the neat features, like the switch for vertical bi-amping and so forth.

A couple of things stood out in my mind. The bare copper binding posts. And the grounding issue, specifically the hum, and them having to run it on a groundlifted AC line to eliminate 50cycle hum.  :scratch:

Overall, aside from the history lesson, which is on the Moscode website, I thought it was a well written review.

Cheers

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2007, 04:38 pm »
I dunno, I thought they gave plenty of examples of how it drove different speakers, talked a little about what to expect from tube rolling. I thought overall it was good. Some people want to know the history of an amp, it's lineage. Some people don't.

They outline some of the neat features, like the switch for vertical bi-amping and so forth.

A couple of things stood out in my mind. The bare copper binding posts. And the grounding issue, specifically the hum, and them having to run it on a groundlifted AC line to eliminate 50cycle hum.  :scratch:

Overall, aside from the history lesson, which is on the Moscode website, I thought it was a well written review.

Cheers

I have had no hum issues (even with the 5A's being self powered and plugged into different outlets).

George

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2007, 04:44 pm »
I have had no hum issues (even with the 5A's being self powered and plugged into different outlets).

Cool. I was surprised to read that they had to go to those lengths. Anybody else with that amp have any issues?

The bare copper posts is still a baffling one to me though, and they are attached directly to the board.  :scratch:

Cheers

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2007, 05:00 pm »
The bare copper posts is still a baffling one to me though, and they are attached directly to the board.  :scratch:

Cheers

While not common, I didn't think the Edison binding posts were that exotic.

What has you scratching your head?

Here is a little info on the posts:

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AEDIL01

George

tvad4

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2007, 05:21 pm »
If I was an audio manufacturer, I'd request my 6Moons review not be written by Marla and Henk. Their reviews are always odd. It seems to me they were struggling to write something with a positive spin on an amp that's sound was something they didn't particularly care for. I could be over analyzing. Dunno.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2007, 05:53 pm »
What has you scratching your head?

Just that they would use bare copper, and prone to oxidizing.

Cheers

TomS

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jan 2007, 06:07 pm »
I found the background information interesting to read, if not entertaining.  When the pages are "free" as in online, I guess that's ok.

I was scratching my head on why you'd choose AG Duo's to review a powerhouse like the Moscode.  I know they listened to many others, but none struck me as typical partners either (like maybe the Salks, Vandy, Dynaudio, Merlins, etc).  Makes it seem like a review of the "first watt" only, thus the comparisons to SET's.

All I really got out of it from a sonic viewpoint was that the bass was very powerful (which I'd expect great bass from George Kaye, a bass player), whatever that means, and they thought it was colored (how, where, with what combos, tubes?).

It didn't give me any clues if it would be right for me in my situation.  As usual, you definitely want to use the reviews on this board and your own ears to decide, which is why Moscode fortunately has the 33 1/3 day return policy.  I'm guessing they haven't had too many come back, if any, since they started this.  If one somehow popped up on a'gon, it would be gone in minutes which says a lot.

Tom

TomS

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jan 2007, 06:09 pm »
...oh, one of the Edison posts on my BEL 1001's is stripped out (previous owner), so torque those babies carefully.

tvad4

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jan 2007, 06:16 pm »
If one somehow popped up on a'gon, it would be gone in minutes which says a lot.

Tom

I find this fascinating. Almost any component pops up on Audiogon occasionally, and yet the 401HR amplifier is never listed for sale. There are several possible explanations, including fully satisfied customers and a limited number of units sold. I suspect it's a combination of the two, but the track record thus far is impressive.
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2007, 06:43 pm by tvad4 »

miklorsmith

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jan 2007, 06:23 pm »
Yep, Zu Druids.  Big hype, lots of devoted following, and not everyone loves them.  And, if fairly priced they don't last long at all either.

Almost any hyped product starts out as perfect, like the hot girl you just started dating who's perfect.  In time you find the issues.  I'm even starting to hear the first rumblings that the Acoustic Zen Adagios aren't flawless!

95bcwh

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jan 2007, 06:38 pm »
Zu is nothing compare to some companies when it comes to hyping up their products.... aa

Yep, Zu Druids.  Big hype, lots of devoted following, and not everyone loves them.  And, if fairly priced they don't last long at all either.

aerius

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jan 2007, 06:39 pm »
Almost any hyped product starts out as perfect, like the hot girl you just started dating who's perfect.  In time you find the issues.  I'm even starting to hear the first rumblings that the Acoustic Zen Adagios aren't flawless!

Flavour of the month syndrome as it's known on another board I'm on.  As for the Acoustic Zen Adagios, some of us have said it ain't perfect from day one, but it sure is pretty.