Unity Radio

unityaudio.ca

Unity Radio
« on: 27 Dec 2006, 03:10 am »
On April 24th 2006, I got involved in an internet radio station as one of the main dj's. This came out of a long time dream to dj on a radio station, playing whatever I wanted.
The best part about it is, it didnt me cost anything signficant (no more than any other hobby), so there's no ads at all. And, I'm not getting paid to do this either, I'm doing it for fun. And, I'm not a huge talker, so there's to chatter between tunes.
Just lots of tunes from my personal collection that streams at 128k, with no compresion, so sound qulaity is actually quite good, so I'm told ;) .
If you'd like to tune in to "my stream" with Winamp click www.talkaudio.ca:8002/listen.pls
Maybe one day will come where we'll have to start getting paid advertisers to keep the staion going, untill then, I'll enjoy spinning, and you can enjoy listening.

The main radio page with links to 2 other streams can be found at http://www.unityaudio.ca/radio/main.htm

unityaudio.ca

Re: Unity Radio
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2006, 04:52 pm »
A recent inquiry asked if the stream is available on the SHoutcast network, and subsequently for the Olive music server.
Yes, it is!  Go to Shoutcast.com and do a search for The Alley, or Cool Cat Alley, and it sould come up in the search results.
 8)

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2006, 05:02 pm »
Thanks for the update.

Levi

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2006, 04:55 am »
What type of music do you spin...er, play! :)  I used to DJ on K.A.O.R., my college station at USD.  I'm not that old, but it was all vinyl back in those days.  In fact, I was probably one of the first guys in SD to broadcast from CD- I took my own player in and crawled under the console and wired in it myself!  Great fun!  The program director hated my music, but she had to admit I had the most popular show on campus. 

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2007, 08:36 pm »
Hey Rob!  I mainly play jazz and blues, but also a little bit of everything, as hard as Anthrax, as light as George Winston, and even a bit of classical.

To bring in the new year, just added to the library:

Molly Johnson - Messin Around

Madeleine Peyroux - Half The Perfect World

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2007, 12:01 am »
Hey Rob!  I mainly play jazz and blues, but also a little bit of everything, as hard as Anthrax, as light as George Winston, and even a bit of classical.

To bring in the new year, just added to the library:

Molly Johnson - Messin Around

Madeleine Peyroux - Half The Perfect World

I'll have to check out the Molly Johnson stuff.  Didn't care much for Peyroux's Half The Perfect World CD for some reason.

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2007, 03:23 am »
She can be an aquired taste  :wink:

Gordy

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2007, 04:57 am »
A recent inquiry asked if the stream is available on the SHoutcast network, and subsequently for the Olive music server.

That would be me!  With the Olive radio there isn't any search option, AFAIK I can select from a given list of hundreds of stations, pretty tedious looking for a given station as they are divided into genre's and sub catagories of k-bytes.  So, after all this time I finally gave it another try and searched "blues"... found it  :thumb: 

DavidS

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2007, 06:14 am »
very nice - checked out your link and have it on now (Harry Manx sounding good) and bookmarked.  Molly Johnson is recent find of mine as well - heard the cd playing in a restaraunt on holiday this October in Pictou Nova Scotia.  Got talking jazz to the manager with him raving about all things Molly Johnson. 

David

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2007, 03:44 am »
Thanks guys!  :thumb:

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2007, 06:15 pm »
Just added to the library  :thumb:

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2007, 03:49 am »
Just added the the library:

Coco Montoya - Dirty Deal

Hard to go wrong with anything on the Alligator label. :D

Levi

« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2007, 04:35 am »
Excellent sound quality!  I can't believe free audio.  Guess what...like AC.  No ADS beat that!

EProvenzano

« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2007, 04:40 am »
Anyone feeding Unity Audio through their sqeezebox?

I see Shoutcast has a whole host of default genre's listed in my Squeezebox, but I can't figure out how to add a radio station that's not in the default listing.

TIA.

Gordy

« Reply #14 on: 12 Feb 2007, 09:10 pm »
Anyone feeding Unity Audio through their sqeezebox?

I see Shoutcast has a whole host of default genre's listed in my Squeezebox, but I can't figure out how to add a radio station that's not in the default listing.

TIA.

I use an Olive unit to stream and have the same problem trying to add something not on the default list.  I did find Unity eventually, it was listed in the "Blues" catagory! 

EProvenzano

« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2007, 09:22 pm »
I tried the same thing after seeing your first post.....only problem is the SB defult list donesn't include a sub-category for "Blues"  :o

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2007, 06:49 pm »
Server was down for the last few days....back up and running!
Just added to the library:

Playing at 235pm eastern time today.

craig223

« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2007, 07:55 pm »
I clicked on the link and iTunes picked it up right away!  Sounds great.  I use iTunes at work because it is so easy and the computer speakers are my limiting factor in audio fidelity.

Keep the good tunes coming!

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 2007, 08:07 pm »
Just got word from the server owner that he's going to be switching to another server to avoid any further service interuptions.  This should happen over the next week or so, during which time the stream might - probably will - drop out from time to time.
Once the server is switched, outages will hopefully be a thing of the past. :D

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #19 on: 28 Mar 2007, 07:55 am »
Server update - the switch is being made, hence no service.  Going through DJ withdrawl..... :bawl:
I'm hoping it's up and running in the next week or so.........