X-Box 360 for streaming audio

rbrb

X-Box 360 for streaming audio
« on: 14 Dec 2006, 05:50 pm »
Sorry if this has been dealt with before.  Is anyone using a 360 to stream music from a Media Center PC?  How does it sound?  I wasn't sure if this question belonged here or Ender's Game.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2006, 12:38 am by rbrb »

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: X-Box 360 for streaming audio
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2006, 03:08 am »
This is a good place since it is streaming audio.

You could post something there too since the XBox folks will all see it there.

I have yet to set up my XBox as a Media Center Extender. That's what it would be, correct? I have about decided this is the solution to running out of drive space on the 360 - put all the media on a Media Center PC, including High-Def demos, previews and movies you may download using the XBox. At this point I have been too lazy/busy to read up on how this works.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2006, 04:04 am »
At this point I have been too lazy/busy to read up on how this works.
Me too jqp.
My problem is the unusually long wire run from the PC to the 360.
I don't know if 25-30' of USB would work, and if it does where to buy a cable that long. Once again, I've not spent the time to check if anyone makes them that long, but I've only seen like 6' cables.
I've spent more time on 2 channel stuff, Open Baffles, and H.T. to check into everything integrating nicely.
One of these days, I'd like to stream from PC to 360 to the OB's and front projection unit. All from one cozy chair.
All the toys are in the same room, they just aren't all "playing together in the same sandbox".

Bob

rbrb

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2007, 04:32 pm »
I guess I'll answer my own question now that I have the hardware in place in case others here are interested in using a 360 to stream content from their PC.

It actually works quite well.  It's amazingly easy to use especially with the optional universal remote.  Sound quality with CD playback is directly governed by how well my pre/pro processes Redbook audio, the 360 is basically a control unit.

For recording TV for later playback it's a dream, far easier to use than the DVD recorder I was using previously.

The XBox 360 turned out to be exactly the solution I was looking for.  Being able to play HD games is icing on the cake.

Hoots

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2007, 04:39 pm »
I used the 360 as an extender for my MCE machine.

I thought it did well...eliminated the need for a squeezebox plus it provided mce visual i/f.   The DVR is outstanding but I can't get HD w/o OTA.   I couldn't stream ripped DVDs.   I also thought it was too loud.

I put my MCE machine in the closet behind my TV and use it directly connected to my TV/Pre/pro, etc.  I also use Meedio for music w/ASIO to bypass Kernel streaming (I believe the xbox360 extender did this as well).   

I use TWarne HD-DVR which has a poor interface but good pic quality

I use ps3 for movies and games....SACD over HDMI.