Rotated LRC ?

jethro

Rotated LRC ?
« on: 1 Jul 2003, 07:47 pm »
Big B.,

I was thinking a new model based on the LRC, modified for vertical positioning might fill a deficiency (for my purposes) in the VMPS product line-up. I feel there is a deficiency in the lineup, because I don't think there are any front ported, ribbon based, stand-mounted, direct radiators in the VMPS lineup (hopefully I didn't miss any models). All of my current speakers are front ported because I currently have to place my speakers close to walls. If I were to switch to VMPS speakers for my HT, I envision having RM-40's for the fronts, LRC center, and for the surrounds ? I can't really position a pair of 626R's the minimum 4" from the wall for the surrounds.

Development costs, and technical issues aside, I was thinking a vertical oriented version of the LRC, would have a bit more base extension that the 626R, and would have a bit more flexibility in placement. It would belike a mini-RM-40 without the passive radiator.

I think it would also be beneficial for people like me, who think they want VMPS speakers, but can't listen to them before purchasing.  It's really the RM-40's that attracted me to VMPS, however that's a lot of money to "risk". By "risk", I mean that undoubtedly the RM-40's are good speakers, however they might not appeal to me. This is exactly what I found with listening to the bigger JMLabs speakers - they just didn't appeal to me for some reason. VMPS 30 day return policy is supposed to cover this situation. However, I live a long way away, and I would still be a lot of money out in shipping charges, if I jump into the VMPS line-up with the RM-40's, and found I didn't like them.  Ideally I would like to start with a less expensive model, that can still have a purpose in my HT as a surround speaker, or as a speaker for a bedroom system. I can then evaluate it against my current speakers and decide if I like the VMPS ribbons. If I like the less expensive model then I can move up the line.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents worth.

flintstone

Rotated LRC ?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2003, 09:41 pm »
I think LCR, stands for: Left/Center/Right. Have them set up that way when you order them.

pjchappy

It's LRC, NOT LCR
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2003, 09:43 pm »
It stands for Large Ribbon Center. . .

If you go to the VMPS site, you can see that the mid cannot be rotated w/o enlarging the cabinet.  

p

flintstone

Rotated LRC ?
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2003, 10:00 pm »
pjchappy thanks, I just checked it out and you are correct. I had never looked at this model before.

jethro

Confusing the Issue
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2003, 11:12 pm »
Sorry I've added to the confusion by mispelling LRC.  I realize that rotating the ribbon, and increasing the length of the cabinet would be required at a minimum. This would have to be a new model and I know this isn't cheap. I also wanted to give the perspective of one potential VMPS buyer who is located at the other side of the continent.

Sedona Sky Sound

Rotated LRC ?
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2003, 04:49 am »
Hello Jethro,
Have you thought about the RM1s? It seems to fit your description of your "optimal" center speaker pretty well. The hight dimentions is basically the same as what you would get if you turned the Neo panel on the LRC. Since it is front slot loaded it can be positioned a little closer to the wall than a rear ported 626R (more distance would still be better however). Price for one RM1 would be about the same (or maybe even cheaper) than a LRC. Three RM1s would make a pretty decent "starter HT system" for your front (and would likely be killer for music with a Trinaural added).

When you are ready to step up to the RM40, the transition should be pretty smooth. In the past, I have used floorstanding speakers on stands for my rear channel with pretty good effect. The trick there is to use a heavy-duty stand filled with sand and then put a few pennies under the back corners to tilt them down a little.      

Julian
www.sedonaskysound.com

jethro

Rotated LRC ?
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jul 2003, 10:55 am »
Julian,

I like the idea of surrounds that are almost full-range, but I thought the RM-1and RM-2 had to be floor mounted because of their passive-radiator ?

I agree that a "vertical" LRC would be about the same height as an RM-1, however, it would probably be a bit lighter (guessing 75 lbs), a bit narrower, and probably the same price or more.

All,

I have also been thinking that hanging surrounds on suspended platforms using aircraft cable might give me enough clearance for a rear-ported surround. Has anybody tried this ?

Thanks.