my latest creation - the speakers KLH never built . . . .

bottom_feeder

well - these are about 3 years in the making (took me that long to source at least 16 of the full range drivers).  A brief overview:

Open Baffle Line Arrays using KLH 4.5 inch fullrange speakers; current incarnation uses a radio shack dual radial horn tweeter (97 db eff.) for the top end, and some old KLH model 6's for the low end (corner loaded so to speak).  Crossover is still in the works, but right out of the gate these things are DYNAMIC.  About two weeks ago I cleaned the rug in our sunroom, and before anythign wen back in, I set up just the speakers and the audio system to see what they'd do . . .

they sound MUCH better about 4- 5 feet from the back wall, and with no furniture in the room   :lol:

BUT - even in their 'compromised' current setup, I'm very pleased thus far.  It really is hard to beat the transients and 'liveliness' of OB . . . add the large soundstage of a line array, and I think I'm zeroing in on my nirvana . . .

downsides: bloated bass, 'weird' interface with the tweeter . . . all to be solved by crossover work, and/or active crossover / triamping . . . aaaaaaand  maybe a 15" driver woofer array for bass     :rock:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: my latest creation - the speakers KLH never built . . . .
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2006, 06:07 pm »
NEED PICS!! aa

bottom_feeder

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2006, 03:10 am »
here's a teaser:

I need to find some of the construction and detail shots to upload.  I've got 'em playing right now (NPR Jazz ala Mode) and they're really growing on me.  my (BIG) garage OB were just recently hooked up again, and they sound like horsesh*t compared to the OB line arrays  :roll:   Now I MUST TWEAK THE GARAGE SPEAKERS !   :duh:

these sound MUCH better without the grilles (take a wild guess where they came from), but I've got a 2 year old, and two Basenji Dogs, so these DEFINITELY need some armor.  The grilles have already servewd their purpose a couple times  :D

Still deciding whether to leave them 'raw' or do kindof a 'grille sock' like the old Mirages and DCMs . . . I'm leaning towards the industrial look of raw plywood  :D

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2006, 03:19 am »

these sound MUCH better without the grilles (take a wild guess where they came from)...

Hey!

Ooh! ooh! I know.... they are from Ikea right? They are actually a wall mouth CD rack. :lol:

Anyway, I'm amazed that you actually took time... along one to hunt down those drivers. Well,  good things come to those who wait. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

bottom_feeder

Re: BINGO
« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2006, 03:40 am »
yup . . Ikea CD racks . .   I even book-matched the OB panels, cause it was easy enough

it was a pretty funny evolution of an idea; I'm into all the old KLH & Advent stuff anyway, and over a year & half had acquired KLH 14bs, 19's, another pair of 19's, and I says to myself . . heeeey . . . . these little buggers sound damn good - I could try a line array if I find some more.  Tracked those down on Ebay (KLH 5 midranges.  I made sure the original speaker cabinets stayed in good shape and are stashed away in the basement in case anyone else catches on to these old KLH's. 

Now the hunt's on for 16 more so I can go true line array with the floor to ceiling setup.  Hopefully it takes less time than the first 16   aa

Canyoneagle

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2006, 05:05 am »
Very cool stuff.
I bet you would love to set them free!!!!!!!

Warmly,
Michael