PeteG

« on: 12 Dec 2006, 04:22 pm »
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/300_hd.html

Battle of Thermopylae on which 300 (Frank Miller's graphic novel) is based on is a great historical battle, it looks amazing.

Hoping Warner Bros releases this on HD DVD next year. I also love Frank Miller’s work.

Pete

Folsom

Re: 300
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2006, 06:16 pm »
I want to see that movie a lot! 03/06/07 ARG!

Cacophonix

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2006, 07:00 pm »
The wait sux!  :duh: :duh:
Clearly, the trailer is the best i've ever seen! Great soundtrack and the slo-mo actions sequences are quite dramatic!!  :thumb: :thumb:

nunhgrader

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2006, 04:03 am »
Wow - that looks awesome! :thumb:

chadh

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2006, 04:59 am »

Strange.  I just watched the trailer twice.  The first time, I had the volume on the laptop turned off.  I watched it and was amazed:  it was visually stunning.  Then I turned the volume up and watched it a second time, and the magic vanished.  I know that this is just a trailer, but it reminded me how many of the movies I see these days seem to launch such an overwhelming aural assault that I feel uncomfortable hearing all of the sounds they throw at me. 

Maybe I'm the one who is strange.

Chad

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2006, 06:10 am »
Chad I did the same thing... I thought something was wrong for awhile... The trailer's track is AWFUL.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2006, 07:19 am »
I'm stoked!  I've been fascinated by Thermopolyae since I was a kid.

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2006, 08:54 am »
Yeah but you also watch and enjoy just about anything :duh:

I found the monster that had it's hands cut off and replaced with blades to be maybe a little over the top...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2006, 09:44 am »
Hmmm...I doubt the Spartans had any monsters with them. :lol:

texasphile

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2006, 10:47 am »
Hello folks,

I just watched the trailer for 300.  I don't read comic books and therefore didn't know that X-Men was based on a comic book.  I also didn't know that Sin City was based on a graphic novel (ie a comic book by adults for adults).  Because of Sin City, I do know a little about Frank Miller.  Someone told me that V for Vendetta was also based on a graphic novel, I have no idea if that is true or not.  I did look up the director for 300, Zack Snyder.  He directed the 2004 version of Dawn of the Dead and has two upcoming movies that he is scheduled to helm, Watchmen, and Rainbow Six.  Rainbow Six is a team-based video game if I remember correctly, and I don't know anything about Watchmen.  I don't know how Dawn of the Dead was as a movie, as I do not attend nor watch horror genre films unless they are horror in the Gothic sense of the word.  I really don't like the hack and slash films.  Anyway, back to the trailer.  It looked to me like Gladiator meets Lord of the Rings (Oliphants with Rhino horns) with the Hunt for Red October's choral background music.  I doubt I'll go see it. 

I am looking forward to Ghost Rider who was really cool to me when he drove a chopper back in the early 1970s.  I have more than a sneaking suspicion that Ghost Rider will be a stinker.  It was supposed to be released in July or August of this year, 2006, during the lucrative Summer movie watching season.  Instead it is coming out in February 2007 of all times (Daredevil also came out in February and it was...not very good). 

Anyway, I hope that 300 is a better film than the trailer portrays it.  I remember the original trailer for the movie Aliens, it made the movie look like a bleaker version of Alien (a horror film in the truest sense of the word, instead of the horror/action movie that Aliens is).  It was pulled from all theaters after the first Friday to Sunday showing of the trailer and the prints were to be destroyed (normally the prints must be sent back to the distribution company (Fox, Paramount, Sony, Disney, etc).  I wished that I had kept it. 

The only trailer that I, or someone who looked like me, kept (shhhh!!! not necessarily completely legal, but I was just below the 18 year old mark at the time) was also one that was supposed to be destroyed, but, it didn't have to be returned to the distribution company, was for the original Tim Burton directed Batman.  I believe it was either the first or second trailer that was sent out to the movie theater chains.  It might have been the first one since I *think* that it was a "teaser" trailer (you know the type, "Michael Keaton...Jack Nicholson...Jack Palance...together in...BATMAN the Movie...Directed by Tim Burton"...then the Batman symbol is shown and the trailer ends).  The movie came out in 1989 (doesn't seem like it's been 17 years now) so I was 24, but don't tell anyone!

Movie companies are SO understanding about making a legal backup copy of a work that you purchased. Making a backup copy of a work that you own is not legal anymore if there is any encryption scheme that has to be bypassed to make the backup copy.  This is due to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act; now the United States has the most onerous copyright laws in the entire WORLD!! 

Sorry for the rant, I am a librarian at a university and I am in charge of the Media Department, and run into copyright problems at the beginning of every term.  There is the Fair Use doctrine that was developed by the Supreme Court of the US, but the DMCA "killed it real dead."  It is a headache that won't go away.  A person will likely get away with bypassing the CSS encryption scheme on DVDs or the Macrovision quasi-encryption scheme on VHS tapes, but a public university would be nailed quicker than lightning so that they can be make an "example" of what happens when you cross the film distribution companies.  You can thank Jack Valente and that shiny (no good two) faced Walt Di$ney company for the DMCA. 

Rant over, I feel better now.

Regards,
Chris

PhilNYC

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2006, 03:10 pm »
The wait sux!  :duh: :duh:
Clearly, the trailer is the best i've ever seen! Great soundtrack and the slo-mo actions sequences are quite dramatic!!  :thumb: :thumb:

The trailer looks amazing, but I hope the movie isn't too overwhelmed by all the slo-mo scenes...it's an easy way to get tired of beautiful special effects... :(

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2006, 07:23 pm »
That is one of the most visually arresting trailers I've ever seen.  I also watched it with the volume off and I think I'll keep it that way as it can only go downhill from here.  I hope it isn't an all style and no substance affair.  But if you want to tease someone, this is how you do it.  Good gawd.

navi

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2006, 12:47 pm »
I actually was very dissapointed with Sin City- It looked amazing but I thought the story was too compacted- too much going on- (it was a combination of a few Sin city stories that shouldn't be made into one movie) With 300 it's a good thing it's just one story- I'm just worried it's all style no substance.- Can't wait to see the "300" special features on DVD.

Ears

« Reply #13 on: 2 Aug 2007, 11:42 pm »
The Blu ray version looks very good with excellent sounding PCM audio.
I didn't have time to watch them, but in the extras there is a section on what is real and what is fantasy as far as the Spartans and 300 goes.

Whitese

« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2007, 03:06 am »
I just bought the regular DVD (DOuble DVD rather) and enjoyed it a lot....I love this movie!

dado5

« Reply #15 on: 17 Aug 2007, 01:12 pm »
Here is the only way to watch it:

http://www.rifftrax.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=80

King Leonidas in reference to his bowl of Trix:

"This i-Spart-of a complete breakfast!"

Whitese

« Reply #16 on: 17 Aug 2007, 05:18 pm »
lol...

navi

« Reply #17 on: 21 Aug 2007, 04:52 am »
I heard on the radio today, someone said something very funny about 300: "on a rating of 1 to 10 of the gay-ness of the movie...it's about 300" must be the short skirts and buff bodies.....