x James: Any news about the external dac?

nico75r6

x James: Any news about the external dac?
« on: 13 Dec 2006, 10:25 am »
Hello James,

I have a Bryston BP26 and a 3B SST and I am looking for a DAC. It's almost a year I am expecting for the Bryston one to be released but there ave not been any news about it recently. Where is the actual expected release date and an indicative price?

Will the Bryston external DAC have a Worldclock in/out to be used with the Apogee BigBen?

Another question, that someone asked before on the group but tat have not been answered. Will it be possible to do a digital loop wih your DAC?

I want to do this:

Enter with AES/EBU IN in the Bryston  DAC.

Exit through SPDIF OUT to a PC with an RME HDSP soundcard and do convolution

Enter back from the PC in the Bryston DAC through SPDIF IN. the DAC will convet to ANALOG and exit with XLR to the BP26.

RME HDSP on the PC and the Bryston DAC ideally would be under the control of the BigBen WorldClock to remove jitter.

Thanks

Nicola

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: x James: Any news about the external dac?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2006, 08:15 pm »
Hello James,

I have a Bryston BP26 and a 3B SST and I am looking for a DAC. It's almost a year I am expecting for the Bryston one to be released but there ave not been any news about it recently. Where is the actual expected release date and an indicative price?

Will the Bryston external DAC have a Worldclock in/out to be used with the Apogee BigBen?

Another question, that someone asked before on the group but tat have not been answered. Will it be possible to do a digital loop wih your DAC?

I want to do this:

Enter with AES/EBU IN in the Bryston  DAC.

Exit through SPDIF OUT to a PC with an RME HDSP soundcard and do convolution

Enter back from the PC in the Bryston DAC through SPDIF IN. the DAC will convet to ANALOG and exit with XLR to the BP26.

RME HDSP on the PC and the Bryston DAC ideally would be under the control of the BigBen WorldClock to remove jitter.

Thanks

Nicola

Hi Nicola,

I will have to pass on some of these questions but the outboard DAC will be sometine in the early spring 07.

The CD player we hope to announce for sale at the Vegas Show in January 07.

I do not believe the DAC will have a worldclock in and out.

As for the loop through questions the engineer will have to answer that one.

james

james_dmi

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2006, 11:48 am »
Hi James,

When you’re asking the engineer about the loop through could you also ask if there will be some way of remote switching between all the different inputs? Maybe with IR or with some sort of external remote interface.

Also I am interested in how the USB input will work. Will this use some sort of Bryston sound driver that will push the digital sound out of the USB port or will you be using a driver that allows the PC to respond to digital data requests form the DAC thus removing any possibility of Jitter?

nico75r6

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2006, 05:41 pm »
Hi James, I am wondering why you do not plan to have a word clock in/out in your external dac. What is the reason?

Nicola

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2006, 06:56 pm »
Hi Nicola,

We have not discuss the wordclock yet - what do you see would be the advantages - low jitter?

james

nico75r6

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2007, 02:42 pm »
Yes, very low or no jitter at all.

As transport I am building an high end fanless pc equipped with a pro RME HDSP 9652 soundcard and external power supply to remove electrical noise inside the cabinet.

I will use it as musicserver with room correction and maybe as videoserver too. The RME card has a word clock input/output and I will exit from it through SPDIF or ADAT.

My plan is to buy a professional external dac like the Apogee Rosetta and add a wordclock unit (the Apogee Big Ben) to synchronize the clock in the PC and in the DAC. This should remove the jitter.

Since I already have a Bryston BP26 and a 3BSST for me it would be better for me to have a Bryston external DAC with wordclok in and out instead of buying the one from Apogee.

Nicola

Thunder

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2007, 03:29 am »
Yes, very low or no jitter at all.

As transport I am building an high end fanless pc equipped with a pro RME HDSP 9652 soundcard and external power supply to remove electrical noise inside the cabinet.

I will use it as musicserver with room correction and maybe as videoserver too. The RME card has a word clock input/output and I will exit from it through SPDIF or ADAT.

My plan is to buy a professional external dac like the Apogee Rosetta and add a wordclock unit (the Apogee Big Ben) to synchronize the clock in the PC and in the DAC. This should remove the jitter.

Since I already have a Bryston BP26 and a 3BSST for me it would be better for me to have a Bryston external DAC with wordclok in and out instead of buying the one from Apogee.

Nicola

As a suggestion, you should check out Prism Dream DA-1 or DA-2 for your DAC needs. It is outstanding and offers word clock in and out. I have mine synched (as master) with a Meitner transport (slave). Upstream, it is connected to a BP26 and 7B SST amps. It's a pro piece that you will find in many of the same mastering studios as Bryston and PMC. Try and find a used one for great value - rather expensive new. You won't be sorry, believe me!