Phono loading report

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
Re: Phono loading report
« Reply #20 on: 18 Dec 2006, 01:26 pm »
That sounds interesting. How would gain & load options be set? Soldered slot or switchable via selector?

andrew

« Reply #21 on: 18 Dec 2006, 07:32 pm »
Like it Jim, I guess this would be Bugle priced, in which case I would go for it, just so I could have both TX and solid state steop ups.

Perhaps two 9v PP3 cells would give more voltage and be a very cost effective DC supply?

cheers,

-- Andrew

analog97

« Reply #22 on: 18 Dec 2006, 08:41 pm »
I'll take one as well.  Probably w/o a case?  Just a board.   I would like better RCA's than a standard Bugle.  The engineer has to  decide what power supply to use, wall-wart vs batteries.  I'll take his judgement most any day!!

hagtech

« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2006, 03:01 am »
This will probably end up being two machines.  One, a headamp kit.  The other, I was thinking about a "gold" version of the BUGLE PRO.  Although, if I go with this JFET direction, maybe I should call it something else completely.  I had been thinking of using the same 19" rack approach used in the FRYKLEANER GOLD (still in prototype stage). 

A BUGLE GOLD would likely sell for about $500 or $600.  Lots of features.

jh

andrew

« Reply #24 on: 9 Dec 2007, 10:16 pm »
Hey Jim,

Been busy for a while, loose touch and look what happens...it looks like the project turned into a product, wow! Good for you! And a popular one to boot, it seems....

A friend of mine has said he's even ordered one. So I'm hoping I'll be able to visit and have a listen.

I'm still fighting for a solution to this problem so I'm hoping he invite me around...did you ever try loading the primaries.....

all the best,

-- Andrew

tubesforever

« Reply #25 on: 10 Dec 2007, 08:33 pm »
ScottRT built a really cool CineMag with 6 loading options available on the fly.  The interesting thing is as you improve the high end by loading closer to the coil resistance you begin to loose bass slam and overall bass detail. 

If you load it too high the bass is accentuated and the mids and highs suffer.

I plan to build an on the fly loading option for my CineMag SUT which I hope to get finished by the new year.

Thanks for the great information.

analog97

« Reply #26 on: 10 Dec 2007, 10:46 pm »
ScottRT built a really cool CineMag with 6 loading options available on the fly.

This feature is really important to me.  I learned a lot about loading differences and sound effect from doing this on my PICCOLO. Being able to quickly switch permits an easy A/B comparison.  Taking something apart, soldering in different resistors and then listening a few hours later really makes it damn near impossible.  A short time is more important than the resistor change. Loading differences is now, for me, an essential feature for a good pre-pre amp.