VPI Scoutmaster/Dynavector 20X

rblnr

VPI Scoutmaster/Dynavector 20X
« on: 3 Dec 2006, 04:57 am »
Any reason not to go w/this combo for the money?

If so, why/what then?

Thanks.

Songforyou

Re: VPI Scoutmaster/Dynavector 20X
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2006, 01:56 pm »
I have a Dynavector 20XH on a regular Scout and the combination works very well for me.  Good value for the money, I think.

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2006, 04:00 pm »
An excellent set-up.  If your phono preamp does not have MC (moving coil settings) you should opt for the 20XHO (high output) version of the Dyna.  Enjoy.

NB

rblnr

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2006, 06:44 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I'll be using it w/the phono stage built-in to my VTL 5.5 preamp, it's switchable MM/MC. 

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2006, 09:44 pm »
It should be a nice set-up. I do wonder about the extra do-ray-me for the Scoutmaster over the Scout as there is almost a $900 dollar difference (depending on options) and both recieved a "B" rating from Stereopile. Hey, If you got the coin, go for it. I would like to get the Aries 3 Black Night but at almost 5K less cartridge, I will be listening to my HW-19 for a while.

W

rblnr

« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2006, 11:41 pm »
It looks like you get a lot heavier and better-damped construction w/the Scoutmaster, FWIW from a sound quality/isolation standpoint.

WEEZ

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2006, 01:56 am »
I had the opportunity to compare my old HW-19 JR+ against a Scout. I kept the 19. Never heard a Scoutmaster. When my 19 died; and VPI quit supporting it....I sold it and bought a SOTA. You can start with a Jewel; and upgrade all the way to a Cosmos if you want to.

The HW-19 series and the SOTA's sound more alike; i.e.; 'big' and 'full'. The Scout sounded more like a Rega; i.e.; 'light and lively'. Again, never heard a Scoutmaster.

FWIW...

WEEZ

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2006, 02:11 am »
btw; the 20X is a great cart. (only used the XH, though)...

mtodde

« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2006, 04:12 am »
It's a nice combo and one that VPI likes a lot...that being said I've been very happy with my Scout/Shelter 501 combo and think it is more musical.

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2006, 04:34 am »
I have the 20XH, its great....cant say I've compared a lot but I have a couple other lower end carts, this was definitely where vinyl started to shine.

rblnr

« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2006, 08:19 am »
this was definitely where vinyl started to shine.

This is exactly the value point I'm looking for.

Any thoughts on the pros/cons of getting the high output version?

rblnr

« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2006, 04:14 am »
Looks like the Dynavector is a great way to go.  Thanks for the links.