Aperiodic 8's - what is the minimum power for these?

dburna

Hi,

I managed to pick up a pair of Aperiodic 8's recently.  They both look and sound fabulous.  I'm moving into a new house in a few weeks and these will be doing duty in a basement (second) system in a smallish (10'x12') room with somewhat low ceilings (7-7.5').  Right now I have them powered with an Audio Sector Gainclone amp and the sound is pretty darned good, if a little veiled.  When I hooked them up to my RWS Signature 30, I hear precisely what I was missing, however.  Much more open and alive, not as rolled off on the high end.

In short: the Gainclone is holding back the speakers a bit.  The A8's are certainly not the limiting factor.  Anyway, I wanted to know: what is the minimum power required for the A8's in a small-to-medium size room?  I am considering a low power SET/tube amp to replace the Gainclone and wanted to know how far down in power I can go?  8W?  4W?  Lower?

Thanks in advance,  -dB

onemug

Re: Aperiodic 8's - what is the minimum power for these?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2006, 02:13 am »
We don't know how loud you like to go. I have A8s and have used them with SETs rated from 3.5 wpc to 16 wpc. Roughly speaking, whatever your Sig 30 can max out at, a 3 watt amp will play half as loud.

dburna

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2006, 02:21 am »
In a much larger room than I will be using them in, I ran the Sig 30 at about 12 o'clock (max) for a very short period of time.  Most of the time it was between 9-10 o'clock.  So I guessing I was probably pulling maybe 5-8W with perhaps some larger peaks.

I was figuring that an amp with 4-8W would be enough in terms of volume, but I was wondering if that would be enough to handle dynamic peaks.

Has anyone else tried the A8's with single-digit watt amps?  If so, to what effect.

-dB (a unit measure of noise)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2006, 05:52 am »
I to have a small room and own a pair of A8's. The lowest wattage I have used with them has been 8 watts....a Sophia Baby integrated amp.
And they sounded good.
 I've also run them with 250 watts....and they sounded even better.... :rock:
They can take whatever you throw their way....and they still sound very good.
Once again....nice job Louis !!!! :thumb:

ZLS

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2006, 12:58 pm »
:scratch:    I had a pair of Aperiodic 8's that morphed into the Revolutions. 
    I have run them with a RWA Dual Mono Clari-T (7 Watts) and a rebuilt Heath 151 running EL 84's in Triode mode (7 Watts).  The Omega's sounded terrific with each Amp. 
    I now run the Omega's with a 5881 (6L6) amp running in Triode putting out a mighty 15 Watts.  I am eagerly awaiting my RWA Sig 30 which will put out 30 Watts.  The Omega's sound better.  The speakers really "Open Up" with more quality power.  Why this is I do not know. 
    All of which is to say do not concern yourself with minimum power, concern yourself with the quality of power.  The Visaton B200 driver is very revealing.

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2006, 01:39 am »
Hi dburna,

Great news and I'm very happy you like he RWA/ Aperiodic combo. They have amazing synergy.

Great posts and they are very easy on amp choices. I kind of like high power like Chris. I heard a great amp the other day and it's an amazing deal. The new Dynakit ST70. It goes for $695 as a kit and built for $300 more. The sig 30 attenuator will work as a passive so you wont need a preamp.

Thanks again,
Louis