A little thanks, and a picture.

Folsom

A little thanks, and a picture.
« on: 17 Nov 2006, 07:01 pm »
I would like to thank everyone that has been of help up to this point in time. This is a picture of my little setup that is in no way capable of being argued of being an audiophile setup or not. It sounds very nice for such a budget. When I say nice I mean like I prefer it over some speakers that cost as much as my entire setup. It is definatly a little "fullrange" oriented, but I love it like that. I still have to assemble my subwoofers because the AR freebie is not the most amazing but honestly bass guitars and drums are quiet clearly those exact insturments.

I still need to figure out a DAC situation, I might be selling some crossover components and a dang nice almost ready chip amp setup to fund it...

Thanks again, in the picture is a 200gram version of Neil Young - Greatest Hits, and it sounds a-tastic-ly-amazing.

Oh yeah and I am going to do a sandbox for the turntable to help isolate it.... Pleasingly enough it never has problems with bass, only if someone jumps near it or taps it.

« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2006, 11:24 pm by Destroyer of Smiles. »

nunhgrader

Re: A little thanks, and a picture.
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2006, 10:27 am »
Cool pic - I dig the fact that you have everything ground level. I used to listen like that as well.

jt1stcav

• Li'l Sammy...she loves directly heated triodes!
    • http://www.freewebs.com/jt1stcav/
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2006, 11:45 pm »
It's simple and straightforward...nothing wrong with that! :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2006, 02:21 am »
I have been modding the hell out of the SD-EX111... Eventually it will be the equivlant of a Red Wine version (Vinnie has helped me some, really cool dude).

I also, thanks to Rim have an anti-static thing on my turntable. (check on way as soon as I find a stamp)

I actually want stands for the speakers, they are DIFFICULT to get in the right place like that... I also want to spread them farther apart so I can angle them in a tiny bit more. I have to make my new speaker cables first though (8-ft this time).

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2006, 02:44 am »
It's simple and straightforward...nothing wrong with that! :thumb:

Hey!

Totally agreed with the you there. :D

One thing I've learned over the year is that when is come to audio price tag won't tell you if the sound will good or bad. High price tag = best sound? Well, not always :wink:

Also, DIY give you more control and you get more for your money :D Well, at least 99% of the time :roll:

Well, look like you need to make a good stands and maybe a nice simple rack to complete your set up :D And I agreed that AC is full of great cool people that could offer lots of helpful idea and solution. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

PS
 What are those drivers anyway? Pioneer?

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2006, 03:29 am »
Yeah they are the B20s. I do not find them to be as sloppy as people have said. I also do not find in my boxes do they play all that low, so with a sub filling in I have no real issue except the rest of my gear needs to kick it up a notch  :thumb:

TIC

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2006, 03:56 am »
DoS,

If you want some great speaker stands for a decent price, check out the "high mass" stands at PartsExpress. I'm using the 12" version with my DIY Hemp Acoustics speakers and they are excellent. They run about $80-$100 depending on size. They are (at least) as good as many of the $150-$200 stands I've seen.

Enjoy,

TIC

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2006, 08:30 am »
Thanks for the suggestion, but I will probably try and make some for under $50 if I do. I mean hmm well I suppose I could not buy food and then to live off of every one I know for a month! That might be fun...

Right now I am trying to assemble a Christmas present for a house hold of friends, so my funds are TIED UP.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2006, 12:04 pm »
Food is highly overrated ;)

Bryan

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2006, 04:11 pm »
  "Food is highly overrated."

Bryan, 
Are you a breatharian? That kind of practice can get you in big trouble here on AC.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2006, 04:32 pm »
DOS,

If you ever get to sacrificing food budget for audio, remember the beans.  My wife claims that she lived on cheap dried beans while putting herself through college.  http://www.americanbean.org/RecipeBook/Home.htm

BTW, don't bother looking for postage to send me a check for the postage. :lol:   It's on me.  I hope it's working. Merry Christmas.

miklorsmith

« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2006, 04:40 pm »
Re:  The stands for speakers - Having them on the floor will give some nice reinforcement in the bass.  Raising them off the floor will lose some of that.  This will make blending the sub more difficult, as it will have to be crossed higher.  Try the mains on chairs before committing to stands.

I bet this rig sounds great, especially on vinyl.  I don't have a vinyl setup and am not planning one but I've heard a couple of more-affordable setups that could teach some of the big bucks digital systems a thing or two.

Kudos to your success and Happy Holidays!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2006, 04:41 pm »
Nah, just a joke for those who were following some of the other threads...

If you saw pics of me from RMAF, I eat plenty ;)

Bryan

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2006, 07:05 pm »
Thanks Rim. It works, and it is very interesting.... I have seen a small arc to it before. It makes it so when I move my tonearm out of it's holder I hear it.... Which is interesting. I also hear a bit more in the "no audio" zone of albums, but then everything goes dead when the music comes alive.

I think when I hardwire some RCA jacks into the volume control board, along with some new capacitors and OPAMPS, I will get a hell of an increase out of the Vinyl side (expecting huge increase in imaging). I never expect the CD side to get too good. I simply just want to have a DAC and use my computer, sometime, maybe Christmas :) .

I will try the chair thing if I can find two matching chairs... We have some old ones from Burger King (some kid's grandparents owned one that lives here) but I only see one at a time :lol: .

I am very pleased with the begining I have. I like listening to my stuff more than I do certain combinations of stuff at the local audio shop. I think it might just be the single driver type thing, that I really enjoy the midrange to grab me. If it can make me want to get up and dance I am doing something right, and I get that at home :thumb: .

Oh yeah I freaking love the song "My City Was Gone" Pretenders - Learning to Crawl on my vinyl end! (given to me by Dave when I bought my turntable from him and a bike)

miklorsmith

« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2006, 07:48 pm »
You are wiser than most even at your young age, Grasshopper.