Turntable belt help please.

SET Man

Turntable belt help please.
« on: 20 Dec 2006, 12:56 am »
Hey!

Wonder if you vinyl people here could help me with this?

I'm looking for a specific turntable belt. I need a longer version of round belt for Rega Planar 2. The Planar use round belt approximately 2mm in diameter. I would need something around 30" in length.

If that doesn't exist than I'm sure that there are TTs out there that use round belt like VPI, Clearaudio, JA Michell and etc. If anyone here own a TT with round belt like those mentioned could please let me know what is the diameter and length of your TT belt?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Psychicanimal

Re: Turntable belt help please.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2006, 05:01 am »
Call Kevin KAB.  He's got a wide variety of belts.

vinylkid58

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2006, 06:15 am »
Hi Buddy,

You can buy Buna-N O-ring material by the foot at many industrial supply outlets, or online at McMaster-Carr etc.
Either 2mm or 1/16" (.070) diameter will work as a turntable belt. I'm pretty sure this is the same material as the original Rega P2 belt, and possibly many others. If I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me.
Use a razor blade to spice the ends and use Superglue/Krazyglue (cyanoacrylate) to attach the ends. Voila, instant belt.

Regards,
Jeff

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2006, 07:14 pm »
Hey!

Thanks guys :D But still I want to know if any of you guys here have turn TT like JA Michell, Clearaudio, VPI and etc... I know that they use round belt so I wonder about the length and diameter of those belts.

If not Jeff... I think I will have to get those o-ring as you mentioned. Pretty good idea. But wonder how can I glue without making a bump on the belt :?

Take care,

lazydays

« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2006, 08:12 pm »
Hi Buddy,

You can buy Buna-N O-ring material by the foot at many industrial supply outlets, or online at McMaster-Carr etc.
Either 2mm or 1/16" (.070) diameter will work as a turntable belt. I'm pretty sure this is the same material as the original Rega P2 belt, and possibly many others. If I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me.
Use a razor blade to spice the ends and use Superglue/Krazyglue (cyanoacrylate) to attach the ends. Voila, instant belt.

Regards,
Jeff

if your going to make your own O-ring belt, buy the Loctite O-Ring kit. The best glue for making O-rings is Loctite FS 454, but the kits come with 404. I've made hundreds of O-rings thru the years and without a doubt the FS 454 is better. As for material, I think you want to spec a 100 duro, or a Viton material. The 100 will last longer. Jerry Raskins probably has the drive belt in stock by the way.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #5 on: 25 Dec 2006, 08:14 pm »
Hey!

Thanks guys :D But still I want to know if any of you guys here have turn TT like JA Michell, Clearaudio, VPI and etc... I know that they use round belt so I wonder about the length and diameter of those belts.

If not Jeff... I think I will have to get those o-ring as you mentioned. Pretty good idea. But wonder how can I glue without making a bump on the belt :?

Take care,

my TT uses sewing thread for a drive belt, and it's on it's second one in five years.
gary

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2006, 12:06 am »
Hey!

Take care,

my TT uses sewing thread for a drive belt, and it's on it's second one in five years.
gary

Hey!

Yes, I did tried these but it didn't work because the speed is off with sewing thread. Well, this pulley is designed  for 2mm round belt. :(

Well, since nobody seem to own TT with round belt that I've mentioned and could give me the measurement of diameter and length? I guess I just have to call up TT stores than. :?

Take care,

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2006, 09:09 am »
Buddy.......Check here....... :thumb:

mcrespo71

« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2006, 09:22 am »
Hey!

Wonder if you vinyl people here could help me with this?

I'm looking for a specific turntable belt. I need a longer version of round belt for Rega Planar 2. The Planar use round belt approximately 2mm in diameter. I would need something around 30" in length.

If that doesn't exist than I'm sure that there are TTs out there that use round belt like VPI, Clearaudio, JA Michell and etc. If anyone here own a TT with round belt like those mentioned could please let me know what is the diameter and length of your TT belt?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Why are you trying to use a round belt overt the standard Rega belt anyway?

anal.log

« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2006, 10:40 am »
Try these guys.

http://turntablebasics.com/beltmodels.html#o-ring

They can also have belts made to spec as well.

SET Man

« Reply #10 on: 26 Dec 2006, 05:46 pm »
Why are you trying to use a round belt overt the standard Rega belt anyway?

Hey!

Micheal, I have the old Planar 2 and it use round belt... I think the new P series use flat belt now :scratch:  Anyway, I'm sure you and other are wonder why I want a longer belt right?

Okay, I think it is time to reveal my plan.... and that is... drum roll please! :drums:

I have plan of trying to take over the world! Ha! ha! ha!  :evil:

Oop! sorry wrong plan... that one is not ready yet  :oops:

Seriously I want to mod my Rega by taking the motor out and mount it out side on a rigid and solid platform. The motor in my old Rega Planar is not solidly mounted on the plinth but have 2 o-ring holding it. So, it could move a bit.

So, by doing this it should improve the sound of my good old Rega... and with rigidly mounted motor this should also improve the speed stability too. :D

Well, at least that is the plan. :D And looking for the right belt seem harder that I though it would have been :?

Try these guys.

http://turntablebasics.com/beltmodels.html#o-ring

They can also have belts made to spec as well.

anal.log.... thanks man! I think I see something that might work for my plan. :D

Wish me luck guys! :D

Take care,

vinylkid58

« Reply #11 on: 26 Dec 2006, 07:40 pm »
Hi Buddy,

I say go for it! You can always go back to the original setup if things don't work out. :thumb:

I still maintain that you could make your own belt. Just google "o-ring splicing" and you will see what the kits look like and how to cut the o-ring material to get nice square ends, before gluing.

I had a P2 for many years, but never tried to mod it. I think I went thru 4 carts with that TT.

Best of luck,
Jeff

SET Man

« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2006, 09:40 pm »
Hi Buddy,

I say go for it! You can always go back to the original setup if things don't work out. :thumb:

I still maintain that you could make your own belt. Just google "o-ring splicing" and you will see what the kits look like and how to cut the o-ring material to get nice square ends, before gluing.

I had a P2 for many years, but never tried to mod it. I think I went thru 4 carts with that TT.

Best of luck,
Jeff

Hey!

Well, I found and ordered a 30" belt with the same diameter as the original from Turntable Basic (thanks anal.log)

Yes the plan is coming along now. Now I have to figure out how to make a base and mount the motor on it. :D

Acturally before this I was considering looking for the motor upgrade from Rega. I forgot how much it cost but it was not cheap. They say the new motor is virtually vibration free. But still.... even with that the motor is still mount on the plinth but solid mount this time.

So, why would I spend that amount of money and still have the motor on the TT? And what wrong with the old motor I have now? Nothing! So, I could save money and just get it outside and this have potential to be even better than the new motor upgrade mounted on the TT. :D

Well, let's wait and see. :wink:

Take care,