OB5 / OB7 Sound Levels

phoenix_rising

OB5 / OB7 Sound Levels
« on: 20 Dec 2006, 07:19 am »
Danny could you tell me what the sound levels each is capable of in a medium sized room.

phoenix_rising

Re: OB5 / OB7 Sound Levels
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2006, 06:18 am »
bump.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2006, 03:55 pm »
Sorry if I missed this earlier.

The OB-5's will play plenty loud in a medium sized room. They are 91db sensitivity after all. 100 plus db peaks will be no problem.

The OB-7's will handle even more power and with the adjustable sub in the side they are capable of solid SPL levels right on down to the lower ranges.

At the RMAF we were cranking some AC/DC to some pretty high levels on the oB-7's. I have been to three of their concerts and know how loud they can be. I'd say we were hitting levels near concert levels if you were mid way back or further at one of their outdoor concerts.

Our listening room at the show was 13' by 19'.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2006, 04:16 pm »
I'm driving my OB 5's with 120 watts per channel. In a small to medium size room, they'll output more than you would ever listen too for an extended period of time.

I also ran them in a very large space, with my sub, and they had no problem outputing very well.

Here's the link to that listening session:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=32164.msg301826;topicseen#new

Cheers

gprro

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2006, 07:18 pm »
yeah, I was curious too how much the single BG could handle, power and volume wise.

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2006, 08:07 pm »
I'm driving my OB 5's with 120 watts per channel. In a small to medium size room, they'll output more than you would ever listen too for an extended period of time.

I also ran them in a very large space, with my sub, and they had no problem outputing very well.

Here's the link to that listening session:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=32164.msg301826;topicseen#new

Cheers

My room is 24x26 with Paradox 3's, a sub and 100 watts and I never crank it up past half way.  I guess I just don't like it that loud.  It's as much power and speaker as I'll ever need.  When I tested my one OB-5 with one P-3 It seemed like the OB was getting more oomph out of it than the P-3 and I've never felt like the p-3's weren't enough speaker even for a room that size.  That's coming from  someone who started this crazy hobby with Klipsch Cornwalls that were so loud they could double as a leaf blower.

I'll be replacing my current amp with 50 watt mono's from Gary real soon and from what he says,  that should be plenty.  He said he tested those amps with 87 db bookshelf Sens and he was hitting 90 plus db with ease.  That's enough for me.  Bottom line is I think the OB 5's will be more than adequate.   

I also have AV2's for mains/center, AVr's for rears, Rava sub for my HT.  That room is even bigger than my living room (probably 24 x 35 Den and kitchen combined) and I can blow out the windows.  Last night I watched King Kong at normal listening levels for voices and during the part right before they landed on the island the horn from the ship blew twice out of the rears and it was damn loud.  Wifey and the kids asked me to turn it down some.  The SPL's rattle the walls from a 70 watt crapbox at the halfway mark.  Now if the Av2's can handle a room that big I'm sure the OB-5's can handle a room smaller with no problem at all.

phoenix_rising

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2006, 11:41 pm »
Thanks all for the replies. The reason for the question was I will use it a lot in home theater applications and they are far more demanding for peak dynamics than normal music loads. I think the best solution for me is to go with OB7's minus the subs for LRC and then use two subs for the low end, hopefully that will have me covered for theater reference levels.

Danny,

With regard to using an OB7 for the center I was concerned about the open baffle section if I had to place it underneath a plasma screen in a cabinet, how badly will it affect the open baffle section.