Who has XBox Live?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Who has XBox Live?
« on: 6 Jan 2003, 04:21 am »
I got it in December - played MechAssault with my friend a few times and got slaughtered out in the real world  :o

What other games have you played live?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2003, 08:21 am »
Just NFL Fever '03 so far.  Pretty cool, though.

gonefishin

Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2003, 02:18 am »
I got xbox live...but no games that can use it :(  well..almost...I got splintercell...which will have additional levels available for download...but they don't have anything up there right now for it :(  which is too bad...cause I've completed the game...but what a game!  the only game that out halo'd halo ;)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2003, 02:29 am »
Hi!  How you like Audio Circle, GF?  Nice to see the old HD gang making their way over here.  I've been hitting AudioKarma, too, but I've been a little busy lately to make time for all the sites.  I'm off for the next four days though, so I'll be making the rounds.

gonefishin

Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2003, 05:15 pm »
Hiya Rob...nice place ya got here...I have NO doubt that this site will be a success.  You guys had a great group of guys at HD...now they're here...a winning combination if ya ask me :)

bubba966

Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2003, 05:57 am »
Just picked up the 'box today. Haven't got MechAssault yet, though it should be here soon. Am planning on picking up Live A.S.A.P.

A couple questions though on Live. Do you need to get another IP for Live? I'd rather not have to pay $5 a month for yet another IP.

And does the kit come with a network cable? I'll need a 25' cable to get from my router to the 'box. And if it doesn't come with one I'll have to start asking around for one.

DTH

Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2003, 12:26 am »
The Live enabled games I have are:

Ghost Recon
Unreal Championship
Mech Assault

These are all decent games. I like to run around and blow stuff up. Before Live the last experience I had playing games online was various versions of Quake, and I still gravitate towards that sort of thing.

GR is sort of slow. If you like camping, sniping etc you will dig it. I get impatient with it quickly.

UC is very fast, in a big game it is easy to lose track of what is going on, you might get killed 3x before you know what is happening. You definitely have an advantage in this game if you host on your own box.

MA in my opinion is just OK. I dig the blowing stuff up, but mechs are slow & lumbering. I lose patience here as well.  I just got it recently though, I may learn how to use the machines better and enjoy it more.

In my opinion nothing beats playing Halo online, despite all the flaws. Halo is a great game on it's own, but real fun against other humans. If you have not tried it look at

http://www.gamespy.com
or
http://www.xbconnect.com/

Since Halo was not designed to be played online there are frustrations, mostly lag, but if you play with folks on good connections and in your part of the country it works really well. You definitely have an advantage hosting on your box.  I have not tried the Xbox Connect, but I hear it gets less lag than GameSpy. GameSpy has a great interface though.

DTH

Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2003, 12:33 am »
A couple questions though on Live. Do you need to get another IP for Live? I'd rather not have to pay $5 a month for yet another IP.

No, you do not need a static IP address. My box goes through 2 switches before it gets to my router, which has NAT running & a dynamic address.

And does the kit come with a network cable? I'll need a 25' cable to get from my router to the 'box. And if it doesn't come with one I'll have to start asking around for one.

No ethernet cable included. If you find an independent PC shop you can probably get a long cable made for much less than it will cost you from a Best Buy or Circuit City. A 25' ethernet cable is about $2 worth of material.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2003, 03:15 pm »
It does take a while to get signed up online...get ready to type all your credit card info with a game controller!

bubba966

Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2003, 07:25 am »
Quote from: DTH

No, you do not need a static IP address. My box goes through 2 switches before it gets to my router, which has NAT running & a dynamic address.

No ethernet cable included. If you find an independent PC shop you can probably get a long cable made for much less than it will cost you from a Best Buy or Circuit City. A 25' ethernet cable is about $2 worth of material.

Thanks for the answers. I've since asked my step-bro to have his GF make me a 25' cable. That'll be free. :mrgreen: And right now free is good...

Now to figure out how to round up the $ for the live kit.

Woodsea

Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2003, 04:06 pm »
I am going to pick it up soon.  Cash flow is at a trickle, towards Dad's (my) electronic well-being  :?

bubba966

Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2003, 11:53 pm »
Would anyone be up for a little AC Live? I still haven't picked up the live kit yet (might tomorrow), and only have MechAssault.

But if any of you would care to get into a little MechAssault madness I'd probably have to make tomorrow's maybe on the Live kit into a definite.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2003, 07:49 am »
Hmm...that may be doable.  I'm not as good as I wish I was, but Mech Assault rocks supremely on Live.  Gimme a PM if you end up getting it, Brian.

bubba966

Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #13 on: 4 Mar 2003, 08:01 am »
Ok, will do.

I haven't played MA for a few weeks now. I played it enough to beat it, but haven't gotten back to it again. So I'm probably not so hot at it either.

It'd be great if no one else is around the home when I play MechAssault. The LFE is intense enough to be felt anywhere in the house. :thumb: And no, I don't want to turn down my subs. They're dB matched just like they should be...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #14 on: 4 Mar 2003, 08:05 am »
The LFE is frightening to put it mildly.  No I haven't come close to beating the game, I just don't play long enough at a time.  Strange, I always have Sun, Mon, Tues & Weds off every week, but I still feel I never have any time!

I would like to try the online a bit more.  My brother & I did download the new MA stuff online, tho.

bubba966

Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #15 on: 4 Mar 2003, 08:10 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
The LFE is frightening to put it mildly.

Yup, that it is! It's insane at -25dB on my dial. And to give you an idea I usually watch my movies between -15dB & -12dB. I tried playing it at -15dB. But running that game at that level through 7 speakers & 2 subs the SPL is just toooo much.

I can't even imagine running it at reference. I can't take LOTR at reference, and it's not nearly as intense as MA is...

bubba966

Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #16 on: 5 Mar 2003, 05:06 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Hmm...that may be doable.  I'm not as good as I wish I was, but Mech Assault rocks supremely on Live.  Gimme a PM if you end up getting it, Brian.

Looked at the current state of finances and figured I can't really pick up Live at the moment. :(

Wish I was back working! :evil:

This lack of fundage thing is seriously tired...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #17 on: 5 Mar 2003, 08:58 am »
I've been busy watching some Screen Savers I taped earlier and a couple flix I picked up today.  When you do get 'Live, just let me know.

bubba966

Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #18 on: 21 Sep 2003, 01:26 am »
Well, I finally picked up Live today. Took me a little while, huh? :wink: :lol:

I was actually out looking for the broadband adapter for the 'cube. But that's not to be found anywhere apparently. :evil:

Anyway, I DL'd all of the MA stuff that was available. But I've not played the damn game in 6 months. Probably terrible at it by now.

I'll have to throw in Midtown Madness 3 and see if there's anything to DL for that game.

Anybody else pick up Live in the last 6 months?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Who has XBox Live?
« Reply #19 on: 21 Sep 2003, 03:19 am »
Glad to see you got the 'Live, finally.  We'll hafta set up a time to get a game on sometime here.  I'm sure we could rustle up a few live compatible games between us.

I haven't played MA for awhile, so I'd likely get creamed pretty bad.  But I'll try to practice up.