dna sequence

themulehayes

dna sequence
« on: 18 Nov 2006, 01:22 am »
Hello out there: Has any one familiar with this speakers

Imagine: A 95dB efficient, patented, directional point-source/dipole speaker with a naturally smooth response to below 30Hz at the listening position.
Sound too good to be true? Not anymore with the DNA Sequence™ speaker.

Occam

Re: dna sequence
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2006, 03:04 am »
So whats the patent #, so we have a basis for discussion?

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2006, 03:12 am »
A Google search took me to the DNA audio site (www.dnaaudio.com). The patent number listed is: 6,801,631. The uspto link is: PTO Link

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2006, 03:28 am »
IMO $12K seems like a lot of cash for these. 'Course I'm a cheap bastard at heart. :) On the upside the patent lists the Peerless drivers used, at least those used for the patent application.

nodiak

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2006, 04:06 am »
I saw that a few weeks ago and used the lower baffle tray idea for the Augie baffle. Handy little holder for xo, etc.
That's a mighty looking bass driver. Um, alot of mids...Yah the price is nuts.
Don

Davey

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2006, 05:29 am »
Correct link for the Donald North Audio speakers:

http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA-Sequence-Speakers.html

Yes, those are horribly expensive.  They're not really open-baffle either so off-topic for this circle.

Davey.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2006, 02:25 pm by Davey »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2006, 07:31 am »

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2006, 10:51 am »
It has an active crossover between the bass and mids. My guess would be that the quoted sensitivity applied to the upper part.

dnaudio

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2006, 12:06 am »
In answer to the questions in this thread about my DNA Sequence speakers:
1. The midrange/treble section is 95dB/2.83V/1m sensitivity with 8 ohm impedance. The dipole woofer, of course, is much lower sensitivity.
2. The midranges used in the DNA Sequence are not the same model or size as mentioned in the patent text.
3. Regarding their retail price, I wouldn't say they are horribly expensive. I'm a small manufacturer (my full time job is Engineering Director at AuraSound), and limited production specialty items, such as these speakers, are very costly to produce. For example the cabinetry is made here in California (not outsourced to China) by the same hands who made the legendary Infinity IRS V cabinets. Also, I know no other commercial speaker at similar price which uses a woofer as costly as the AuraSound 15" (which I designed a custom version for my speaker). And then there is the active crossover, which is quite unique and topic for a separate discussion.

Donald North

Brad

« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2006, 12:32 am »
That's a pretty spiffy tube xover..... 8)

SET Man

« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2006, 12:44 am »
Hey!

Sorry to jump in. No I don't have OB speaker or looking to buy one. But isn't OB speaker suppose to be open back. Especially with the mid and high drivers of which is to get the open dipole boxless sound of open baffle? :scratch:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2006, 01:16 pm »
Buddy, I'd catagorize that one as a 'hybrid' OpenBaffle.
Most hybrids I've seen are "boxing" the woofs, (to gain bass) and OBing the mids to highs (to gain clarity/openness).
This one is interesting, I'm intriqued, however won't be getting out my credit card for these babies....
A divorce would be much costlier in the long run. :lol:

Bob