How can I sample computer audio on small funds?

Rob S.

How can I sample computer audio on small funds?
« on: 7 Dec 2006, 08:17 pm »
Hi,
    I've been wading through all this digital computer/music server/ SB2/SB3 stuff and am totally lost.  I'd like to have the convenience of my entire CD library at my fingertips but still want to uphold a high end sound.   I'll only ditch my cdp as source if the digital media/ DAC can keep everything musical.  I don't want to lose any info from the CD, so I want to convert it by Lossless, right?  What pieces of equipment do I need to get including software that'll get me started?  whatever digital source I use I HOPE to feed into my AVA Ultra DAC and then into the system. 

All of my audio gear is in a dedicated closet (under the stairs) and I have one remote control going into a Niles RC extender  on my mantel in my living room which feeds the signal to all of my equipment in the closet.   I would love to be able to access a laptop or SB3 and be able to control my music library.

Associated equipment:
Magnepan speakers X 5
Odyssey mono extremes SE
Odyssey Candela tube preamp
Arcam AVR300 receiver/ processor
Cambridge Audio D540 DVD/ cd player
AVA Ultra DAC
2 dedicated power lines, and power conditioner.
basic cable box and budget type cabling and power cords

Any help to get me started would be appreciated.  Especially if it is a few hundred bucks or less.
Thanks,

Rob S.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: How can I sample computer audio on small funds?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2006, 08:25 pm »
Do you already have a PC with enough storage to store your CDs?  If so, SB2/3 would be yours best bet.  If not, Olive or Cambridge music server may be the best route. 

ZLS

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2006, 09:01 pm »
I agree with woodsyi.  I would add does your PC have the capacity to rip a CD to your HD.  There are free programs that would give you the ability to save lossless compressed files.  If you already posses the ability to rip and store, go with the SB 2 or 3.  If not, a whole 'nother ballgame.

pardales

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2006, 09:57 pm »
If you can find a Waveterminal U24 ($150), and you already have a computer and a stereo, this device can do the D/A conversion and accept the USB out from the computer. All you need then is a pair of interconnects to connect to your preamp. If not, what others suggest is good.

You can find USB/SPDIF converters for as little as $50 buck, but these don't have built in DAC's. So, you would still need something for D/A conversion. Good threads about this on Audiogon as well, in the PC Audio forum.

totoro

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2006, 12:54 am »
I can recommend the squeezebox very highly. I've had mine for about 6 months, and love it. To give you an idea of the type of system I have, it's sb3->mccormack dna .5 -> audio physic tempo 4.

The squeezebox replaced a creek cd-53, which had been an $1800 cd player. I also ditched my preamp, and haven't noticed any problem with sonic degradation using the sb3 volume control (it's supposed to be ok as long as you keep the level above 40).

Don't listen to anyone tell you it needs to be modified, etc, until you've heard it and made your own judgement ;)

Even if you have to get an external hard drive, the whole thing should be less than $500.

LightFire

« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2006, 02:14 am »
It looks like the best solution for you is something like Roku or Squeeze Box. I have Roku. It grabs the digital signal from my computer (wireless but it can be connected trough a network cable as well, if you don't have a wireless router). It uses a server program running in the computer called Firefly (free download from their web site). It also works with some commom media players like Windows Media Player and iTunes 6 (not 7). It re-transmit the signal to your system trough optical cable or digital coax.

You also could use a laptop or a mac mini to connect direct to your system. Just make sure they have digital outputs (the mac mini has it).

Once you don't want to loose "quality" (whatever it is audible or not). You should consider lossless compression (FLAC, Apple Lossless, WMA lossless, etc. It depends on your system).

For more information on digital music check this web site:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org

NewBuyer

Another nice option to consider...
« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2006, 03:27 am »
Forum member Bwanagreg uses a PC-based music server, and to quote, uses "APE lossless files, J River, and ASIO USB driver, a HagUSB, and Net Remote to allow PDA remote control of my digital music library."

Seems like another really great option to me. :D

Rob S.

« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2006, 03:40 am »
Ok, so what size HD do I need to hold roughly 1000 cd's,  And I'm running Windows XP, so which lossless transfer relates to windows?   Anybody know what that HD would cost.   I have about a 1yr old Compaq computer that can be dedicated to audio only.   But is it necessary to use it only for the HD retrieval?  Could I earmark it for a "family room" use also?

So is this ok to start:

SB3   $299
Improved HD for existing CPU. ______????
some CD ripping software, go the free route or other software________???

Have a good DAC to send it on to the audio chain.

Rob S.

LightFire

« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2006, 04:41 am »
It is hard to know the exact size of 1000 Cd's (without more details). However we can try an educated guess:

One CD can hold up to 700 Mbyte for the full 80 minutes. However many Cd's contain less than that. For example: Beatles Cd's from the 60s usually are 30 minutes long. The Cd is less than a half full.

Lossless compression can reduce the size of your collection, usually, between 50 (mono recordings)  and 10%. This number varies from song to song. Let's assume an average number of 75%: 75% of 700 Mbyte is 525 Mbytes.

Worse case scenario you would need 525 Mbytes x 1000 = 525 Gbytes. However you are not likely to have 1000 80 minutes Cd's. So 500 Gbytes should be more than enough for your collection.

