Amp hook-up question

Christof

Amp hook-up question
« on: 22 Dec 2006, 03:04 pm »
How is the best way to connect 4 mono amps for biwire to one pair of speakers in terms of signal quality?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Amp hook-up question
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2006, 03:21 pm »
How is the best way to connect 4 mono amps for biwire to one pair of speakers in terms of signal quality?

Why are you just biwiring them with 4 amps instead of biamping them?

Christof

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2006, 05:00 am »
I worded my question the wrong way it should have said 'biamp' as it has nothing to do with biwiring.  Let me rephrase the whole thing, I have two stereo amps (4 channels of amplification total) that I would like to use with one pair of speakers. My options are send the amps back to Klaus to be converted to monos($$$) or just use them the way they are for the time being.  I will try, for the time being, vertical biamping.  What is the best way to split my signal for biamping in terms of Y-adaptors?  Who makes a splitter that will be suitable to work with my Zu Warmouth IC's?  I will ask Zu the same question, perhapse they can build me a splitter but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks
c.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2006, 05:36 am by Christof »

warnerwh

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2006, 11:30 pm »
Just run an IC to each amp. Two for the left channel and two to the right. If your speakers have a jumper be sure to remove it or you'll ruin all of your amps real quick. :o

Then hook up a speaker cable to the low section of your speakers from a left and right signal. Do the same with the high section.

It's very easy, almost like hooking up one amp.

Christof

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2006, 12:02 am »
Just run an IC to each amp. Two for the left channel and two to the right.

I only have one set of outputs on my pre, which is the whole problem.  I guess the only solution is a y-adaptor or have someone mod the preamp by adding extra set of outputs or mod the amps by summing together the inputs..

warnerwh

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2006, 02:09 am »
You can get just what you need at Parts Express. It's a little machined piece with one male and two females for about 5 bucks a piece. I like them over regular y adapters with wire but that will work fine also.

You're right you need two ouputs per channels now. Some preamps have them and others don't. Don't spend the money for an extra set of ouputs because it will work no better than the options above.