Do you read?

Hantra

Do you read?
« on: 30 Jun 2003, 01:59 pm »
What a dumb question!!!!  If you're on a FORUM, of course you read!!!!

I am talking about reading music of course. . .  

How many here read, and do you find it makes you a better musician than if you didn't read?  

I am all tablature myself.  I can even do some transcription in tab. . haha  That's sad.  Then again, Hendrix didn't read. . so. .  :roll:

B

lo mein

Do you read?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2003, 02:44 pm »
It is not going to hurt you, if you can read.

Yes, if one is too stucked up with theory and techniques,
he/she can becomes a master of theory and techniques.

There are many musicians out there like that, their works
are master piece technically, but have no heart and soul.

In other word. Sucks!

Music without heart and soul is dead music.

Tab is okay. But it's not universal. With standard notation. Any
properly trainned musicians can tell how the song sounds right
away, and what/how to play, even if he/she plays a different
instrument.

It will be a lot easier if you write in standard notation.

Standard notation is especially important, if you compose your
own music. You cannot do that with tab.

Yes, I do read and write standard notation, and no, I cannot
read/write tab.

Too lazy, and cannot find any reason to learn tab for myself.

The best way is to learn enough theory, so, you know all the
basic, then, break out and do your own improvisation.

Hendrix is the true GOD OF ELECTRIC GUITAR. So. His case does
not apply to the rest of us.

Alex

JoshK

Do you read?
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2003, 03:23 pm »
I read standard notation like Alex and haven't learned tab as of yet.

cyounkman

had to...
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2003, 05:18 pm »
I was trained classically, so I was reading music since I was 4. In conservatory I learned to read the string clefs and read full score (never incredibly well..).
This probably isn't what you're talking about, though.

mojoman

Do you read?
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2003, 05:40 pm »
I read both standard notation and tab.  I'm not sure being able to do either makes me a better player.  I have a minor in music theory that does help in song analysis, understanding how a song is put together, etc.  Mostly when I'm trying to learn a song I'm doing it by ear.  I use this little Akai box that will let me record 30 seconds of a song and slow it down to about 1/4 speed without changing pitch.   For me, it's faster to learn this way.

lo mein

Do you read?
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2003, 08:47 pm »
mojoman,

No, if you only want to copy a song, you don't really have to know musical theory.

But if you want to improvise. Then, knowing musical theory etc will help a lot.

What if you want to play the same song on another instrument? Or transpost to another key?

If you compose, especially for more than just the guitar part. Or multiple instruments parts/arrangment. Especially if some of the parts needed to be played by some other musicians.

Even with MIDI.

Alex

lo mein

Do you read?
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2003, 08:49 pm »
Quote from: lo mein
mojoman,

No, if you only want to copy a song, you don't really have to know musical theory, or to be able to read music. A good ear will usually do.

But if you want to improvise, or to create, like a real musician does. Not just another copy-cat.  Then, knowing musical theory etc will help a lot.

Even with just the basic.

What if you want to play the same song on another instrument? Or transpost to another key?

If you compose, especially for more than just the guitar part. Or multiple instruments parts/arrangment. Especially if some of the parts needed to be played by some other musicians.

Even with MIDI.

Alex

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Do you read?
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2003, 07:07 am »
Before the 1790's tabulature was THE way plucked guitar pieces were notated. After that the staff notation bacame more common.

I can read both if I work at it. To me both have their place. But I mostly play by ear.

Pez

Do you read?
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2003, 05:44 am »
Quote from: jqp
Before the 1790's tabulature was THE way plucked guitar pieces were notated. After that the staff notation bacame more common.

Actually staff notation came from tabulature. Have you ever noticed how the lines in a staff look a lot like the strings on a stringed instrument?

Any way I read and have for years, bass clef, treble clef, etc. The problem is learning to read for different instruments. It's like knowing a language, but not knowing how to use your vocal cords. :?

Curt

Do you read?
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2003, 05:07 pm »
I "read". I was in Buffalo NY's all high city orchestra when I was 13, played the violin (no jokes please). Later I tried the gutair, liked playing the Fender jazz bass best. Got to read to understand what your doing.

guitarspanker

Theory stuff
« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2003, 07:07 pm »
This can be true but is often used as a cop out to getting down and studying music because of fear of it. The baddest players I know (Scofield, Metheny, David Gilmore (the jazz guy not P. Floyd guy) know the sh*t out of their theory AND have soul to burn.
-Scott

boxhead

Do you read?
« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2003, 03:44 pm »
I read and play the trumpet from 1969 when I was a wee lad. Been playing ever since. One of the hardest things I had to do was when I played a Bb trumpet and had to play E music. It took awhile to transcribe in the head as they say. But once you get used to it, it just gets easier. A lot of the music I play mainly for the local churches, so when tomorrow night and Easter roll around I stay pretty busy. I play a 1971 Custom Yamaha my music teacher at SamHoustonState during bandcamp ordered for me. What a dream this thing is. Only thing I have had to replace are the rubber taps. Of course keeping it oiled up helps considerably. Clark Terry is one of my favorite players. Not to much into the screeching and freeform but mariachi sort of grows on oneself. Cheers.