Heathkit restored, any good?

sjh500

Heathkit restored, any good?
« on: 4 Dec 2006, 10:11 pm »
I have read good things about the Eico integrated that Sam Kim of Canada restored for Stereophile so I called his shop and spoke to his rep who informed me that their modded fully rebuilt Heathkit 151 is the way to go. I have Reference 3a De Capo speakers so it would have plenty of juice at 14watts. The guy at Sam Kim audio Labs says that this will compete with the likes of Audio Note amps. Wondering if anybody has had any dealings with Sam Kim and what they thought of the equipment. I will be coming from a Cayin TA-30, I want more resolution and tight bass but I want to keep the musicality and excellent midrange of the Cayin. My source is an Audio Note cd 3.1x, I have heard that the Audio Note integrateds are musical but a little soft. Thanks, Sean

slev

Re: Heathkit restored, any good?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2006, 11:43 pm »
I currently have a Scott 222 (A), and I should have a Sam Kim modified AA151 on its way by end of the week.  I have owned a Bizzy Bee TA30 before, and I prefer the sound of my Scott (with excellent tubes:  Mullard, etc.).  I am anxious about the improvement I will find with the modified AA151.  The bass coming from the EL84 tubes is great with my Triangle Altea ESWs.  For the cost of the modified amp and the way Steve has described the amp, it needs to walk on water for me to justify the difference between my $400 Scott and the reworked Heathkit.  More to come after I get the amp.  I also am trusting the writing of Peter B. from Stereophile and the sadly defunct Listener magazine.  When he is impressed with a component, (like the Eico HF81 refurbished by Sam) I am inclined to listen.

Steve has promised me that this amp will take me to another level of sonic bliss - I hope so.  Other amps I have owned a liked, for comparison, Audio Note P2SE, Cary 300B mono, SEX kit amps, ASL Tulip, Naim, Audio Note 300B Kit, Eagle 2A, Exposure integrated, Redgum Integrated, Music Reference RM9 Mk 1 and 2, Transcendent Sound Single Ended, Decware, Almarro, and a few others.

So far, I like the Scott 222 better (with the Triangle speakers) than all of the amps listed above in terms of getting into the music and all that is implied by that.

I'll post initial impressions as soon as it (the AA151) comes in...

sjh500

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2006, 02:05 am »
The aa151 is the Heathkit 151? Sorry for my ignorance! If this is the case please let me know what you think when you get it as the Heathkit 151 is the one I am interested in from Sam Kim.

slev

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2006, 02:59 am »
Yes, that's the one.  I'll let you know if it's as good as I hope...

sjh500

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2006, 03:47 am »
Great! Please do, if it is as good as they are touting, I think I will be in sonic bliss also. For 2000$ and a vintage piece, it better be incredible!

sjh500

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2006, 04:53 pm »
Slev, did you get the Heathkit yet?

ZLS

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2006, 07:40 pm »
I have had experience with Sam Kim's Amps. 
    I had the Heath 151 which was modified to run 7 watts pure triode.  The price is not cheap but the work and craftsmanship is impeccable.  I have had an unmodified Fisher Intergrated Amp, an unmodified Scott Intergrated Amp, a modified Heath 151 Intergrated Amp, and Sam Kim's rebuilt 151 was far and away superior to them all.  The quality of construction, the appearance and most of all the sound is just terrific.  In fact, I traded in the 151 to get a Harmon Kardon Citation II for more power. 
    What is the sound of the 151?  It is the sound of the EL84/6BQ5 tube; no more no less.  Given the right ancillary equipment, the sound will cut your heart in half. 
    Mr. Kim is a Master Artisan; I firmly believe you will be very pleased with your Amp, and will feel it was money well spent.

sjh500

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2006, 09:19 pm »
ZLS, my only experience with tube amps has been a modern day version. I have the Cayin ta-30(30 push pull el34) it is integrated, for the price of this amp it is outstanding, I have compared it to am Audiomat Arpege and the Audiomat was superior in all aspects. Have you heard either of these, I am trying to find out how the Heathkit will perform against modern day tube amps, I really have never heard vintage gear let alone a completely modded and rebuilt one.

Rafal

• Artwork by Rafal Gwozdz
« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2006, 03:53 pm »
Can you guys inform me of the address of Sam Kim?
I am looking for a nice amp myself.

Cheers,

Rafal

sjh500

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2006, 04:19 pm »
samsaudiolabs.com

ZLS

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2006, 04:22 pm »
                                       Sam's Audio Lab
                                       5621 Westminster Ave.
                                       Cote St. Luc. Quebec
                                       Canada H4W2J3

Phone: 514-485-3587
                                       www@videotron.ca

slev

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2007, 02:44 am »
It has finally arrived...and I have had enough nights with it to give my impressions.   I have to agree with the above post regarding the AA-151.  If you have been considering this modified amp, the only two things to hold you back are insensitive speakers (and or very large rooms) and the retro styling of the 151.  That's it.  This amp plays music.  Tunes, tight impactful bass, shimmering highs, and a correctness to the human vocal range that just nails the balance between detail and liquidity.  It brings music together as a whole.

Sam also designs these amps to run cool, which means the tubes will last much longer and give you a more reliable amp.  I only have my CD collection on harddrive, so I can't comment on the phono section.

Aside from a very slight lack of power when I want to play things stupid loud with my 91 db/watt Triangle ESW, I have found an amp that will keep me happy without looking around for something "better".   :icon_surprised:At this point, I think I would only find different...  My only temptation will be to get back with some Altec A7 speakers or a few options from Klipsch.

jrebman

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2007, 07:03 pm »
All very nice and encouraging to hear.  Thanks to ZLS's lead in an email exchange we had months ago, I finally broke down and bought a Scott 222C that I plan to have sent to Sam's for a complete overhaul sometime in the next month or so.

I had a nice long conversation with Steve at Sam's and we went through all the various thing Sam does to the amps, and it sounds like this is what I've been wanting.  There are other Scott refurbishers and modders out there but I don't believe any of them go to the lengths that Sam does when he restores a piece of gear, but keeps the functionality of the whole.  Unlike, for example the Mapleshade mods which basically gut the amp and leave nothing but the input selector and volume control functional -- sorry, too radical a mod for my tastes and needs, regardless of what it sounds like.

So, thanks for all the encouraging words about Sam's work -- it's not cheap, so it's really great to know so many folks are saying the same kinds of things.

-- Jim