Room layout w/ SW12-A, x-ls, & x-cs

nkb93

Room layout w/ SW12-A, x-ls, & x-cs
« on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:59 am »
Hi all,

I'm very limited in the available room for placing speakers in my den.  I'm getting ready to build a GR research SW12-A sub/PR and plan to purchase two x-ls and one x-cs.  I was concerned that even these relatively small components would be a tight squeeze, so to get a feel for the relative scale of everything I drew up a quick 3d drawing of the room with all the speakers except the surrounds. 

Here are a few views:

Unfortunately the TV has to go in the corner and the couches must be arranged as shown due to all the windows, doors and fireplace (not shown).    The TV and speakers cannot come out any further from the corner, either, or else they start interfering with the coffee table (not shown). 

My normal sitting position is on the far side of the long couch, about 10' away from the TV. 

A few newbie questions:

- I have just enough room behind the TV cabinet for the sub in the tower-style enclosure.  Would you guys try that, or put it out in the front as I have drawn?  My thoughts were that it'd be easier to access the adjustments with it up front, and maybe sound a little cleaner (not vibrating the TV stand as much?) but perhaps ultimately not as loud since it wouldn't be corner loaded.

- Am I going to be able to get any decent kind of imaging out of this setup with the speakers so close together and cattycorner to the walls?

- will the unshielded x-ls have any noticable effect on the CRT at this relatively close distance (~9" between speaker cabinet and TV cabinet)?

- My TV top isn't flat (nor very sturdy), so I was going to fab a little shelf that mates with the contoured TV surface for the x-cs to rest on.  The angle would be such that it's pointing slightly downward to aim the speaker at the listener.  Has anybody tried something like this?

TIA for your advice!

-Nate

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: Room layout w/ SW12-A, x-ls, & x-cs
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2006, 07:39 pm »
Nate, you just made post number 500. You win! :dance:

Just kidding.  :green:

Maybe if that table isn't so sturdy then you might consider building a new one that will hold the sub and PR underneath.

If it were me I'd put some type of tube trap in the back corner.