SP-2 - RS232 questions

mv038856

SP-2 - RS232 questions
« on: 19 Nov 2006, 03:25 pm »
Hi James!

I am working on a Crestron module with some changed/added functionality compared to the module provided on the web page.

I downloaded the SP-1.7 protocol description from the web site.

As with the SP-1.7 module, most SP-2 features can be controlled. However, there are a few things that I came across, that are strange...

1. When in a bypass mode, the status request for the digital mode (SS4) returns "ON". Using the status query to update the digital status on a touchpanel this can be misleading since the bypass mode is supposed to turn anything digital off.

2. When in a bypass mode, the status requests for the surround mode (SS5) and the LCD decoding string (SS6) return an effect mode (e.g. EF03; Dolby ProLogic II+THX) when this has been used on the particular input. (The THX-LED of the SP-2 is lit in this case, which hopefully is wrong, since there shouldn't be any THX post processing in any bypass mode)which is not correct. Using the status query to update status messages on a touchpanel this can be misleading.

I think the two points above are connected in that the SP-2 reports the saved mode for the current input regardless of the change to bypass mode.

3. There are RS-232-commands to control THX EX and DTS ES. When sending a command, the display shows that the command has been received, e.g. "SURROUND-EX OFF". However the display will keep showing "THX SURROUND EX" and the surround back speakers still carry a signal.

I also do have a few suggestions for an improved RS-232 protocol:

1. Add an option in the setup menu to provide auto feedback automatically so that it has not to be re-enabled every time the processor is powered on. Alternatively auto feedback could be enabled by default.

2. Add new commands to directly access a digital or analog input.

3. Add a status query to poll the THX EX/DTS ES status.

An update of the RS-232 protocol documentation would be fine, e.g.:

- SS8 returns bypass status
- SS9 returns mute status
- Sometimes the request for the surround mode returns "SM01", which is not documented.

Are there other undocumented/new RS-232 commands in the SP-2(PRO)?

Do you plan any major changes on the RS-232 interface?

The software on my SP-2 is dated August 4, 2006.

Thanks

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP-2 - RS232 questions
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2006, 05:58 pm »
Hi Markus

Yes I have newer software - Aug 27th.

Email me and I will send you the file.

james