Ultimat 70...any new updates?

WEEZ

Ultimat 70...any new updates?
« on: 15 Dec 2006, 01:44 am »
After having a chance to listen to the Ultimate 70 in the 'new' chassis at RMAF; (and it sounded great, btw) some might be curious as to any final tweaks; adjustments; or updates on this little jewel.

On an older thread, I think I read that the output trannies were Magnaquest..and that the new power trannie helped to push the power up a little...like close to 40w?

Nothing yet on the website, so Frank, when you're ready, please post an update for us.

:thumb:

WEEZ

rlee8394

Re: Ultimat 70...any new updates?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2006, 08:24 pm »
I installed the new power transformers from Triode Electronics. Haven't done any measurements, but they do run cooler and are quiet as opposed to one of the originals. I have a pair of U70's. I would be very interested if Frank would make the chassis available as a retrofit. Otherwise I may look for another replacement such as from Triode, or better yet, Soundtastick at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Soundtastick-Super-Store

The Sountastick has a much cleaner front and several nice touches such as bias jacks and new binding posts.

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2006, 11:28 am »
I am still waiting to pull the trigger on the new Ultra 70 amplifier because it will need to be priced at about $1800.  Prices of transformers and other critical components are going up really fast.

I am not sure there are enough potential clients to make it worthwhile.  We have had the basic design concepts running out there in our Dyna St-70 Ultimate 70 rebuild for a year now. While the many clients seem to be really happy with the Ultimate 70, they have not been posting any reviews adequate to stir up lots of interest.

Lets hear from you please.

Frank Van Alstine

rustneversleeps

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2006, 02:19 am »
I have to say that the main purpose to build a kit is to save money, have fun building it, and learn how electronic works. $1800 for a kit is a little steep and defeat the purpose of building a kit. As much as I like Franks product, I think savaging a used Dyna and build the Ultra 70 would save at least 60% of what the Ultra kit would cost. Or even build one from the ground up would save a bunch of money

Ultra 70 on a Dyna chassis is much more pleasant to look at, I've never liked the idea of the Ultra 70 with a new black chassis.

Last kit I built was the AES Super Amp Signature, and it cost me $1100, and the amp is first class with two modes of operation (Ultralinear or Triode). But the time that I spent on it somehow told me I shouldn't do it again, not for $1800.

rlee8394

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2006, 03:41 am »
I think Frank's pricing was based on a complete unit, not the kit version. In any event, I agree with WEEZ, most build kits to save money and personal fulfilment. Even if one doesn't have a working Dyna ST-70 to transform, with transformer bundle from Triode Electronics for $269, new chassis from $99, and if one springs for Frank's full kit at $449 as opposed to just the board and plans for $149, the total cost would be around $817. Less if they chose board and plans. Consider a few miscellaneous parts and the whole thing can be build for under $900, less than half of a complete unit from AVA. So for Frank to "pull the trigger" as he states, I would imagine that there would have to be a greater demand for factory built units. Given the type of folks we are, maybe there are more of us who would rather build than buy the complete unit. I don't know if Frank can get the kit version down in price close to $900- $1000. So you can't blame Frank for not moving forward without sufficient demand for the complete unit.
I would contend though, that Frank may be more successful at getting the current installed base of Super 70 units upgraded to Ultra 70 status, as well as getting original ST-70's upgraded to Ultra units. To that end, making the chassis available as a retrofit for those who currently have Ultra 70's in less than beautiful chassis would also nudge those who are on the fence in considering upgrading stock or Super 70 units to Ultra 70's. Even if the new chassis was 3 times the price of the current offerings at $300, I think he would get a lot of Ultra 70 customers ordering the new chassis. I'd go for two of them. This of course does not help the music lover who can't/won't pickup a soldering iron. So, as I said, one would need to know what the true demand is for the product and in what version, kit or complete unit.

WEEZ

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2006, 12:00 pm »
A couple of things...

I believe the $1800 figure Frank mentioned was for a completed (assembled) unit with the new chassis; trannies; boards; etc. Not a kit. (Frank can confirm)....actually, I think that is a fair price relative to the competition. There are a couple of Canadian companies offering 30w/ch amps (complete) for a bit less, but use standard 'off the shelf' Hammond trannies.

The reason for my post was not to spark a debate as to whether we should all be building kits or not....it was simply to inquire if the 'new' unit was available; maybe see some pictures, etc....

I would urge users of the current 'kit' amps to post here regarding sonics; why they like them; maybe what they replaced; etc...just like Frank suggested. I can understand Frank's reluctance to move forward until the 'market' is determined. A few well written reviews might help to create some demand. User reviews of the T7 pre-amp back when it was introduced seemed to do just that...

WEEZ

avahifi

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2006, 08:36 pm »
The price of $1800 is of course for a complete factory wired unit, Magnequest output transformers, matched set KT-77 tubes and all.  The new chassis is not for the Ultimate 70 audio board.  We redesigned the board for our own chassis to move it below the chassis for electrical shock protection (only the tubes protrude above the chassis).

There are any number of Dyna St-70 replacement chassis out there that will work with our Ultimate 70 board.  I just wish there was more feedback herein from those that already are using the U70.

Frank Van Alstine

WEEZ

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2006, 11:39 pm »
...yeah, let's hear from you U70 owners  (:dunno:...probably enjoying the music so much- no time to write  :singing:)

I can only offer a brief description of what I heard at RMAF. (I've posted about this previously..)

The system was Ultra Dac; T8; U70; Salk HT2. The bass response was surprising. For those who remember a 'stock' Stereo 70's sound- the U70 was night and day different. The bass was deep and full.

The midrange was, or course, superb. Much more refined than any 'stocker'...better resolution.

The high frequencies may have been a bit soft, but nicely extended. Again, better than any 'stocker' by far.

This is an easy amplifier to like. This is not an amp that sounds like lard; but rather, finely whipped cream. Smooth and musical as all get out. Dimensional. Open. Sweet.

It's a compact, cool ( 8)) and modern looking amplifier. Nicely laid out. All jacks and plugs on the back (wife won't complain about your ugly cables showing in the front  :lol: ). A made in America amplifier that will surely compete with amplifiers that cost more....an update of a classic that should become a 'new' classic.

(how'd I do , Frank)  :lol:

C'mon, U70 owners. Let's hear it....

WEEZ :green:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2006, 11:56 pm »
Weez my son:

You done good!!!

Dad

WEEZ

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2006, 12:07 am »
Hi Dad (er, Charles  :oops::wave:

You were there, did you hear the U70? Would you not agree that the U70 was really fine?

your son,

WEEZ :icon_lol:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2006, 12:33 am »

Weeze:
  What I heard in Frank's room had a very pleasing sound to these old ears. I really don't want to say it was the best at the show. Who really knows what was the best at the show. I don't and I'm sure a lot of other people don't. But if I were to take the audio gear plunge again(Gotta wait at least six more years)Frank's gear would be near the top of my list.

Hey!!! A very merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family!!!

Dad

WEEZ

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2006, 12:43 am »
thanks buddy, er...dad,...er... Charlie  :D

And the same to all here....Merry Christmas!

now let's hear about the U70....... :xmas:

:rotflmao:

daveshel

« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2006, 01:51 am »

now let's hear about the U70....... :xmas:

OK, I have posted a U70 review: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=34766.0