Does anyone use third party power cord instead of stocked power cord?

michaelv

If so, which one do you prefer?

thanks.

electricbear

I've played around with a lot of different power cords and the conclusion that I've reached is that they are very equipment dependant. A cord that may make a cd player and preamp sound wonderful may make an amp sound thin and compressed. The best thing you can do is try several out. On the souce components that I have, I have used and liked the AQ NRG5 and the Richard Gray Powercord. I did not like any of the PS Audio cords. I have it on good authority that the Acoustic Zen cords are worth a listen to. Find a company or store that will let you borrow some cords and play with them. Only you can determine what works for you. In general though replacing your stock cord can make a big difference. You should also if possable run a dedicated circuit to run your system on. This made a huge difference for me. :) 

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Here is a (civil) on-topic thread in progess which deals with some of the issues!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=34578.0

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Volex are respected and super cheap.

If you live with:

Unknown or substandard (by modern building codes) wiring in the rest of your house (or eek, apartment);

Old appliances, furnace, flourscent lighting, lights on dimmers, etc. sharing the panel;

Old power distribution systems in your area or share that system with industrial users; and

Don't have some sort of electrical isolation device why worry about it?

Of course a radical, but cheaper option is to go battery powered and leave all the above behind.  See Red Wine Audio, Altman, Welborne, etc. for such vendors.  You have to remember to turn them off to allow recharge.

Nick B

The Volex do a very fine job on my CIA D200's. Haven't been in the mood for some time to spend lots of $$ on power cords.

djbnh

I use various VH Audio "Flavor" PCs. There's premade and DIY options. Chris VenHaus is excellent to work with. Best of luck with your decision.

LightFire

thanks.

The one that comes with the unit is your best choice (unless it is defective). A third party power cord will NEVER make it sound better. it is against the laws of physics.

JLM

Did someone say, "flat earth"?

bacobits1

For quite awhile now I use all Cryoed Asylum Power Cables
except on the CDP I use an XLO.

D

bunky

thanks.

The one that comes with the unit is your best choice (unless it is defective). A third party power cord will NEVER make it sound better. it is against the laws of physics.
I choose to use Signal Cable Magic power and Magic power Digital reference powercord's in my two channel rig and for some mysterious reason they seem to defy the laws of physics by making my system sound better than the stock power cords :scratch: :wink: thanks....WCW III

michaelv

thanks for all replies. So what do you think  about PS Audio? i own Ultimate Outlet (high current) from PS audio and it's quite good. But i don't know if PS Audio power cable is good or not.

JLM

I knew a guy from another forum that liked the power cords, but I've never been a fan of theirs.  A friend brought over his P300 yerars ago and it did almost nothing for my then very modest system.  Don't care for the black box way they've built/marketed their current series of power amps.  And of course there are all the reports of poor realiability.

denjo

I agree that cables are system dependant. When I switched from stock to Black Sand Silver Ref IV, I remembered my first impressions were as if I had a sub-W for seismic duties! I am very happy with the Black Sand cables and have no urge to upgrade.

Happy listening!

Best Regards
Dennis

TONEPUB

thanks.

Actually, physics is the reason that the good power cords sound better.  What a truly good power cord does better than the stock cord is to transfer the energy from the socket to the device more efficiently.

However, I've always seen the cord and cable thing as an incremental increase.  I know that many
say that changing a power cord "dramatically" increases the sound quality, to me it's always been
a couple of percent here and there.

But if the rest of your system is sounding really good and you've taken care of room anomalies to the best of your ability, there will be some modest gains to be had.  If you have a really fantastic system with a lot of dynamics and resolution, you will hear a difference.  If you have a very modest system,
chances are you won't here much if any difference.

This one can be argued about forever...

:)