Cranking the AVA 350 EXR

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
Cranking the AVA 350 EXR
« on: 23 Dec 2006, 04:40 am »
Alright Frank, I am pushing my system to a limit it has never been push to before and it is sounding absolutely marvelous, at the almost the very end of the 1 kick ass song, just grooving along, absolutely enjoying every second like I am at the performance at the Dakota bar & grill, playing live in my living room, a concert with Larry, Bailey & White SACD, TRAFFIC, Electric Jam” I blow a 5 amp fuse in my right channel! How many watts was I cranking out? Can I go to a 6 amp fuse?
I have no doubt my ACI Panorama’s can take it. I just want it to last a song! That is all. It sounds so gosh darn good. When I play my system like this, I just like to get up and groove. I think I like my system best when I am standing up and dancing. If a system can make you get up and dance to the music. You have a good system. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This SACD sounds so good, If you like progressive jazz, get it! Happy Holidays.

warnerwh

Re: Cranking the AVA 350 EXR
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2006, 07:48 am »
If you have no doubt your speakers can take it then put in a 6 or 7 amp fuse. If you're concerned at all your speaker manufacturer would be a better person to ask being as it's their speaker.

A 5 amp fuse will pass alot of current depending on the impedance of your speakers. That's alot I can assure you. If you blow a tweeter or something you know who you can blame.  :green:

I crank my speakers hard with my Fetvalve 550. Have never even looked at the fuses to see what they're rated at. I would have no problem using a 10 amp fuse with my Vmps RM 40s because I know I'll never turn it up enough to blow them. Another reason is because fuses heat up and cause non linearities that are definitely measureable.

With a 5 amp fuse though I doubt you can hear it. I know David Hafler's company did listening tests and the 5 amp fuses were the cutoff to where they couldn't hear any distortion anymore. Lower values they apparently could.

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2006, 01:27 pm »
Six amp quick blow speaker fuses are ok, if and only if your speakers can handle that, check with the builder.  Bigger than that, then the internal B+ fuses will blow first (or the speakers themselves  :o ).  This is a bit more annoying.

Frank Van Alstine

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2006, 04:36 pm »
Thanks Frank! I don't crank it like I did last night to often :wink: and not many Cd's sound this good at this volume. This Cd by the trio was recorded straight from them playing, like direct to disc, 3 awesome musicians, playing and awesome song, and sounding sooooo good. Very clean and crisp fusion jazz, and so the recorded material is top notch and therefore we just had to push things to a new level and all except the fuse was taking it in stride. aa
I will install the 6 amp quick blow and if I blow them then that will be the limit! :icon_lol:
Thanks for building a super sounding, kick arse, amp and preamp. Man can a 350 put out some power. :thumb:

CE2

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2006, 07:43 pm »
Get another one and bi-Amp it!!! Get the Ultra Phase inverters.  This way each amp does less work.  AND it does sound better with each added amp.  4 AVA OmegaStar EX in hafler Pro 500 units, something like 4800W total or more?  Into my 4 Ohm speakers,2 amps per speaker. I think they have 8A fuses I don't recall, ain't popped any.  When I was running ONLY one Omega III some years back, I could pop a 5 amp easily. Crankin is FUN, 108dB is LIVE and clean and crystal clear...just ask my neighbors!!  More amps, ya save money on fuses, ya don't pop em, each amp does less and sounds so much better.  More amps teh better.