my intro hello from norcal - a simple new set up

low.pfile

my intro hello from norcal - a simple new set up
« on: 16 Dec 2006, 09:19 am »
Hello

I just found the AC forum and think I will hang out a while to check things out, learn some new stuff.
I guess I'd be in the entry level mid-fi group....
in the last couple of months I acquired and set up my new system which is focused on music
but shared with my LCDTV.

audio set up
  • Denon 4306 Receiver
    Denon 1730 CD/DVD
    Apple G5 Server w/500 GB Library of AIFFs via Airport Express w optical to RCVR
    2.1 speakers: 2-Tetra 120U / Martin Logan Abyss Subwoofer
    Anti-Cable Speaker Cables

video set up
  • Denon 4306 Receiver
    Denon 1730 CD/DVD
    5.1 speakers: L-C-R 3-Tetra 120U / 2-Morel Sound Spots SA-2 / Martin Logan Abyss Subwoofer
    Sony 40" LCD 40v25oo

I am really enjoying the set up. My next area of focus will be to investigate room treatments that will not dramatically impact the aesthetic layout of my living room ( I don't want it to look like a sound studio)
I am still working on transferring my approx 500 CD to AIFF. Also will be looking into a simple turntable that will get minimum play time but I a curious.

see you online

MaxCast

Re: my intro hello from norcal - a simple new set up
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2006, 11:21 am »
Welcome to AC.

I heard some Tetra 305's at a mini show and was very impressed.  Glad you are enjoying your set up...that's what its all about...not the price.
Room treatments will make any system sound better, but as you said it can get ugly to those that just don't understand.  Start with your  first reflection points.  Then if your allowed the tri corners and corners.  There are a few accoustics experts that hang out here and have a circle.

Check out the vinyl circle.  There are a number of topics on getting started and TT for <$500.

Have fun

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2006, 11:31 am »
Welcome,

I'm a bang for the buck kind of guy and your stuff fits that bill as you straddle the audio/HT fence.  If you find yourself drawn toward the audio side, you'll be changing out the Denon stuff first (look for a pre-amp with a bypass feature). 

Check out the acoustics circle for room treatment ideas.  Most rooms suffer primarily from muddy bass.  As bass energy collects in the corners, that's where treatments need to go.  Smaller rooms tend to have more mid/high frequency issues and that's where first reflection treatments come in.  High density fiberglass is about the best all around (wide frequency spectrum) absorption material.  There are a couple of vendors of high density fiberglass panels that frequent the circle, or if you're halfway into DIY and want an artistic flair they can be built with the fabric coverings decorated.

Christof

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2006, 12:10 am »
Another Mac guy!!!!!!!!!! 

Welcome
-c

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2007, 06:00 pm »
The nice thing about vinyl, especially where you live, is that you
should be able to find a lot of fun stuff for reasonable prices and
build a decent collection pretty quickly.

Enjoy!

Berndt

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2007, 05:26 pm »
Welcome to AC, check out the norcal regional circle when you get a chance.
I started vinyl the same way you did, digital transfer. TT's are more fun than I thought they would be.