Easy or Difficult to learn DEQX software?

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
Easy or Difficult to learn DEQX software?
« on: 17 Nov 2006, 01:32 pm »
         Guys I’m really having a had time deciding wether to buy the DEQX with pre or not.   Since some of you own/owned a tact or DEQX you can shed some light.  My concerns are 1) the chances that it is too complicated and would take all of the fun out of it for me.  I am really a plug and play guy.  2) The quality of the preamp.  I have read as a stand alone pre it’s good but not great, but with all the other options it becomes great.  3) The onboard DACs, I was in the process of buying the new Audio Logic 34 and I’m sure at least stock that the DEQX is not in the same ballpark.  Than you read just like with the preamp. That when you combine all the features the end result can’t be beat.  4) Cost approximately $3500. for the unit and 5-7k for Steve Nugent to upgrade.  Now I can afford the 10k but HOLY CRAP that’s a lot of money.  MY Dodd pre and Audio Logic DAC combined would be around $6,000.00 of course there’s no xoer, but there’s a no hassle feature with my currant gear.  I will eventually be getting the new line array that Danny R. has designed if they ever get it into production and I am currently using a pair of Duet’s, Hawthorne Audio OB.s.  Transcendent Sound Highly modified SC150 by Mike G from AC they are 150 watts into 8ohms.  And the plan with the DEQX would be to tri-amp.

I need to bounce this off of a couple of people.  I know everyone has a different opinion but that is what I'm looking for, thoughts from both sides of the fense.  All the best, Guy

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: Easy or Difficult to learn DEQX software?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2006, 01:45 pm »
I'm a minimalst kinda guy, simpler is better kinda thing. Given the budget you're talking about, I'd probably be more inclined to upgrade speakers as you suggest, get a good monobloc set up, transport and dac and focus on room treatment.

That's my two cents.

Cheers

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2006, 03:24 pm »
Guy,

I am a current DEQX owner, but like you have almost said, it isn't for everyone IMO.  For some it will be a breath of fresh air, an impedament remover and the chance to do things too difficult to do otherwise.  For others it is a complicated, tweaky and mediocre.  Which camp you are in depends largely on what you want to do with it and how much you are willing to invest in learning a bit.   

I confess I haven't played around with the real features of it yet, including the software because I have been busy building my amps and speakers.  I don't think I'll have a problem though considering I've been reading the board and generally have an idea of what to do, how to measure, what to measure, etc.

If you are just looking to buy some premade speakers, even custom built for you, the DEQX may or may not be the right avenue.  In my case, I went full on DIY, never to look back, sort of thing, so the DEQX is as much a prototyping tool for me as anything else.  I can either use it as an active DAC/XO/Preamp or just to figure out the best XO topology and points for a particular speaker. 

On the DEQX board (really a mailing group), most users are using complicated multi horn setups as using the DEQX for offset (time) and EQ'ing their horn alignments.  There it makes a lot of sense.  But there are others doing more conventional setups as well.  It really has a lot of power, but if you aren't driven but what you can do with it and have a good idea on your willingness to learn what that is, then it might not be the best avenue for you.  TACT, I see as median between a conventional setup and a DEQX.  A bit less power, more intuitive UI (probably), still a bit of a learning curve to get the most of it but a more typical audiophile sticker price. 

Do you know how bad your room is?  Do you have an idea where your problematic modes are?  If you have a really nice room with good sound treatments the advantage of the room correction (which is most affective in the bass IMO) is lessened, but not ameliorated. 

I too think the DEQX as a DAC/preamp is OK, not bad, but not stellar either.  But twice the item price for a mod is way way too much IMHO.  Everyone has the right to decide that for themselves, but I nearly fell off my chair when I first saw that sticker price. 

Maybe I can help you some more with your decision, but I think I gave you some things to think about and maybe you can fill us in some more on what you see yourself using and wanting to do with such a tool.   Afterall, the power of the DEQX is in how YOU use it. 

Josh

Guys I’m really having a had time deciding wether to buy the DEQX with pre or not.   Since some of you own/owned a tact or DEQX you can shed some light.  My concerns are 1) the chances that it is too complicated and would take all of the fun out of it for me.  I am really a plug and play guy.  2) The quality of the preamp.  I have read as a stand alone pre it’s good but not great, but with all the other options it becomes great.  3) The onboard DACs, I was in the process of buying the new Audio Logic 34 and I’m sure at least stock that the DEQX is not in the same ballpark.  Than you read just like with the preamp. That when you combine all the features the end result can’t be beat.  4) Cost approximately $3500. for the unit and 5-7k for Steve Nugent to upgrade.  Now I can afford the 10k but HOLY CRAP that’s a lot of money.  MY Dodd pre and Audio Logic DAC combined would be around $6,000.00 of course there’s no xoer, but there’s a no hassle feature with my currant gear.  I will eventually be getting the new line array that Danny R. has designed if they ever get it into production and I am currently using a pair of Duet’s, Hawthorne Audio OB.s.  Transcendent Sound Highly modified SC150 by Mike G from AC they are 150 watts into 8ohms.  And the plan with the DEQX would be to tri-amp.

I need to bounce this off of a couple of people.  I know everyone has a different opinion but that is what I'm looking for, thoughts from both sides of the fense.  All the best, Guy

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2006, 03:46 pm »

The software is good but unless you know speaker design you may have trouble optimizing a 3-way. With a line array the DEQX is really helpful but you still need to understand how to measure arrays to get the best results.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2006, 03:47 pm »
very true.

playntheblues

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2006, 04:08 pm »
Thanks Guys,  I will have to ponder this a bit. Josh thank you for taking the time to write that all down it is very helpful.  At 10k fully modded it would certainly be my most expensive piece of gear and I have or even had, I've always been a bang for the buck sort of guy.  Now I have no doubt that there would be BANG but at that price I'm afraid you would be getting into diminishing returns.  I may defer (and have been leaning that way) to a simpler system.

playntheblues

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2006, 11:44 pm »
anyone else want to chime in?

Hipper

« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2006, 10:55 am »
Do you just want the DEQX for room correction, or also for crossovers?

I needed a digital equalizer for room correction only and looked into the DEQX and TACT. From my readings, and speaking to a dealer, they seemed very complicated. I therefore decided to buy a Behringer DEQ2496 to learn about using digital equalizers. This machine, plus microphone, cable and stand cost around $400.

It sits between my CD Transport and DAC and so operates only in digital mode (I also use it occassionally for vinyl and here I use it's ADC but my DAC).

It took around six months to master it (the maual is very basic but there is help on the internet) but once done, it's been a revelation. I now see it as my single most important piece of kit.

I dare say the DEQX and TACT could do just as good a job and maybe better, but I can't believe that they would do the ten times better that would justify their price.

I too don't like to fiddle around too much - I like to listen!

Behringer also make a crossover unit.

I wrote some notes on the VMPS site about my system and how I got there:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=33418.0

Warnerwh on this site also uses a Behringer.

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2006, 05:19 am »
The DEQX uses an excellent analog volume control chip, the PGA2320.  It is quite transparent.  The most important mod for it is upgrading the coupling caps.