The Absolute Sound 2006 Product of the Year

95bcwh

The Absolute Sound 2006 Product of the Year
« on: 19 Dec 2006, 02:01 am »
Two things on the list surprised me..

1. Audio Research Reference 210 got the Best Amplifier award (Cost no object)

2. Kharma Mini Exquisite got the Best Speaker award (Cost no object)

Come on, how can TAS give Kharma Mini Exquisite the award in the cost no object category, are they implying that those more expensive Kharma speakers are a waste of money?.. this award thing just doesn't make sense to me.. :scratch:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: The Absolute Sound 2006 Product of the Year
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2006, 03:00 am »
Perhaps they feel that the price/performance ratio merits the award. Maybe they feel like these are such giant killers that they deserve the awards. Possible explanation? Who knows what the determining criteria are. Did they discuss anywhere in the article how they came about to determining a winner?

Cheers

95bcwh

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2006, 03:05 am »
Did they discuss anywhere in the article how they came about to determining a winner?

I didn't recall that reading "price/value" as a criteria, even if it is, it shouldn't be under the "cost no object" category. The judging criteria in this category should be sound and nothing but sound alone. :dunno:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2006, 03:10 am »
I didn't recall that reading "price/value" as a criteria, even if it is, it shouldn't be under the "cost no object" category. The judging criteria in this category should be sound and nothing but sound alone.

Yeah, then it doesn't make as much sense, unless they really are that amazing. Hard to believe though.

Cheers

nunhgrader

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2006, 01:47 am »
It is kinda strange. I think the cost-to-performance ratio is utilized so, the more expensive products from their line are affected by diminishing returns.

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2006, 01:40 pm »
Then again, perhaps the less expensive speaker is more musical. Sometimes the premier ones tend to be more "accurate" and utterly transparent and overdamped to the point where they don't sound as good to the ear as the less expensive models. Happens all the time.

Enjoy,
Bob