The best value per dollar today are 250 Gbytes internal HD (less than US$ 100.00 here in Toronto). But external USB HD are more easily manageable and more can be added later trough USB if necessary.

totoro

« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2006, 04:41 am »
Ok, so what size HD do I need to hold roughly 1000 cd's,  And I'm running Windows XP, so which lossless transfer relates to windows?   Anybody know what that HD would cost.   I have about a 1yr old Compaq computer that can be dedicated to audio only.   But is it necessary to use it only for the HD retrieval?  Could I earmark it for a "family room" use also?

So is this ok to start:

SB3   $299
Improved HD for existing CPU. ______????
some CD ripping software, go the free route or other software________???

Have a good DAC to send it on to the audio chain.

Rob S.

I have 450 cds on an external hd taking 130g.  They're all in apple lossless, with album art. You should get a similar size if you do flac. I got a western digital mybook 500g for 190 from amazon. I'm sure you can find something similar.

As far as burning goes, I'd use either EAC or itunes. Itunes has the advantage of also having a nice means of managing the software. If you're the compulsive audiophile type who is terribly concerned that you'll miss a bit, then EAC is definitely the way to go, but it's also the way to go if you just prefer flac. Then you'd probably want to use foobar2000 or monkeys media to manage the library. If you decide to use apple lossless, you can transcode back to flac at any time (that's the whole point of lossless: _no loss of information_, which means all lossless encodings are equivalent: if someone tells you otherwise, they are misinformed).

So the software is free. As I said above, the whole thing should be under $500. Hope this was helpful.

« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2006, 04:55 am by totoro »

LightFire

« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2006, 04:56 am »
Software related:

I use Windows XP home edition, with iTunes (free, for ripping and managing), Firefly server (also free, used to transmit from my computer trough a wireless router to Roku). Firefly uses iTunes play lists to help you choose what music to play once you are in front of your system (away from computer) with the remote control. Roku delivers the digital signal (no degradation) to my system's digital input.

If you decide to buy the Squeeze Box they have their own server program to work with their product.

EAC has the potential to allow perfect rips in almost all cases but is not so easy to use. You have to be willing to spend some time learning it. The same goes for foobar2000 which is a player and format converter among other things.

I'm sorry if I am being repetitive but, again, the best place to learn about digital music, CD ripping, file compressing, etc. is this:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org

ashok

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2006, 05:57 pm »
The ROKU M1001 is on sale at $149.99 at http://www.rokulabs.com/ . Enter the code TUNESNOW in the shopping cart.

No affiliation with ROKU, etc. etc., only a public service message.

Ashok

Rob S.

« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2006, 03:45 am »
Guys,  many thanks so far.

So is it possible to hook my laptop directly w/ USB cable straight to an External HD in my audio closet in the adjacent room?? 

Or is there a good wireless way to go ( laptop to External HD )  ?   How does my laptop screen music display differ from say a small SB3 display.   Looking to keep my listening room as uncluttered as possible for WAF, and less gadgets to be broken by my small kids.

Guess I need to get my hands on a SB3 to see what it really does.

Rob S.

LightFire

« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2006, 05:29 am »
Guys,  many thanks so far.

So is it possible to hook my laptop directly w/ USB cable straight to an External HD in my audio closet in the adjacent room?? 

Or is there a good wireless way to go ( laptop to External HD )  ?   How does my laptop screen music display differ from say a small SB3 display.   Looking to keep my listening room as uncluttered as possible for WAF, and less gadgets to be broken by my small kids.

Guess I need to get my hands on a SB3 to see what it really does.

Rob S.

Possible scenarios:

1) Laptop (or desktop) is in the adjacent room connected to the USB external hd (in the same room) and than connected trough the network (cable or wireless) to your SB in the listening room. It is probably the best choice.

2) Laptop is in the listening room (no need for SB), connected trough USB to an external HD in the adjacent room. It is possible but not recommended. I don't know how long an USB cable can go without power losses making transmition problematic. You need to make sure the audio output of the laptop is digital, otherwise you will have to rely on your computer's DAC instead of your high end DAC.

3) Laptop is in the listening room (no need for SB), connected trough the network (cable or wireless) to an external HD in the adjacent room which is connected trough USB to another computer . It is possible. Again, you need to make sure the audio output of the laptop is digital, otherwise you will have to rely on your computer's DAC instead of your high end DAC.

Roku's soundbridge comes with a 2 line bright gas display easy to see from a distance, commanded trough a remote control. It can reach iTunes play list and and artists/albums index alphabetically. It is easy to browse but not easy to edit. To create a play list it is better to do so at the computer's keyboard. SB's display is similar to Roku's. Check the pictures from their web sites:

http://www.rokulabs.com/

http://www.slimdevices.com/

Rob S.

« Reply #14 on: 12 Dec 2006, 05:04 pm »
Lightfire:
     My laptop has 2 USB ports,   Could one go to external HD and the other to Van alstine's recommended ADS "instant music" (  http://www.usb-ware.com/ads-instant-music.htm )     as a pass through and convert to digital output,  then digital cable will go through the wall to AVA's Ultra DAC and on to my stereo....????

$40 in ADS USB to Dig out
$35  12ft digital cable ( www.bluejeanscable.com  )
$____  What software to use to give me a laptop display screen

Next up is likely a squeezebox or Roku,  but will the above items get me started?

Rob S.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2006, 07:46 pm »
Rob,

You just need a way to convert USB to SPDIF and you can use the laptop and Foobar/Asio/SSRC to play music off the laptop.  EA Offramp and Freeway are probably too expensive but you can build a HagUsb for under $50.  I think the assembled price is $125.  Good luck.  There is always Squeezebox for $300.

BTW, I don't think the ADS unit will do what you want.