Digital Input Switcher

avahifi

Digital Input Switcher
« on: 27 Dec 2006, 02:26 pm »
A good client has called my attention to an interesting Digital Switcher that appears to be useful with our Ultra or OmegaStar DACs.  He is using them with excellent results he says.

It accepts up to four digital inputs (either coax or Toslink) and has both coax and Toslink out.  It comes with a remote control to allow switching between inputs on the fly.

You could plug in any or all of your digital sources into this little box and accomodate anything you wish to use our DACs with.

The price is $119.00.

The link to the unit is: n http://www.inday.com/da4x/da4x.htm

I hope this is useful to you.

Frank Van Alstine

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Digital Input Switcher
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2006, 01:17 am »
Very neat!  I like that the inputs are all converted and output thru both the coax and toslink outs.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2006, 01:48 am »
Until I saw this, I was going to get one of these at $65, 3 inputs.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-935&CFID=1780441&CFTOKEN=14970143
It's meant for video, but it was assumed it would work for SPDIF digital.

With this unit, no assumptions need be made - it states explicitly that it's for digital audio and good for 192 kHz.

CE2

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2006, 02:48 am »
 :D :D :D :D And it has no pops or clicks when I switch between inputs.  Even when something  playing through it, it's  quiet as it changes,   Pretty slick unit.  I got them from Marketek on line.  I opened one up had to see what is in there, bunch of STUFF.  Comes with it's own  wall transformer, works fine.  Remote control will allow you 2 have 2 units so you could have 8 S/PDIF inputs going into the DAC.  And the remote will not act on the 2nd unit, by selecting  either row of buttons on the remote,  it will do one or the other slick.. Or just press the button on the front panel to toggle inputs.  Frank would be interesting if ya get one, and do some measurments on it, if it has any measurable effect on the signal going through it, I certainly don't hear any difference so far.   

CE2

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2006, 01:18 pm »
 :oops:  That's MARKERTEK.COM    They look to also sell direct. 

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2006, 12:08 am »
Russell,

your model doesn't do the same thing as the one Frank suggested. His will convert coax to optical and vice versa. Frank's DA converter only has coax inputs but some CD players only have optical outputs. This device has a built in converter that solves the problem.

Wayner

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2006, 01:37 am »
Russell,

your model doesn't do the same thing as the one Frank suggested. His will convert coax to optical and vice versa. Frank's DA converter only has coax inputs but some CD players only have optical outputs. This device has a built in converter that solves the problem.

Wayner

Yes, this is a bargain problem solver for those who must deal with toslink as well as coax SPDIF. I may well go with it in preference to the one I mentioned, because the extra $55 or so could easily be worth it for the added flexibility.

I would be using it to enable comparison of 3 digital sources through one DAC for mastering purposes.

Another high performing format converter for a bargain price is said to be the (discontinued?) Behringer SRC 2496 at $130, referred to here:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4c5pt/id8.html