More pics of the Classic!

dogberry

« on: 2 Jul 2003, 10:25 pm »
They look cool!  Might be time to finally try some Norh speakers!

BradJudy

« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2003, 10:39 pm »
I've seen many Norh wood speakers for sale in the US with cracks.  I've always attributed it to the fact that SE Asia is very humid and much of the US is very dry.  The wood thus shrinks and cracks.  

When the Classic cabinets were in storage for three years, was it climate controlled?  The wood Norhs have always been interesting, but not really worth the risk for dry climates.

Johng316

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2003, 11:11 pm »
I've had my wood nOrh 4.0 drums and a wood 4.1 center (rear center) for 2 yeras.  No cracks... no problems.  I think the cracking issue was an early production problem that has since been worked out with better drying processes.  I have not had even a hint of problem with mine.  They are incredibly beautiful and they sound wonderful.  I couldn't be happier (unless they were marble).

John G

nathanm

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2003, 04:38 am »
Michael - Are there dual binding posts on the Classic drum?  Also, what are the dimensions of the hole and recess for the drivers?  I am entertaining the idea of using the Vifas I bought for my ill-fated Prism 6.6 replacement with the big wood drum.  I suppose, with the wood it would be pretty easy to add posts or enlarge the hole if necessary.

Thanks!

Alex

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2003, 04:51 am »
I have a pair of the very first batch of the 3.0 Prism. No problem at all. In sunny, dry southern Cal.

Also have 4.0 ceramic, and 6.9sm. and other nOrh gears.

Love them.

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2003, 06:12 pm »
Quote from: BradJudy
I've seen many Norh wood speakers for sale in the US with cracks.  I've always attributed it to the fact that SE Asia is very humid and much of the US is very dry.  The wood thus shrinks and cracks.  

When the Classic cabinets were in storage for three years, was it climate controlled?  The wood Norhs have always been interesting, but not really worth the risk for dry climates.

mbarnes agrees with your assesment about climate in his newsletter. But I belive the cracking has been greatly reduced since they started kiln drying the drums.

"Three years ago, I decided that we would build a run of wood loudspeakers and we would let them sit. We baked them twice. That means they have spent one month in an oven. After that, our plan was to let them to sit for three years in a climate controlled environment, which would season the cabinet quite well - in fact, the longer the better."

I have some of the original Wood 9.0 drums. They have small cracks in them which have been repaired by the original owner.

Also they REPLACE cracked drumss.

BradJudy - I think you should aplogize for saying "The wood Norhs have always been interesting, but not really worth the risk for dry climates." You post as if you know what you are talking about...but it seems that you do not.

HarleyMYK

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2003, 06:20 pm »
I live in a pretty dry more or less desert climate (it will be well over 100 outside today) and I have had no problems with my wood drum 3.0's getting even hairline cracks.  Dust - now that is my problem.

BradJudy

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2003, 11:06 pm »
BradJudy - I think you should aplogize for saying "The wood Norhs have always been interesting, but not really worth the risk for dry climates." You post as if you know what you are talking about...but it seems that you do not.

Actually the fact that I don't know what might happens is what largely creates risk.  I will say that I should have added that they haven't been worth the risk 'for me', but they represent a risk because I don't know that they have been in climate controlled storage.  The update merely said they planned to store them, but it also says they forgot about them.  That's why I asked the question.  If the question is answered that the conditioning addresses climate difference, then the risk is mitigated and my statement no longer stands.  [/b]