USB DAC

TomW16

USB DAC
« on: 18 Nov 2006, 11:55 pm »
USB DACs seem to be gaining in popularity and would seem to have some advantages in sending the signal directly to the converter chip (not to mention the convenience of having your musical inventory on a hard drive with almost instant access to any song).  If I am not mistaken, I remember reading something a while ago about Frank looking at a USB interface.   

Is an AVA USB DAC still being considered?

Thanks.

Tom

martyo

Re: USB DAC
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2006, 04:21 pm »
Hi,
If you check back to the thread on "streaming audio" on page 2 you'll find Frank's reply to my question. There's probably some way to quote it or link to it that's easier to get you there but I don't know how to do that. Hope this helps.

martyo

TomW16

« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2006, 09:59 pm »
Thanks Martyo.  I believe the quote below is the one you were referencing.

Tom

My prototype tech uses the following unit with excellent results.  It plugs into a USB port on your computer and has both audio and standard digital outputs.  Coming out the digital out into our Ultra DAC and then on to the system provides playback of uncompressed material stored on the computer the equal to any other CD source.  Using the analog audio outputs is not anywhere as musical as you are then using a tiny everything on one chip D to A and filter and analog output circuit.

The unit is called "Instant Music" and is made by ADS Tech.  It is available at our local CompUSA for $50, and Dean says he has purchased  them on sale for $30.

Frank Van Alstine

rlee8394

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2006, 05:01 am »
I would rather have one of Frank's DAC's with multiple inputs instead of just the single input. With CD, DVD, Satellite, and other digital sources, a couple of extra phono jacks and a selector switch would be worth the extra cost to me. Would probably cost less than a redesign to include a USB interface.