What recent LP's have you scored new/used?

Wayner

What recent LP's have you scored new/used?
« on: 9 Dec 2006, 08:47 pm »
I just picked up Journey's 2 great albums at a local antique store for $20. They are half speed masters on CBS and have never been played. The albums are Escape and Departure.

I wonder what other people are finding in some of these obscure shops?

Wayner

WEEZ

Re: What recent LP's have you scored new/used?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2006, 09:20 pm »
Michael Bloomfield, "If You Love These Blues, Play 'em As You Please"; Guitar Player Records, 1976.

Better than average condition, but cost me $8 bucks.  :|

WEEZ

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2006, 12:01 am »
Oh yeah, and the week before last, I found David Clayton-Thomas, "David Clayton-Thomas"; Columbia Records, 1972. Also $8 bucks- but in pristine condition. And two days ago, I picked up Bruce Hornsby and the Range, "the way it is"; RCA Records, 1986. (also in pristine condition for $.69 cents.. :o)

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2006, 02:49 am »
Recently I met someone whose brother-in-law willed him several hundred records. BUT this guy collected EASY LISTENING! Like 60+ Percy Faith, a bunch of Ray Conniff, Enoch Light, etc. etc. etc. We were talking about the collection and he was nice enough to give me a few. The covers, while never in jackets, are in unbelievable condition with little or no ring wear. The labels of the four or five I've seen are "Red Label" Columbia, etc. like the original issues. He had them in some type of plastic bag innersleeve shaped like the record at the closed end.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Percy Faith's Delicado because we had it when I was a kid, so I now own a pristine copy!

Anybody for the Baja Marimba Band doing Born Free???? Percy Faith's JC Superstar?

biz

daveshel

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2006, 04:02 pm »
Yesterday I bought the new Wille Nelson album Songbird. It is a 180 gram pressing with Ryan Adams and the Cardinals backing Willie. Produced by Adams. Listening now, it sounds great.
Also Modern Times from Bob Dylan, also new 180 gram. Haven't played it yet.

S Clark

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2006, 06:45 pm »
I just cherry picked my older bros. vinyl collections.  First up is the Sheffield Lab Lincoln Mayorga Vol.III direct to disc, produced by Doug Sax (has he ever produced anything that wasn't audiophile? This guy is amazing)  Excellent imaging and detail.  You just close your eyes and "see" the musicians.   :green:
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2006, 07:34 pm by S Clark »

blakep

« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2006, 11:39 pm »
I'm kind of buying (mainly at the thrift) all the time, but in the past few months the highlights have been: New: Speaker's Corner reissues of Oliver Nelson's Blues and the Abstract Truth and Ben Webster's Soulville, an OJC of Gene Ammons Boss Tenor, used copies of Led Zeppelin I and II at the dealer for $10 each and a really nice original 6 eye of Billie Holiday's Lady in Satin at a record show for $10. Used highlights at the thrift have been: for $1, copies of Donald Fagen's Nightfly and a 1952 6 Eye of Duke Ellington's Ellington Uptown and for 50 cents each, mint copies of The Band's Last Waltz (3 record set for 50 cents!!), the Best of Jimmy Smith on Verve, Oscar Peterson's Plays the George Gershwin Songbook (japanese pressing on Verve) and Oscar Peterson's "Hello Herbie" with Herb Ellis and Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers Live in Stockholm 1960.  I love those mint 50 cent records.

lazydays

« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2006, 05:16 pm »
*Kieth Jarrett's "Standards In Norway" vol.2 (still looking for vol.1)
*Bessie Smith " Nobody's Blues But Mine"
*A couple Toscanini boxed sets
*a virgin (unplayed) Cannon Ball Aderly "Something Else"
gary

Listens2tubes

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2006, 12:37 pm »
I went to the Greater New Jersey Record Show this weekend and picked up these:

Sonny Rollins-2LP Blue Note
Mingus Ah Um-Charles Mingus Classic 180Gram Columbia 6-Eye
Lester Young Giant of Jazz
The Great Buddy Tate-Concord Jazz
Jimmy & Wes The Dynamic Duo- Jimmy Smith and Wes Mongomery-Verve
Any Number Can Win- Jimmy Smith Verve

Check out http://www.izzymusic.com/record_shows.htm for show scheduling.

SOM

« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2006, 05:05 pm »
Used - Spirit, 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus
Used - Fat Matress
Used - Jon Anderson, Three Ships (just in time for Christmas!)
New - The Wizards From Kansas

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 26 Dec 2006, 08:06 pm »
The wife gave me Yes-Fragile re-issue by Analogue Productions....excellent! Also, Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris-All the Roadrunning, which is very good (Noneshuch records).

Just picked up Peter Gabriel-Plays Live (Geffen) double album in mint condition for $12. I haven't even heard a pop yet but I'm just finishing side one. So far, so good!

W

TONEPUB

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2007, 06:04 am »
Got the two Peanut Butter Conspiracy albums from
SoundStage Direct along with the first Sweetwater
album.

Really trippy!!

lazydays

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2007, 07:12 pm »
several Toscanini LP's in mint condition for a dollar a piece!!! I also (finally after a five year search) found a mint copy of Kieth Jarrett's Standards Vol. 1 for $5.
gary