New GK-1R Birth Announcement!

pea

New GK-1R Birth Announcement!
« on: 15 Dec 2006, 11:35 pm »
I just put the last screw in the chassis lid!

This is one awesome piece of gear Hugh! I did have some hum issues to deal with but with Hugh's help we worked through it and it is completely quiet. As I was putting things away and listening to music I had to stop several times because I thought I was hearing something odd. It turned out to be detail in the music I had not been hearing before and I thought I was hearing a problem with the GK-1.  :oops:

I was just listening to James Taylor and he ended a song by striking a chord on his guitar. I love how the chord sustained and just hung there then faded into complete silence. GOOSEBUMPS!!!!

It took me a long time to put everything together then build a chassis from scratch but just these past couple of hours have been a tremendous reward. The head scratching and effort were definitely worth it all. And the cool part is it will only get sweeter and better sounding as it's played.

Hugh, did I tell you how awesome this thing is!!! Thank you for designing such a wonderful piece of gear.

Hint to everyone else... if you don't have a GK-1 get one soon it will increase you listening pleasure more than you can believe.

Thanks again Hugh!

AKSA

Re: New GK-1R Birth Announcement!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2006, 11:45 pm »
HI Bruce,

My pleasure, Sir, you were a fantastic constructor, patient, careful, and measured.  I really appreciated that!

Glad you like the 'organic' delivery - it's everything a tube should be, but without the soggy bass!

Cheers,

Hugh

fajimr

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2006, 03:26 pm »
hi pea

congratulations!!!!  will you get some photos up soon for us  :drool: ?  I hope to get working on mine over the holidays- once things finally quiet down.

jim

pea

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2006, 04:15 pm »
Hi Jim,

I will definitely have some pictures to share soon. I have to tell you this thing is really sweet. It's like I have a whole new cd collection. I'm hearing a lot more detail and it's wonderful!

I'm also impressed with how quiet I was actually able to get my GK-1 to be. I have to virtually put my ear on the speaker cone to begin to hear anything resembling hum. The room has to be quiet and I have to - try - to hear any hum. It is for all practical purposes non-existent. The silence in songs and between songs is deep and black if you understand what I'm trying to say.

I didn't use any shielding of any kind around the transformers but I did use coax for all the signal runs between the analog board and the relay board. Also read this thread, it was very helpful to me along with Hugh's comments by email:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=26036.0 .

One other thing I did was 'The Simple GK-1 Tweak' found in this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=27861.0

I was thinking about it last night and I believe I rewired my GK-1 five times before I finally understood how to setup the star ground properly, changing cat5 for coax, rerouting the power wiring and just trying to set it up to get all it had to offer out of it. It took longer than I had planned but it was worth all the effort.

Get yours going, you'll be glad you did!!

Happy listening -
Bruce

Tabascosauce

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2006, 12:13 am »
Congratulations Pea.

Wait till you give it 50 hours burn in.  Things will only get better!!

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2006, 01:37 pm »
My GK1-R was born Prematurely and is still waiting for a skin.

maybe one day? having said that I've got a pair of Visaton B200s in cloaked in cardboard waiting and several other bits, I just get bored quickly and lack space to buy and store any tools...

The only hum related noise I get is the motor from the volume control and the loud clicking of relays, otherwise all I get is music.

Maybe I'll buy myself a LF55 to have unclothed round the house as well for xmas/birthday?

Nick.

AKSA

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2006, 10:24 pm »
Ah, Nick,

We must remember that even without his clothes, the Emperor is still the Emperor!!

In my game it is risky to look back with pride, but I really do with the GK1, it's a lovely piece of kit, and the sound is somehow very beguiling......   8)

Like a young lady I just (hot air!!) ballooned with in the Yarra Valley from Birmingham Alabama - beguiling.  But sadly her accent was so southern I could hardly understand her and her boyfriend - and doubtless she had trouble with my flat Oz accent too!!   :drool:

I had never ballooned before - an inexpensive opportunity came up -  it was wonderful.  But somehow, I miss an engine - to be serious, and this is where the Arabs have us all by the short hairs, if it doesn't burn fossil fuel, it's no fun.   :lol:

Cheers,

Hugh

fajimr

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2006, 03:49 am »
Get yours going, you'll be glad you did!!

Happy listening -
Bruce

thanks Bruce- and thanks for those pointers- I remember reading them and will do so again once I get ready to build.

cheers
jim