Ultra EC Preamp W/ HT Setup Question

Neverknows

Ultra EC Preamp W/ HT Setup Question
« on: 27 Dec 2006, 01:34 am »
Thinking of getting a FetValve Amp with an Ultra EC Preamp which would pull double duty - 2 channel and also in a HT setup (probably get a DAC at some point as well).  I've never had separates and am trying to think through the hook ups of the various parts to make sure this will work. 

Have an older receiver right now that has pre out to support an external amp for the front channels (R & L).  So.....from what I understand you can pass the signal from the preamp to the HT receiver, but how?  Lets say a typical setup with a DVD player, DAC, Preamp, Amp (front channels) and HT receiver. 

DVD - Feed the digital out into the DAC and the DAC into the preamp - 2 channel.  If no DAC analog into the preamp and digital to the receiver. 

Amp - connect into the preouts on the receiver - do the speaker wires terminate from the amp or remain on the receiver?  Do you hook up the preamp to the amp as well or as an aux. to the receiver?

Just want to make sure everything passes between the units so I can use the 'good' stuff for the 2 channel, and the HT receiver for movies (using the new amp)....but how? 

Thanks in advance.

avahifi

• Facilitator
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Re: Ultra EC Preamp W/ HT Setup Question
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2006, 01:26 pm »
Please give me a call at 651-330-9871.

The multi-use setup of an Ultra EC into an HT system is easy.  I can explain it in a few minutes on the phone.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine