Scan Speak vs Usher

frustrated

Scan Speak vs Usher
« on: 19 Dec 2006, 01:20 am »
Rick,
 I am sure this is not a new question but have you done projects with the Usher drivers?  If so, how do they compare to the Scan Speak?   :?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Scan Speak vs Usher
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2006, 03:00 pm »
Rick,
 I am sure this is not a new question but have you done projects with the Usher drivers?  If so, how do they compare to the Scan Speak?   :?

I have used some of the Usher drivers and have heard a few of their own designs. I have mixed feelings about the company because of their earlier efforts to produce cosmetic copies of Scan-Speak drivers. Now they seem to be doing more original work and I applaud that.

So far I haven't seen anything from them that I feel is as good or better than the Scan-Speak woofer that I use in the SSR. Their beryllium drivers are interesting but I don't think they will ever sell those separately, reserving them for their own line of speakers. Their drivers are overall pretty good but I've not found one that I think works better than the drivers I currently use.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2006, 04:46 pm »
I've had the exact opposite experience with Usher drivers compared to Scanspeak.  I've been using them for 5+ years in my own personal systems.  My first exposure to them was in a DIY design where the original Scanspeak drivers had failed for no good reason.  I tried the Usher woofers in place of the Scanspeak mainly because the Ushers were less than half the price of the Scanspeak.  What I found was that the driver was much better behaved and had much better performance in some areas than the "copied" Scanspeak woofer.   I've since used the Usher drivers in numerous designs with great success.  Combined with the commercial Usher offerings, I've had a 0% failure rate in the field, which I can't say about any other manufacturer's drivers.  Right now, I use Usher woofers in my truck's sound system (I did my own custom speaker system).  4+ years of sun exposure, exposure to the elements, and North Carolina summers & "winters" hasn't phased them.

I agree with Rick that Usher will not likely release the Be drivers to the general public.  They are holding those drivers tight to the vest.  As a dealer for Usher's commercial speakers, I've tried to use that relationship to get my hands on a set of drivers to play with and it was no go....  Now that I've got Be-20s on display, there might be a catastrophic amplifier failure that takes out all the drivers in these new speakers over the Christmas holiday.......  aa just kidding! (although I likely just jinxed myself  :x :o )

My opinions and experiences probably don't carry the same weight as Rick's.  But I thought it prudent to share a differing viewpoint and experience.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2006, 07:05 pm »
I've had the exact opposite experience with Usher drivers compared to Scanspeak.  I've been using them for 5+ years in my own personal systems.  My first exposure to them was in a DIY design where the original Scanspeak drivers had failed for no good reason.  I tried the Usher woofers in place of the Scanspeak mainly because the Ushers were less than half the price of the Scanspeak.  What I found was that the driver was much better behaved and had much better performance in some areas than the "copied" Scanspeak woofer.   I've since used the Usher drivers in numerous designs with great success.  Combined with the commercial Usher offerings, I've had a 0% failure rate in the field, which I can't say about any other manufacturer's drivers.  Right now, I use Usher woofers in my truck's sound system (I did my own custom speaker system).  4+ years of sun exposure, exposure to the elements, and North Carolina summers & "winters" hasn't phased them.

I agree with Rick that Usher will not likely release the Be drivers to the general public.  They are holding those drivers tight to the vest.  As a dealer for Usher's commercial speakers, I've tried to use that relationship to get my hands on a set of drivers to play with and it was no go....  Now that I've got Be-20s on display, there might be a catastrophic amplifier failure that takes out all the drivers in these new speakers over the Christmas holiday.......  aa just kidding! (although I likely just jinxed myself  :x :o )

My opinions and experiences probably don't carry the same weight as Rick's.  But I thought it prudent to share a differing viewpoint and experience.

Shane it was quite obvious that they were copying Scan-Speak; in fact, there were some legal issues involved as well. Usher did make some changes to the motor design but for the consumer they made the front look like a Scan-Speak driver. I've been using Scan-Speak drivers for about 20 years now and their quality control and reliability has been first rate. I agree that the Usher drivers are a good value but for what I need the Scan-Speak woofers have been the best choice. In the RC3R and SSR they perform very well.

If I was doing a 18W8545 / 9500 2-way I would consider the Usher alternatives but there's not much demand for that type of design with the other types of drivers that are now available. There are also some other products coming out in 2007 that will be competitive with Usher pricewise and offer advanced technology. Look for them at the CES  :D

Norman Tracy

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2006, 07:23 pm »
On the beryllium drivers is it known are they pressed foil like Focal's or vapor deposited like TAD? Are they 100% beryllium or plated/painted like the counterfit beryllium tweeters identified in Voice Coil magazine?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2006, 07:45 pm »
On the beryllium drivers is it known are they pressed foil like Focal's or vapor deposited like TAD? Are they 100% beryllium or plated/painted like the counterfit beryllium tweeters identified in Voice Coil magazine?

Beryllium is very toxic to work with so that's one reason why you don't see it very often in drivers. The Yamaha NS-1000 from the late 70's had a midrange and tweeter that were made of beryllium.

frustrated

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2006, 10:36 pm »
Rick,
Thanks for your candid reply.  I did not mean to suggest that you should replace the Scan Speak products in your designs with Usher.  I was trying to get a feel for their value and how they might stack up against other lines line Peerless, HiVi or even the Dayton products.  Thanks eveyone for the discussion.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2006, 01:44 am »
Rick,
Thanks for your candid reply.  I did not mean to suggest that you should replace the Scan Speak products in your designs with Usher.  I was trying to get a feel for their value and how they might stack up against other lines line Peerless, HiVi or even the Dayton products.  Thanks eveyone for the discussion.

No problem. I'm flexible as far as designing with whatever drivers you prefer - in the end it's your speaker and it can be tailored to what you like most.