Need some advice on restoring and selling some vintage gear

jrebman

I was hoping some of the more experienced folks here could help me figure out how to best go about restoring some vintage gear that I no longer have any room for.  I'm also not really sure what constitutes the term "vintage", but I'm going to assume that like automobiles it means anything over 25 years old.

I have the following pieces that I'd like to restore and auction off, and the restoration ranges from minimal cosmetics  to some electronics work, but nothing too involved in either case as most of this stuff is in really good condition.

1) Pair of extremely good condition JBL L300 Summits.  They've been played very little since they were bought, and I am the second owner.  They are in basically excellent condition except the foam surrounds on the woofers are disintegrating and I've already made arrangements to have these replaced.  The wood and black glass on top is flawless.

2) Marantz 4400 receiver.  Again in excellent cosmetic condition and may or may not have one channel not working so I need advice on where to get this checked out and repaired if necessary.  I don't have any of the add-on units such as the Quad decoder or the remote control, but the scope does appear to be working.

3) Akai GX-747-D open reel tape deck.  Again excellent cosmetic condition, used very little, but needs some cleaning.  This is the one with the glass ferrite heads (6 of them) which are rated for something like 150,000 hours playtime (which means they are basically new).

4) Teac A-6010 open reel deck.  Good cosmetic condition but again, probably needs some clean-up, but also needs the lamp in the left VU meter replaced.  These were apparently quite popular and some say the best reel-to-reel that Teac made.  Vintage is 1972

5) Technics SL-1300 turntable -- haven't looked at this in a long time, but probably needs cleaning.  Don't remember which cartridge is on it, if any.  This is the semi-automatic unit that picks up the arm at the end of play.

6) Micro Seiki DDX-100 with a carbon fiber arm of unknown vintage (still have to figure this out), and an AKG A8e (?) cartridge.  This needs some cleaning up, but otherwise has been used for no more than 10 hours total.

So, any advice on which of these is worth doing work on, what work, who to do the work, and then any advice on how to best seel them would be very much appreciated.  I know the L300s, the Marantz, and the Akai were quite expensive when they first came out and appear to have held their value pretty well, so these are the things I'm most wanting to concentrate on.

I should also say that I live in Boulder, CO, and that I'd like to avoid shipping this stuff all over creation to have the workdone (and will only ship the speakers when they are complete as they weigh 140 pounds each and are the size of dormitory refrigerators.)

TIA to anybody who can help,

Jim

Wayner

Re: Need some advice on restoring and selling some vintage gear
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2006, 10:31 pm »
For the Marantz 4400 receiver, there are 2 fuses on the circuit board from the ouput transistors and 1 of them may be blown as I discoverd on a Marants 4420? I bought for a friends kid. Didn't work on one channel at first, then took off the cover and discovered the board mounted fuse "smoked".

Check that out.

W

jon_010101

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2006, 12:09 am »
Ya know, I'd consider posting this on Audiokarma.org, too... they love vintage gear over there and may be able to give you some good opinions.

frustrated

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2006, 12:21 am »
What are you asking for the L300s?

jrebman

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2006, 01:08 am »
What are you asking for the L300s?

Well, that's part of the problem. Some who know about these things tell me to take no less than $2k, but one guy who I talked to at RMAF, and who is one of the people who put together the LansingHeritage web site said that if they were in as good a condition as I said, that I could get a whole lot more for them than that.  In fact, he predicted that that some Japanese businessmen could get into a bidding war for them.  Right now it looks only as if the surrounds need replacing -- about $80-$100 total cost is what one JBL authorized repair center quoted me.

Are you interested?  If so, drop me a PM and we can discuss.

---

Thanks also to Waynir for the pointer on the fuse -- when I retrieve the 4400 from a dealer friend's house I'll check that out.

---

Thanks also for the pointer to audiokarma -- I'll try poking around there and on the Lansing Heritage forums to see where else this may lead me.

I'd love to keep them but this is the only piece of gear that has failed the WAF test -- but she made up for it by nearly insisting that we get a pair of Acoustic Zen Adagios :).

-- Jim

Berndt

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2006, 11:06 pm »
Hey Jim, I received the micro and it is a beaut!
Thanks!

Berndt

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2006, 11:41 pm »
BTW, it is a micro cf-1 tone arm and an AKG P8E cart.
I can't wait to drop the needle into a groove.

topround

« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2006, 11:48 pm »
I have had Miller sound in PA put new foam surrounds on my epos speakers, they did a great job!
they charged 35$ each for the surrounds, they also do chassis damping and cone balancing.
Their specialty is repairing speakers.
I have no affiliation with them , just a happy customer. :thumb:
Sorry, don't have their number at hand.

mike