Question.....dont flame please

fj6474

Question.....dont flame please
« on: 6 Dec 2006, 02:19 am »
Hello I am new here. I have a question if anyone can please help with me. I keep hearing about these Van Alstine amps but by the look of the specs the do not appear to be that much better than other amps. If anyone can please help understand the hype, please help. I have a Kenwood M2a now and those specs on that amplifier are great. I am currently upgrading all my ht components, I have 4 Cerwin Vega DX9s and a pair of B&W 580s for a front stage, my question is that I was thinking about running 1, or 2 of these Van Alstine Amps due to their credibility and not there specs. I would love some advice on what amps I should run to drive these six speakers. I need alot of power and headroom, my last setup I had a constant 123 db at the listening position. Thank you for all your time, please again do not flame me for my ignorance on these amps.

Zheeeem

Re: Question.....dont flame please
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2006, 03:48 am »
I have 4 Cerwin Vega DX9s and a pair of B&W 580s for a front stage, my question is that I was thinking about running 1, or 2 of these Van Alstine Amps due to their credibility and not there specs. I would love some advice on what amps I should run to drive these six speakers. I need alot of power and headroom, my last setup I had a constant 123 db at the listening position. Thank you for all your time, please again do not flame me for my ignorance on these amps.

Ouch.

Please don't take this as a flame, but just how long do you think you can expose yourself to 123 dB before going deaf?

Now to your point.  The short answer is that specs are meaningless.  A slightly longer answer is that specs came out a few decades ago in the (misguided) hope that consumers would have a ready way to compare at least one factor related to amp quality.  But the test itself - distortion into an 8 ohm resistor - became the goal rather than sound quality into real loads (no speaker is 8 ohms across the audio spectrum and some dip to 2 or less in spots.  they can also be capacitative, sometimes highly).  So the short answer is that a $200 Japanese receiver might distort less than one of Frank's amps when driving an 8 ohm resistor (though the fraction of a percent difference is, all other things being equal, meaningless).  However, Frank's amps sound way better when driving speakers.

fj6474

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2006, 06:44 am »
Thank you for your input, I do not listen to my setup at 123 db unless I am simply showing off, I had to run some 10/2 wire to circuit breaker to get better current, but anyhow. I really just wanted to know if they had the headroom that I need without much distortion to drive my front stage. I am not a newbie to home audio, I am just a newbie to being an audiophile, I really want to impress now with the quality of my setup, I built my own subwoofers as I have an old car audio amp I used to run driving them with a a 100 amp power supply on that end I just really need a cleaner front stage, now the question at hand is I had 4 4 ohm DX9s(yes I know when a driver resonates the resistance changes) and 2 B&W 580s what Van Alstine amp or Amps should be best to drive these 6 speakers, money is and issue, but I will arrange the funds to buy what is needed. I was thinking I could put 2 DX9s in series at 8ohms and get a strong two channel for that as well as another for the B&Ws, any advice?

cdorval1

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2006, 07:13 am »
I assume you will be taking six channels of output from your home-theatre preamp, and are looking for six channels of power amps?

The most cost-effective choice would be two OmegaStar 240/3 amps.  They have lots of power and are very well built.  Most important, you'll notice a significant improvement in the sound of your system.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to run two of your speakers in series with any amp.  But if you opt for a four-channel setup you could use two Omega 240 amps, and save a bit more money.

The best thing might be just to give AVA a call.  Frank will be very helpful, and will give you straightforward advice about your setup.

Enjoy!

Craig Dorval

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2006, 11:06 am »

It sounds like you are using two CV's for the left channel and 2 for the right and 2 B&W for the center???

I just really need a cleaner front stage
Try using one speaker for the left and one speaker for the right.

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2006, 02:11 pm »
Give me a call at 651-330-9871.  From your question I do not understand how many speaker channels you wish to run from one amplifier.  I am sure we can come up with an excellent solution for you.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

fj6474

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2006, 09:31 pm »
Yes 2 CVs for left, 2 CVs for right, and B&w for center, I do not wish to use one amp for everything. I just want to drive each as they are required, I will call very soon. Thank you again for all you help.