Boldercable Digital IC vs Acoustic Zen?

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
« on: 6 Jul 2003, 05:59 am »
I've used Wayne's Type 1 digital IC for some time now with my MENSA (formerly SMART and before that, just plain DI/O) and they work just fine. But since I've upgraded just about everything else in my system(except for the NITRO PC in the MENSA), I wonder what high end cable anyone else has compared Bolder digital IC to?

I use Acoustic Zen Satori shotgun and Silver Reference 1 in my system with great results, and I wonder if the AZ reference digital IC would sound better than the Bolder.  What say the MENSA owners? What digital IC are you listening to and what results? I have heard that the Bolder does great for minimizing synch errors with the MENSA.

-Dave
Merlin TSM/M / REL Strata III/ VAC Avatar SE/ Technics DVDa10 (transport)/ MENSA/ Acoustic Zen Silver Ref. I/ Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2003, 08:36 am »
Dave,

I've not tried the Acoustic Zen digital.

But I have tried Transparent Cable's Reference AES/EBU ($900/1M) against my Bolder Digital W/Silver Eichmann Bullet Plugs & Cryo Treatment ($130/1M). The testing was done between a Proceed PMDT & Proceed AVP2 running to Levinson No. 336 mono's to B&W N802's.

The two of them were so identical that it was very hard to distinguish between the two.

I recall the Bolder had a bit better low end definition, while the Transparent had a very slighty cleaner top end. The Transparent was definitely not worth the extra $ over the Bolder. Sure, it was a very, very slightly better digital overall. But you wouldn't miss the differences after a short bit as they were incredibly small differences that could only really be noticed when doing dedicated listening tests.

But I bet you that when Wayne is able to get a digital built w/a Bybee installed that it'll spank Transparent's top end "Reference Digital Link". I could let you know when I get a hold of one... :wink: :mrgreen:

BOK

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2003, 10:35 am »
Dave,

I replaced an AZ Silver Photon with Wayne's Digital coax (w/ 2 Bybee Purifiers ) and am very happy with the results.

The Photon is a very nice coax for the money, but the Bolder with Bullets and Bybees is much smoother.  An easy winner.   :D

BOK

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2003, 04:27 pm »
Here is a comparison I did w/the Illuminations D60 and the Bolder digital IC a while back:

I have a new Bolder Cable digital interconnect using the bullet plugs (replacing one that previously had Canare termination). I am comparing it to an Illuminations D-60. When I first got the D60 I did some A-B comparisons with the cardas teminated BC Digital cable. The D60 was better. Not a lot better, but still better. The Canare terminated Bolder Digital cable was just a tad sloppy sounding in comparison (slight, but noticable - the D60 has a very "fast" sound). Fast forward 2 weeks, and I felt I have enough time on the new bullet plugged Bolder Cables Digital Interconnect to do a fair comparison w/the D60. Well, to keep this short and sweet, the BCBPDI (Bolder Cable Bullet Plugged Digital Interconnect) is staying in the system, and the D60 is going adios!

I won't go in to a long drawn out comparison, just hit a few highlights - the BCBPDI is just more natural sounding. More relaxed, warmer, weightier, and with a similar level of overall detail compared to the D60. Soundstage is natural, and invites you in, rather than jump out at you. By comparison, the D60 has a more "hi-fi", slightly artificial sound. Bass is tight, but a bit too tight, it doesn't resonate and weigh in quite as well. Midrange is ever so slightly thin sounding. Soundstage is a bit more "in your face". Strings are not as creamy sounding.

Notice I use the word "slightly" a lot in the above synopsis. Believe me, the D60 is an excellent digital interconnect, but the BCBPDI is just a step closer to what I think real music sounds like.

BTW, BCBPDI is just a shorthand notation, not the actual name of the cable. Anyway, I'm enjoying it quite a bit, and thought I would share. . .

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2003, 07:31 pm »
Tyson,

That was a copper bullet non-cryo'd Bolder Digital you were comparing to the D-60, wasn't it?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2003, 08:18 pm »
Indeed it was.  I now have the silver bullet plugged version, but I never go to do an A-B comparison between the 2 different bullet plugs on the Bolder digital cable.

davehg

Zen or Bolder?
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2003, 05:12 am »
Thanks folks for your thoughts. I will hopefully see Wayne in October at VSAC (finally, an audio conference in WA state!). Then hopefully he will have cooked up something special for the digital IC. Wayne, please bring something cool and I'll get out my wallet.

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2003, 05:59 am »
Dave,

Where are you in WA? If the cable you've got is Wayne's old Canare version I could bring my Silver Bullet Cryo'd version over to A/B on your setup.That is assuming you're not on the other side of the state... :wink: :lol:

It is his current top of the line digital. That is until Wayne starts selling the NAPALM. Last I heard I was going to be sent a NAPALM to do a little beta testing with. :mrgreen: And if you're in the area, I might be able to stop by with that as well. :wink: :)

Honestly, I'm still a little :? about Wayne sending me a cable to beta test. My setup is definitely not the "quality norm" around here. Must be because I was pestering him to build almost the exact same cable 9 months ago... :lol:

davehg

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2003, 04:46 am »
Quote from: bubba966
Dave,

Where are you in WA? If the cable you've got is Wayne's old Canare version I could bring my Silver Bullet Cryo'd version over to A/B on your setup.That is assuming you're not on the other side of the state... :wink: :lol:

Bubba, I am about 30 minutes outside of Seattle. I work downtown. If you want to hook up, send me email to dave@tech-esq.com.