Another power supply option for the Squeeze Box

Wayne1

Another power supply option for the Squeeze Box
« on: 15 Dec 2006, 12:42 am »
The modded ELPAC WM075-1950 has been "the standard" for folks who want to change from the stock switching power supply.

A little bit ago I was asked about another ELPAC supply, the WM220-1. It is a larger supply that delivers 5 volts @ 2 amps.

I was sent one today. It is quite a nice power supply. It uses a larger transformer and has more space for capacitor upgrades.

I was able to mod it. I disabled the 12 volt sections and replaced the diodes and caps. I installed the correct DC connector on the output cable.

If folks are interested in this mod, I will put it on the website. It does take a few more parts and a bit more labor, so the cost for the mod would be about $125.00

These power supplies retail for around $120.00. I have seen them on surplus electronics websites and on e-bay for as low as $20.00.

Here is a picture of the WM220 next to the WM075. It is a power brick rather than a wall wart.

pis99

Re: Another power supply option for the Squeeze Box
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2006, 04:31 am »
Hi Wayne,

Yes, I am interested! Please check your PM.

Thanks!

Daniel

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2006, 12:51 am »
I had this modded ELPAC WM220-1 running most of the day in my office system. It was powering a modded SB2 with Sonicap Platinums in the analog output. The SB2 was running direct into my power amp.

I was listening to it while I was working and I did notice a deeper, tighter low end from this supply. It was quite a bit nicer than the "standard" modded ELPAC WM075-1950. I took a little time and did a direct comparison. The modded WM220-1 DID extend deeper and had more impact. The overall clarity was also improved.

I will put this down to the larger power transformer in this supply. It does allow more current to pass through when needed on peaks. The "power brick" configuration also allows for more than double the smoothing capacitance and almost 10 times the reservoir storage.

At this time, the WM220-1 has my "best bang for the buck" recommendation. These can be found on E-bay for a very decent price. They are a bit heavy at 4.5 lbs, so shipping costs are a factor to be considered.

I have added mods to this PS to the BOLDER Cable website. http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/Detail?no=381

sonofcolin

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2006, 12:55 am »

I was sent one today. It is quite a nice power supply. It uses a larger transformer and has more space for capacitor upgrades.

I think that was mine :D
Looking forward too getting it back. Thanks for the fast turn around!

brj

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2006, 12:56 am »
Wayne, from the pictures I've seen, it looks like the WM220 has a captive AC cable.  If this correct, could an IEC be added to the stock enclosure?

Alternately, what internal dimensions would an alternate enclosure need to house the guts of the modded Elpac?

Thanks!

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2006, 01:19 am »
The WM220-1 DOES have a captive three conductor AC power cable. There is not enough room in the case to add an IEC. I could replace the AC connector with a WattGate or Oyaide for more money :wink:

I did ship the modded WM220-1 back to sonofcolin late this afternoon. I am not sure of what case size it would fit into.

IMO that would raise the cost beyond "economical" for this supply. I think that something like the Welborne supply would be more cost effective.

The big benefit for me is that it already comes with a case. No extra machining costs. For all out, the Ultimate MKII is the way to go :thumb:

sonofcolin

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2006, 01:23 am »
I bought the WM220 from Allied Electronic:
http://www.alliedelec.com/
for $41.00. I think they have a large stock.

Wayne1

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2006, 04:19 pm »
I bought the WM220 from Allied Electronic:
http://www.alliedelec.com/
for $41.00. I think they have a large stock.

Could you post a link of where you found the WM220-1?

When I searched Allied Electronics the price was closer to $120.00 and they showed none in stock.