Orientation of the AKSA 100 Offset Trimpot (P2)

Martyn

Orientation of the AKSA 100 Offset Trimpot (P2)
« on: 18 Nov 2006, 07:16 am »
Hi, guys.

I have a pair of AKSA 100 output boards that I bought from Hugh refurbished and tested, although they were previously assembled by someone else and later traded in. Strangely, they are assembled differently in that they have the offset trimpots in opposite orientations - one has the adjusting screw facing the capacitors C3 and C11 (i.e. at "top left") while the other has its adjusting screw facing C5 (i.e. at "bottom right").

Should I change one of them (and if so, which?), or should I leave them alone on the basis that Hugh says that the boards have been tested and therefore I would assume that they have been set correctly?

I must admit to being rather bemused by this and am very nervous about proceding and possibly doing some serious damage. Thanks in advance,

Martyn

AKSA

Re: Orientation of the AKSA 100 Offset Trimpot (P2)
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2006, 08:24 am »
Martyn,

Orientation of the trimpot will simply change the direction of turn of the adjuster.  One will be CW for increased bias;  the other, CCW.  No other effect.  For consistency I do try to assemble them myself in the same orientation, but it has no effect on operation, just adjustment sense.  With a DMM connected to the emitters of the output devices you can check bias of the output stage without difficulty.

It has no effect either on operation or sonics.  Jump in, Sir, and trust in Providence!!

Cheers,

Hugh

Martyn

Re: Orientation of the AKSA 100 Offset Trimpot (P2)
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2006, 04:26 pm »
This is what I hoped, although I think I'll still tip-toe rather than jump!