My Ultimate 70 Review

daveshel

My Ultimate 70 Review
« on: 19 Dec 2006, 01:38 am »
I purchased an Audio by van Alstine Ultimate 70 in March, 2006. I had been familiar with Frank's work since the early 1980s and had already had great results with AVA upgrades to solid state electronics (an OmegaStar PAT5 and an OmergStar 170EX). I am just as pleased as punch with my Ultimate 70, and would have reviewed it sooner, but I felt that my lack of a frame of reference would not make for a very instructive review. But I'll give it a shot anyway.

I have heard three iterations of a Stereo 70. When I became interested in the idea go going with a tube amp, it was the Untimate 70 that was responsible. I had read about it here. I had been more or less a collector of Dynaco solid state gear for many years, but I did not have a Stereo 70. I started playing around on ebay, and eventually won a stock unit. When I first plugged turned it on, I was struck by the soundstage, but the tonality of the amp was horrible - like singers holding their hands in front of their faces. I recognized that this amp needed recapped. A few weeks later I saw another amp, this refurbished by triageaudio. He keeps the units mostly stock, replacing caps and tube sockets and resoldering everything. I'm not sure why it was that I got into a bidding war on it, but I ended up paying $431 + another 30 for shipping. This unit sounded much better; had pretty good tone in addition to a great soundstage. I still use it in my 'extra' system.

But I really wanted an Ultimate 70, so I saved up and shipped the first unit off to Frank. When I got it back, I was amazed. The clarity and presence of the mids and highs was immediately impressive. Up until that point, I had been having trouble with people using the word 'sweet' in describing an amp or preamp. But the upper registers were warbling sweetly and the bass was good and tight and the tonal balance was excellent and the soundstage was even better than what I was used to with my solid state AVA rig. Then I also understood why tube sound was sometimes called 'warm' because compared to this Ultimate 70, the refurb unit had a sound that could be described as warm. This was just clear. Another term that was lost on me until that moment was 'engaging.' But with every note I heard, I keep wanting to hear how the next would sound.

I tried it with several solid state preamps and a stock PAS3, then found a deal on a Super PAS Three with the black face plate. No surprise that this is the best pairing with the Ultimate 70.

I was originally planning to someday have my refurb unit upgraded so I can run two bridged in mono, but with my degree of satisfaction with my single unit balanced against the cost of a phase inverter, I am now trying to sell the refurb unit. I told a prospective customer, "If the old stock unit is a 1 and the AVA upgrade is a 10, the refurb comes in at 6, maybe 7."
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2006, 03:17 am by daveshel »

WEEZ

8)

daveshel

228 views over the the last week, but only one comment - my review must have either been so good it left no questions unanswered or so bad it didn't merit any response  :?

avahifi

Your review was just fine, thank you.

However, at the same time as it was getting 200+ hits, the thread on Interconnect Cables got over 2000 hits.   :o :cry:

Shows where the priorities are around here.  Great engineering, who cares, magic snakeoil BS, just wonderful.

Bah humbug.

Frank Van Alstine

TjMV3

If it provides any solace,  I'd rather read posts about your engineering and theories,  than anything about cables.......any day.

daveshel

Re: My Ultimate 70 Review
« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2006, 03:17 am »
Shows where the priorities are around here.  Great engineering, who cares, magic snakeoil BS, just wonderful.

And I can see now why you would question whether there was enough interest to support production of the new version.

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2006, 09:55 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the well written review regarding the ultimate 70.  I would really like to purchase one but i currently alread have 3 amplifiers (only 1 set of speakers) and at this stage i don't have the finances to purchase another one.

If i did decide to purchase one (though) does audio van alstine have a ready stock of dynaco amps and can it be converted to 240voltage?

Thanks for the review and frank i agree with your comment regarding cables.  what a waste of time.

Regards

Rod

DeadFish

« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2006, 03:13 pm »
I have to chime in as well Dave, as I liked your review, doncha know. 
I took "If the old stock unit is a 1 and the AVA upgrade is a 10, the refurb comes in at 6, maybe 7." real seriously when you first told me.
I know from my past, I have a *real* problem with 'feature-creep', where, like you, I realize "If this sounds THIS good, just think how good the modded unit can be!"   :wink:
Between things said by you, and conversation with Weez, I have a serious 'lust in my heart' for an Ultimate 70. 
My wallet (and wife) don't always want to cooperate though... :?
I've wanted to hear a Stereo 70 through my Altec 19's for quite a while, and know, once I get that much power into them, where that path would probably take me...
Thanks go to you and Frank for nudging my imagination.....

Best Regards,
DeadFish