Omega Revolutions rule!

tmarshl

Omega Revolutions rule!
« on: 28 Dec 2006, 07:22 pm »
I just did an A/B comparison of my:

Omega Revolutions driven by a Nelson Pass First Watt F1 (10 wpc)  supported by a Velodyne 10" subwoofer.

against

a $14,000 speaker system driven by a pair of $10,000 high-end 500 watts per channel monoblocks and a separate subwoofer amplifier, connected with thousands of dollars of cabling (I don't want to mention the brands publicly in respect for the dealer who allowed me to do the A/B comparison in my listening room.)  This system had a huge soundstage, but it was like there was a "veil" between me and the music.

I know it may be hard to believe, but the Omega/Velodyne combination won on everything but soundstage - more purity and presence, more "real" sounding vocals.

So, once and for all, it is not the amount of money that you spend on your system, nor the amount of wattage that you push through your speakers.  It is finding that magical combination of equipment, cabling and room configuration that delivers the kind of "real" presentation that makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

Congratulations, Louis!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Omega Revolutions rule!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2006, 07:52 pm »
How about naming the equipment that you felt was bettered by the Omega/First Watt/Velodyne setup?

Just throwing around dollar amounts doesn't really help.

George

Louis O

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2006, 12:05 am »
Hi tmarshl,

Many thanks for posting about you’re a/b comparison and I’m very happy to hear your Omega/Pass F1, and Velodyne system sounds so good. I would like to know which Velodyne sub you’re using. This would help out greatly as many out there are looking for a great subwoofer.

I also was told by Nelson Pass about the synergy with the F1 and sealed box speakers.

Thanks again and Happy New Year,
Louis

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2006, 02:41 am »
Hi tmarshl,
I would like to know which Velodyne sub you’re using.
Hi Tom, please also tell us more about how the sub is configured (crossover or not?; line level vs amp level inputs?; crossover point?; slope?; etc.) Thanks.

tmarshl

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2007, 07:53 pm »
How about naming the equipment that you felt was bettered by the Omega/First Watt/Velodyne setup?

Just throwing around dollar amounts doesn't really help.

George

"...(I don't want to mention the brands publicly in respect for the dealer who allowed me to do the A/B comparison in my listening room.) "

tmarshl

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2007, 08:11 pm »
Hi tmarshl,

Many thanks for posting about you’re a/b comparison and I’m very happy to hear your Omega/Pass F1, and Velodyne system sounds so good. I would like to know which Velodyne sub you’re using. This would help out greatly as many out there are looking for a great subwoofer.

I also was told by Nelson Pass about the synergy with the F1 and sealed box speakers.

Thanks again and Happy New Year,
Louis

Hi Louis,

The subwoofer that I am using is an old Velodyne F1200-R (Current model number is SPL1200-R), a 12 " subwoofer that puts out plenty of bass to support the Omega Revolutions.

It works really well, but in my continuing quest for the best possible sound, I am looking at the REL subwoofer.

http://www.rel.net

Best,
Tom

tmarshl

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2007, 08:16 pm »
Hi tmarshl,
Hi Tom, please also tell us more about how the sub is configured (crossover or not?; line level vs amp level inputs?; crossover point?; slope?; etc.) Thanks.
Hi Kent,
Since the sub is self-powered, I am using line level L/R inputs straight from the pre-amp. The subwoofer has its own gain control which I set at about 9:00 o'clock; I have the crossover point set at about 65 Hz.  I am using a pair of Nordost Red Dawn RCA interconnects.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tom

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2007, 02:07 pm »
Hi tmarshl,
Hi Kent,
Since the sub is self-powered, I am using line level L/R inputs straight from the pre-amp. The subwoofer has its own gain control which I set at about 9:00 o'clock; I have the crossover point set at about 65 Hz.  I am using a pair of Nordost Red Dawn RCA interconnects.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tom
Thanks Tom. Please report back on the REL. You may also want to consider a Vandersteen. If you use the F1, Nelson recommends using a capacitor to block DC (Vandersteens are driven directly from speaker outs; I've checked with Richard Vandersteen and his subs can be driven my balanced amps).

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2007, 12:32 am »
Hi Tom,

Thanks and this really helps. If you get the REL please let me know how it sounds. I've heard they are very good.

Thanks again,
Louis

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2007, 08:07 pm »
Tom,

I have a REL Strata III that I have used sucessfully with a number of different speakers. Right now it is making sweet bass music with the Superhemps. I do not believe REL makes this model anymore, but I will say that I love mine!

Cheers,
Gary

Louis O

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2007, 01:19 am »
Hi Gary,

I've heard a lot of great things about the REL subs.

Talk to you soon,
Louis